Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
There are no property taxes in Delta
I believe that you are correct. That will soon change, however, once they have their own borough. The reason why that will happen is because most of the property tax is to pay for school, fire, etc.

Meanwhile, I have no idea how they are paying for this:
http://www.ci.delta-junction.ak.us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I believe that you are correct. That will soon change, however, once they have their own borough. The reason why that will happen is because most of the property tax is to pay for school, fire, etc.

City of Delta Junction ~ Home Page
The city does receive PILT's -payment in lieu of taxes, from the Pogo mine, possibly more businesses, I don't know. Also received money from the government to build a new school, library, etc when they were setting up missile defense. The town had an election about setting up a borough and it was defeated.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 PM

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...D=1396749&om=1

I found an old story in the Delta Wind on PILT's. Maybe the archives will have a story on your prospective employer, Jilly.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
I don't have time right now to read this whole thread, but I'll just say that I currently live in Delta, and I like it very much. If you have any specific questions about the area, I'd be glad to answer. I work for the local Soil and Water Conservation District (small employer, no jobs open - maybe seasonals in April-May) and make something less than 40K / year including large chunks of unpaid leave. This salary is far more than I need considering I have no dependants. I live in a small dry cabin (without running water) and pay a very low rent of $550/month, but this is a lifestyle choice rather than fiscal requirement. The cabin next to mine is open if anyone's interested. Almost new, very simple but not trashy, 16x16 with half loft, first 100 gallons of fuel free. 100 gallons has brought me from October until now, though we've had a mild winter thus far.

In response to one of the earlier posts, things have gone back towards "normal" since the main construction boom, but prices are still high. Rent for a single unit (cabin with water or appartment) runs $750-$1000. This price is a bit skewed because of the large number of single contractors and seasonals in Delta. Single family residences are probably a bit better deal, but still expensive. As far as food prices go, I haven't found them to be as ridiculous as people make them out to be, though they are high. For a family, you'll want to plan ahead and get non-perishables in bulk at Sam's Club in Fairbanks. Speaking of Fairbanks, people complain about the distance, but that's one of the more attractive aspects of the area to me; far enough to feel like we're in the wilderness, but close enough for a day trip when you've just got to see a movie, go to a concert, whatever. If you come to Delta expecting wild eyed, drunken, bearded prospectors and scoundrels, you'll probably find that... but you'll also be surprized how "normal" most people here are. Very Christian / conservative / liberatarian though. If you're an out-spoken "greenie" or vegetarian, you'll have a hard time, but will still find a few allies.

There's very little in-door recreation in town, just several restaurants and a couple bars. Access to the base will help some, but Greely is very small for an army base, though they do have a Rec Center. If you are not heavily into being outside as part of your lifestyle, you'll hate it here. Hunting, fishing, trapping, 4-wheeling, and snow-machining are all very popular with the locals, and I've found the area to be fantastic for hiking, snowshoeing, packrafting, mountaineering, and backcountry skiing, though you'll find very few "established" trailheads. If you can't embrace the cold, you'll hate it here. We're one of VERY few agricultural communities where the average annual temperature is below zero. First snow in late September, last snow in late April/early May, and full on winter mid-October - early April. Summers are generally warm (70s-80s) and sunny though.

To correct an earlier mistake, high speed internet (DSL) is available in-town, though many people live out of the town itself.

Here's some pictures of the town and immediate area:
Professional Alaska Stock Photography and Alaska pictures. Search results for "delta junction alaska photos". (http://www.alaskaphotographics.com/cgi-bin/script.pl?op=search&keywords=delta+junction+alaska +photos - broken link)

Anyway, I'll stop rambling, if you have any questions, please ask.

Edit: In response to the original question, as far as I can figure, a family would want an income of at least $50K to get by without serious hardship, and $75K for a reasonable level of comfort, but bear in mind that's coming from someone without a family.

Last edited by heathen; 01-25-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
THank you Heathen! I see that my assumptions of Delta are still correct. It probably has not changed much at all since we left.
Tell me, is Pizza Bella open? BIll and LIza still run it? If so, I wonder if the sandwiches are still as good as I recall. Yummy!

I used to work there and of course the Diner and the Cherokee lodge.......

Delta is very charming. We still have the Delta News Web as our homepage.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM

Yes, Pizza Bella is great, and still open, I worked there a bit myself. I heard there is another place for pizza but it is nowhere nearly as good. Where was the Cherokee?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
To be honest, the only place around here I ever grab a bite is at the surprizingly good Delta Pertro Wash (first gas station on the left as you come into town from the south). From what I hear though, the new Birch Brothers Pizza isn't bad. Oh and the Poorboy Cafe or whatever it's called (by the "salon") makes completely ridiculous hamburgers. Thumbs up from me! Good bakery at the IGA too.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Some recent news about some Delta Junction residents:
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Three Delta Junction men charged in caribou killings

Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Some recent news about some Delta Junction residents:
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Three Delta Junction men charged in caribou killings

I guess that goes on a lot, unfortunately. It's one thing to feed your family but waste is unexcusable! On a lighter, but also sad note, the Buffalo Diner closed their doors for good and will now be opening a restaurant in North Pole.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:55 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
Quote:

City of Delta Junction ~ Home Page
Nah, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. The locals do NOT want a borough and there is not enough of a tax base in any of the proposed areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska