Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Kyle, you'll do fine here. People in Alaska aren't judgemental at all.
Sorry to have to break it to you, but if the guy blows in to rural Alaska showing the kind of attitude that he has here, the people are going to be what someone like you would probably call "judgmental". He'll only do "fine" if he acts like a professional but commentary in another thread rather reveals that he's a bit overly concerned that someone's going to spit in his donuts or some such.

Nice of you to speak for rural Alaska, though. Maybe one of these days you'll actually get to see it firsthand yourself.

Like it or not, there is an animosity that exists in rural villages towards outside troopers and it's of a different kind that you'll see in lower 48 small towns.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-26-2010 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 AM

355 posts, read 818,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sorry to have to break it to you, but if the guy blows in to rural Alaska showing the kind of attitude that he has here, the people are going to be what someone like you would probably call "judgmental". He'll only do "fine" if he acts like a professional but commentary in another thread rather reveals that he's a bit overly concerned that someone's going to spit in his donuts or some such.

Nice of you to speak for rural Alaska, though. Maybe one of these days you'll actually get to see it firsthand yourself.

Like it or not, there is an animosity that exists in rural villages towards outside troopers and it's of a different kind that you'll see in lower 48 small towns.
Well that settles it. God...cough...cough...I mean Met has spoken. I can't come to Alaska folks....sorry. The chosen one said my attitude is not right for it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Sorry I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, but that's already been done by people who have no experience living in the villages.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM

Honestly Met I am quite confident in my ability to do a good job in Alaska, even in the Bush. I'm quite capable of being non-biased in my LE work. That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on something though. I had to deal with thugs here of all colors, shapes, sizes, etc.

I'm sorry you don't approve of my politcal viewpoints, nor do you agree with what I said in other threads, but guess what? Having different views is what makes us individuals. We don't have to agree 100% of the time.

Even though I don't like the way you treat some folks on here, and you think your never wrong, I'd gladly lay my life down to protect yours. Maybe I'll get an assignment ( if I make it into the academy...BIG IF ) in Bethel sometime and I can show ya in person I'm not a bad person like you think.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,808,727 times
23 year-old "lawman" has been watching too much Discovery Channel.....we knew this would happen once that Alaska State Troopers program began.

No doubt they would put a 23 year old way out in no-where Alaska for a few years where he couldn't bother too many people and create the state a financial liability when he screws up like Jesse Osborn

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
1. You're not really sorry at all to "break it to me". You greatly enjoy imparting your wisdom on the unsuspecting public who visit this site.

2. You don't know anything about "somone like me".

3. Spitting in his donuts? More generalizations? About donuts and cops? How cliche. Spitting - crushed glass - other sorts of nastiness imbedded in food eaten by officers is a well-known retaliation method. Many officers refuse out of hand to eat food in restaurants that they have not watched preparers put together. And rightly so.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Kyle, Alaska is like any other State; meaning being friendly, open-minded and open to new experiences is what's required. I don't see you having a problem in any of those. The villages at first will be a bit of culture shock if you are stationed there but you can learn alot from the people living there. "No-one" fits in with "everybody" - that's how life is and this is true no matter where one goes. As I said you can't take the forums as being totally representative of a State, nor do you need anyone's approval to move to Alaska or any other State.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Thanks Juneau and Pat, I appreciate your support.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
You're very welcome.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
You'll fit in if you don't bring your "this is how we did it down state and this is how it should be done here" attitude. Everyone in bush Alaska hates it when new Troopers bring this attitude with them and use it out here. No one likes change, you will find out if you try to change anyone out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska