Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 PM

124 posts, read 276,666 times

Advertisements

I continue to look online at various real estate offerings around Wasilla/Palmer. I'm looking forward to finding a spot to call home.

However, a few people have cautioned me that it might be wise to rent until Spring/Summer so that I can get a clear look at the ground and growth. One woman relayed that she bought her house in mid winter when it was all covered in snow. When spring thaw came she found her yard COVERED in scattered old spark plugs. She nearly filled a 55 gallon drum with them when she picked them all up.

What the???

Anybody else find surprises at snow melt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
I fine "land mines" every spring...

I have 3 dogs.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Well maybe not spark plugs, but you will find all sorts of treasures if you don't get to see what it looks like with the snow melted first.

You can always lease a place with an option to buy so you can wait till spring to see if the place is really what you want.

Marty, can probably help you with that since that is his market area for real estate.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
doesn't matter in what state you are!! when we bought our house (in winter) it was a foreclosure, empty for a yr or so. The bank told us it had a big stone patio out front...yup...36x15 deck! gave us a property diagram where the septic was....yup the huge bulldozer doing landscaping found that it was completely on the other side of the house!!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
When you buy a vacant house, esp a foreclosure, you may find some interesting things when the snow melts. On the other hand, you can usually negotiate a better deal in the winter because buyers scarce and sellers are more willing to deal.

There are good and bad points about both. One thing I like about winter is that it shows up the energy weaknesses in the structure that don't show in the summer. I like to use my point and shoot thermometer to check out the corners, windows and outlets. You would be surprised how cold the outlets are in a lot of houses.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
We found (all buried under the snow) sheetrock chunks, garbage bags, light bulbs, etc....then in the house the frost that built with the deep freeze on the inside walls and was oozing out an outlet. When we investigated found a hidden doggie door, hence screwed a big piece of styrofoam on the wall after stuffing insulation in the hole until spring...

Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
Really we did find stuff, broken beer bottles all over the yard. I've picked up most of it, but it keeps springing up. What really worries me is the dogs cutting their feet. The only word I have for people that do this kind of stuff are a**holes, no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska