Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So you think you have a right to part of the PFD? File a class action lawsuit then and see how far that gets ya.

I don't get the PFD myself anymore; I'm out of state during the winter too much. I suppose I could be eligible but wth, I don't care much.
Then you could join the class action suit. Are you an American or an Alaskan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Who purchased Alaska from Russia, the citizens or the Federal Government?
The Federal Government purchased Alaska so anything there belongs to the citizens of the United States
And you know what? A large portion goes to the Federal Government. Alaska just happened to save a portion of it's share to invest in Alaska's future. Hope you're enjoying your share of the Federal Government's portion.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
I believe in the concept of "Alaska First".

I tend not to waste my time with losing propositions so I'll have to pass on that lawsuit...

The oil royalties would amount to pennies per person if it were distributed among everyone in the U.S. If it means that much to you, I'll send ya the change in the ashtray of my fish truck.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,862 times
Quote:
Hmmmm....
All Alaskans are Americans (that whole 49th state thing)
Not all Americans are Alaskans

But lets go with that class action thing.
(bear with my elementary math and basic web snooping skills)

Alaska census 2008...............686,293
Permanent fund eligible 2008...610,768
So roughly 88.99% of state is eligible to share.

Estimate of 2008 dividend is.... $3,269
(dividend of 2,069 and one time Alaska Resource rebate of $1,200)

Total dividend pool (less one time rebate)...$1,263,671,865

Now the total population of the US in 2008 was 304,059,724
actually as of 7/1/09)
Assuming the same eligibility of 88.99% would be 270,582,749

Out of that dividend pool then each US citizen would be entitled to $4.67
assuming all the legal wrangling is done for free
Now the benchmark on class actions is 25% of the award for the firms bringing the case. So if the lower 48 (and Hawaii) brought a class action the lawyers cut could be $315,192,311.

Oh yeah and that reduces everyones cut from the whoping $4.67 down
to $3.51.

Think I might want a happy meal for dinner so sign me up!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
Quote:
Who purchased Alaska from Russia, the citizens or the Federal Government?
The Federal Government purchased Alaska so anything there belongs to the citizens of the United States
OK, since you're on a roll, let's discuss the Louisiana Purchase.....remember that one?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM

123 posts, read 867,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
If you have a whole passel of kids, each of them gets the same as mom and pop. Problem is, you are responsible for how you spend their money.
The Duggars would make a fortune! LOLOL. jk (not like they aren't already with the shows! lol)

On a more serious note, I highly doubt anyone would seriously consider moving there for the pfD, sounds like the OP was just curious. I'd never heard that myth though.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
The Duggars would make a fortune! LOLOL. jk (not like they aren't already with the shows! lol)

On a more serious note, I highly doubt anyone would seriously consider moving there for the pfD, sounds like the OP was just curious. I'd never heard that myth though.
Way back in the day, before we enacted some pretty strict requirements for receiving the PFD, a couple of idjits with 13 or so kids moved up strictly to get it. They lived here six months--back then that was all that was required--and then split the state the day they cashed the checks. Of course we were well rid of them, and a few years later, the residency requirements for the PFD got a lot more stringent.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM

123 posts, read 867,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Way back in the day, before we enacted some pretty strict requirements for receiving the PFD, a couple of idjits with 13 or so kids moved up strictly to get it. They lived here six months--back then that was all that was required--and then split the state the day they cashed the checks. Of course we were well rid of them, and a few years later, the residency requirements for the PFD got a lot more stringent.
Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!! LOL, u never know it could have been a Duggar! 7 yrs later, 7 kids.. lolol. I like them, it's just fun to pick on em. Birthing 2000 kids takes Guts! Good for Alaska upping the minimum, sucks when leeches try to take advantage. Good move to that decision maker!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
OK, since you're on a roll, let's discuss the Louisiana Purchase.....remember that one?
Is Lousiana giving out money?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
Quote:
Is Lousiana giving out money?
sure, if you're a welfare vulture.

In the La. Purchase, the Fed Govt bought a 14 state area from France. Where's my chunk of the pie?
Alaska is just one state. Why don't you start a class action lawsuit about the La. Purchase first, you can get paid off in corn and pig sh$t, and maybe grab a welfare check at the same time.

You heard it here first...the PFD requirements are about to get more strict.

Last edited by DannyL; 07-28-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska