Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times

Advertisements

oh hell. The post I was responding to was deleted and now it looks like I was referring to wartman as manna from heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
who me?--who? me?--who?! me?!

(its w-a-r-p-t-m-a-n)

Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
oh hell. The post I was responding to was deleted and now it looks like I was referring to wartman as manna from heaven.
Yeah, I was wondering about that...

Wartman... hee hee. I'd feel bad, but he totally should have seen that coming when he picked the username.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:31 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
You guys make me laugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that...
Wartman... hee hee. I'd feel bad, but he totally should have seen that coming when he picked the username.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:39 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Tis I, Sir Wart!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:39 AM

35 posts, read 117,163 times
Default Reality check

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
People are free to choose as they may, but an informed choice is usually preferable to the alternative.

Informed decisions usually allow those same fantasy harboring individuals the ability to avoid having too much unwished for reality having the opportunity to intrude on their fantasy.
There we go... I've been robbed, mugged, vandalized and almost had my house torched by fireworks tossed through an open window. Anchorage has become an incubator for crime that spreads throughout the state. By tolerating disrespectful behavior, the city nurtures an environment where crime can flourish.
Violent crime in Anchorage is up almost 25 percent. We are the seventh most violent city in the USA, with a violent crime rate that is double the national average. Yet Mayor Begich recently told the Chamber of Commerce that the state of the city was excellent. Excellent? Our police are chasing jaywalkers; our Assembly is after dog poop and legalizing fireworks. One Assembly member even suggests Anchorage is a sanctuary city for illegal aliens; when in fact we're a sanctuary city for criminals and corrupt politicians.
Is Anchorage still a great place to visit, raise a family or retire? Since 1999 there have been over 140 murders, over 1,800 reported rapes, over 83,000 reported robberies, burglaries and thefts, plus over 10,000 reported assaults and hundreds of cases of arson.
In Dan Fagan's July 8 column "Police doing their jobs need backup," he notes that in 2003 and 2004 there were 4,737 felony arrests but only 62 went to trial.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:24 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
Dman. You must live in the very worst part of town. I've lived here all my life and have yet to experience any of those.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,048,831 times
rance,

You live in Sterling, not Anchorage. Anchorage, with rape at two and a half times the national average is a far different place than Sterling.

Perhaps you might comment on the children who were recently robbed of their Halloween candy at gunpoint, kids who were told to hand over their loot or be killed.

Violent crime in the state of Alaska is up 1000 percent since 1960. We have carjackings ending in murder, (the murderer was a hitchhiker who liked the truck so killed the driver who gave him a ride), gang shootings on the streets, in the malls and at the movie theaters, home invasions and home invasions which end in murder of the occupants. Meth labs, tweakers, heroin addicts and the robberies to support them.

You might have escaped being a personal target, but it's not very honest to try to portray Alaska as being at all a safer place than any other crime ridden state.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
I live in Sterling yes. But I've lived in Anchorage on more than one occasion. I'm in that city at least every 2 weeks. Where a person hangs out and who they hang with plays a very big role in the environment. It does not bother me a bit to walk anywhere in that town. Day or night. Done it a thousand times and will continue to do so. And yes I do think Alaska is safer than any other crime ridden town. How about I portray Alaska as I honestly see it...not as some paranoid says they see it. If your surrounded by so much negativity...maybe you should move to another town or state? I get the impression your not happy here.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,048,831 times
The fact that Alaska has the highest rape rate in the nation is not a function of where I choose to live and it has nothing to do with what you may perceive as my 'negativity'.

It's a fact. Pure and simple.

Funny that your attempt is to portray those facts a only a consequence of what you want to label as 'my unhappiness'.

I thought you were supposed to address the subject matter on this forum and not attack the person.

I see you not liking the message, so your tactic is to attempt to portray the the messenger as unreliable or untrustworthy, as having some 'personal' problem that explains why this person won't just conform to your view.

That kind of thing is not at all mature, and it's certainly impolite behavior on your part.

Bad example you're setting here, Rance.

Try to address the facts and not attack those who may hold a different view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska