Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:35 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times

Advertisements

Yeah we tend to rotate out citizens...and bring in fresh every so often. Keeps things interesting. And 1 out of 10 actually stay awhile. So we manage to have some sort of population all the time! Been like that since the 1800's I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 02:11 AM

69 posts, read 321,138 times
One of my first jobs in Alaska was for Mr. Whitekeys at the Fly By Night club. Back when it was down on Lake Spenard. The Flying Machine was was right next to it. I believe the Clarion hotel sits on the spot now.

My first Christmas Eve 1980 was at Mr. Whitekeys drinking spiked punch and grating cheese for nachos. My rude awakening to Alaska was "its Christmas and everyones at the bar."

With people lined up outside in 20 below waiting to come in.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:27 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,233,078 times
I mourn the passing of the Whale Fat Follies and Springtime in Spenard.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:42 PM

25 posts, read 79,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
I can't give actual statistics, but from my experience having lived in AK for almost 22 years of the five closest families we knew who also lived in AK for at least twenty-years, only one remains and that is until retirement from a govt job and then they too will hit the ALCAN.

My actual statistics are that 4 of my closest families moved to Alaska. 2 moved there about 18 yeas ago, 1 moved there about 10 years ago, and 1 has been there about 5 years. None of them have any plans of ever leaving the state. These are the people we visit every year. I have always been envious of where they live. The only reason we haven't moved there already was because of my employment. I started at 17, I am 47 now, so I have my 30 years in and can draw my retirement. Even though I don't plan on retiring for another 5 or 10 years I do want to do something else. I am sick of the concrete environment. Unless I drive out of the city my wildlife consist of a couple of squirrels or city chickens (pigeons). I'm sick of the 3 hour rush hour traffic jams. I was born and raised on a small farm in Iowa, I only moved to the cities to provide a better living for my children. They are grown now and on their own. So this is my time.

Quote:
Yeah we tend to rotate out citizens...and bring in fresh every so often. Keeps things interesting. And 1 out of 10 actually stay awhile. So we manage to have some sort of population all the time! Been like that since the 1800's I think.
My wife was a real-estate broker for 20 years. She has helped thousands of people move in and out of Michigan. I would agree that Alaska may have a higher turn over but all States have their share.

I'm looking forward to our move there in 2 weeks. I can only hope it will be everything I think it will.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Then welcome to Alaska. I hope you find your stay enjoyable and rewarding. And feel free to stop in here and ask about anything once your here.

Last edited by Rance; 06-16-2007 at 11:19 AM..

Old 06-16-2007, 12:19 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default rotation

Personally, I'm hoping to rotate BACK to Alaska in short order. Be there this Sunday for a visit.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Welcome back rotorhead! Hope you find everthing as you left it.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default Good Lord...I hope not...

Good Lord...I hope not...I thought you guys were working on things while I was gone.

Say, did you ever get that bridge in Soldotna fixed? Sure was a mess last time I was there. On the other hand, it did detour me into the Dairy Queen there for a burger and a blizzard.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Good Lord...I hope not...I thought you guys were working on things while I was gone.

Say, did you ever get that bridge in Soldotna fixed? Sure was a mess last time I was there. On the other hand, it did detour me into the Dairy Queen there for a burger and a blizzard.
HA! You're funny.

That bridge is STILL under construction here. The local paper had a poll as to when it would be finished - July 4, Labor Day, or Memorial Day 2008! Memorial Day won. I'm actually thinking it may have a chance to be finished soon though - they have poured a lot of concrete for it; but as for now, we've still got the two-lane "temporary" bridge. It is not fun crossing the bridge on the weekends.

Oh, and Mark, glad to have you moving up here! I moved to Soldotna in October of last year. Folks told me I was nuts for moving into town right before the winter, and they're probably right, but I wanted to see how I'd do ... and I'm still here, so I guess I did ok. I'm from Maryland, and if I can survive the winter here I'm sure you can. The hospital is nowhere close to a big-city hospital but has recently become very technically advanced - better stuff even than some places Outside (in the lower 48).

Today was the most beautiful day of the year here so far - 74 degrees and lots and lots and lots of sun. I was out on my bicycle for a couple hours enjoying it. I'm still getting used to the long days of sun but I'm getting better adjusted to sleeping through it as time goes on.

Of course, I'm up posting at 11:30 and should be in bed, but oh well!

- Chip

Old 06-17-2007, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,774 times
I too am considering a move to anchorage. I am being recruited by the school district there. I have no concerns about the weather, wisconsin, is not that great either. i go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. What's the dif? But I am concerned about where to live in the anchorage area. Should I look for a place in Wasilla? I have two girls, 9th and 6th grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska