Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Yeah, people move in and out of here for all sorts of reasons, but for some reason this state attracts a lot of types who think it's somehow going to fix something that's wrong in their lives, and the reality often doesn't measure up.

The dark up around the Fairbanks area is easier for some to take because it's more open there, and more winter sun than in SE. You're on the right track PR2, staying active is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 04:34 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Well, I am all for hiking and doing stuff. I was out doing alot of cross country skiing and snow shoeing in all that nice snow you guys had up in SE last winter. I was out alot---and loved it. But honestly, how much outside stuff can you do when it's constantly drizzling or sometimes steady downpouring, with the wind in your face. Comparatively, I've lived in harsh winter climates. The Pac NW isn't it. But really---you can only do so many outdoor things in the rain and then it just isn't fun to do them anymore. You can't really bike. you can't really see anything (scenery) when you have that low cloud cover and fog. I am very active, but the endless days of rain and gray are really a show stopper. I would rather take the winters where you get dumped on but still see the sun in a few days. I love the natural beauty of AK and if I do end up there, it will be where there is at least a bit more sun throughout the years. I've lived in cold and I've lived without sun---and I would rather do the cold than the latter.

Just my .02
Cobolt

Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 PM

Yeah--SE-- I agree with you there, but the comment about staying active was made to PR2 who I believe talking about moving farther north. I wouldn't spend another winter in SE Alaska for anything for the reasons you described. Much more sun farther north, and like you, the cold doesn't get to me nearly as much as the dreary drizzle and grayness of SE.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-20-2007 at 08:32 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
I'm glad this thread got people thinking. Didn't expect it, but glad it happened.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:58 PM

It really does get you thinking. But hey, Danny---Juneau was my first experience with Alaska and it will always be my first love. Soggy weather or not, I'll always have a special place for Juneau. It's what has got me exploring AK in the first place!

cobolt

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 PM

My first experience with Alaska was Prince of Wales Island, but my first love was Talkeetna, and remains so. There really is nothing like the true north.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM

I'm heading true north next year for some exploring---I am certain I will find even more to love. I think it is important though, to know the realities of a place (lots of cloudy days/rain, short days, cold weather etc) and be honest with yourself about what your limitations are and what you can handle. Summer is short, winter is long, reality checks are good things.

Cobolt

Old 08-31-2007, 04:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Talking Ditch-Diving Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
But still and all, winter driving skills aren't exactly an Alaska exclusive.
Alaskans have winter driving skills? You could've fooled me. Personally, I stay home the first day it really snows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Funny how all the cars in the ditch along the Glen after the first big snow all have Alaska plates. They're the ones who waited too long to get to Johnsons Tire and switch out.
And you aren't talking about a small number of vehicles either. There are more ditch-divers the first day of snow than there are mile-markers on the highway.

I just assume that they are the new people who moved to Alaska during the summer from some warm climate and have never experienced icy roads before. After their first winter or two, they have to get better, don't they?

Old 09-01-2007, 01:50 PM

35 posts, read 117,077 times
People stay in Alaska because they have no money to move else where. The housing up here is actualy affordable compared to the lower 48. I am still trying to figure out what kind of jobs peope have to buy houses over $400K.
For those who is deciding to move or not to move, please don't confuse cold and snow with DARKNESS. It is not that cold up here, it is DARKKKKKKKKKKKK

Old 09-01-2007, 03:42 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
I have the money and wherewithal to move, but who wants to? Winter might be dark, but it's a small price to pay for the summer. Each to his/her own. If you want to move, a family of four will get $6000 this year from the state, and that's enough to drag up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska