Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Oh boy, look out guys, if this gets very widely known there will be thousands coming to Alaska and having babies every 11 months
Too late, the secret is out Between 1960 and 2000 Alaska's population has tripled and has more children per capita than any other state in the Union. Hmmmmm.... That may also explain why Alaska has the highest suicide rate per capita in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
People need to know that they can't just drive to Alaska and collect their check when they cross the border. They need to live here for a full year before they are eligible for the money.

I work with people all the time who expect that they should qualify for the permanent fund dividend when they have an Alaska address, job and drivers license. So Sorry.

But that is what keeps a lot of people in the state.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Two years actually. They must be an Alaskan citizen for one year before they qualify for the dividend checks, and it takes one year for a resident to become an Alaskan citizen. Plus, if they arrive after March, they will have to wait an additional third year before they receive their first check. Of course if they are born in Alaska, they are automatically Alaskan citizens, no waiting period required.

There are additional disqualifiers as well, such has leaving the state for more than 90 days in a given year. Plus, any one who received state welfare in that year has that amount automatically deducted from their dividend check. There is a long list of qualifications and disqualifications, and what those dividend checks can be used for. Too many to get into in this thread, but if you are interested, check out the State of Alaska, Department of Revenue, Permanent Fund Dividend Division website for more information.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashaloves View Post
my husband and I are thinking of making the big move up to alaska from colorado. We both have always wanted to but never have.
whats the best way to move up there...anyone know
SWIM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
could you explain this to me? I may be dense but I don't understand, the State pays people to move there?
If I recall, I wrote a semi-serious look at the PFD (not to be confused with a lifejacket, or those things that always slow down your computer wanting to update Adobe Acrobat) https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...2-pfd-you.html
All the best...

Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 PM

58 posts, read 313,101 times
is it cheaper to fdrive then to fly?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 PM

58 posts, read 313,101 times
opps my bad from texas to ak, yes weve lived in snwy weather yes we know it gets cold, were nature lovin ppl

Old 11-08-2007, 09:26 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
Why aren't people reading the archives to answer these same questions about moving up??? It gets annoying sometimes.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
Coming from Texas your looking at 400 to 800 bucks to fly. Depending on how you eat and sleep on the road (hotels/restraunts), I don't think you can drive it that cheap.

And please do look through the older threads. You can even use the "search" feature and find some good info that has been re-told on many occasions.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Xa'at, Thank you for the explanation. I am not thinking of moving to Alaska. I just didn't understand PFD. I do like this forum, the people are great and I learn something new all the time. What money people do get from PFD is certainly not enough to offset the cost of living. I admire people that have "life skills" and can actually survive without a Mcdonalds and a Wal-mart in town. I live in a very small town and learned early to cook, sew, and preserve food. We do have excellant fishing (including salmon) and hunting here and I do usually have a garden and go to the farms for staples. Extreme weather aside,.. life here, in the rural areas of Maine is somewhat similar.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
There is a big difference between the rural areas of Alaska and Maine. The biggest one is that in Maine you can drive away and into a big city unlike most parts of Alaska. There are no similarities in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska