Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
There is a big difference between the rural areas of Alaska and Maine. The biggest one is that in Maine you can drive away and into a big city unlike most parts of Alaska. There are no similarities in my book.
That's not true. There are many similarities... Maine is mountainous, cold, low population density, etc. Just because it isn't as intense as some of Alaska doesn't mean there are no similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Was talking about being able to leave Maine by car, out here in the "real" Alaska, we have to fly Alaska "rip-you-off" Airlines.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 PM

251 posts, read 706,959 times
Warptman,

I looked at the prices to go to Anchorage from Bethel and they don't seem too bad.
A bit more for the mileage than a comparable flight in the lower 48, but not excessively so IMHO.
(I frequently fly to Dallas TX from New Orleans LA at about $200 round trip.)

The big question I have is how often does the airport (particularly in Bethel) have to close air traffic due to weather conditions?

As an aside, this is most certainly not an attack or criticism of your post- you have really helped me out a lot in figuring out my arrival.
Just wanted to know.

Best,
-Merlin

Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
I worked with someone last summer who said she had a right to consider herself an Alaskan even though she had never spent a winter here because she had spent winters in Maine. Bs, bs, bs. There are of course many similarities but the real differences are what makes the real difference.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 PM

The state DOT workers do a good job keeping the runway open during the normal hours. They have a whole fleet of snow removal equipment. Unless it is zero-zero, they close it down. The airplanes now a days have good instruments for ILS approaches, they don't make the runway the first few times, they fly back to Anchorage.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Hiya Warpt! I meant some similarities in lifestyle. Yes, I can get in a car and drive away. To go to the "lower 47" it is a four hour drive, and I like it that way. We have a true value and an IGA, though the IGA is independantly owned and operated as a "farmers union". I'm not Alaskan,... lol I'm a Maine-Iac

Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Hiya Warpt! I meant some similarities in lifestyle. Yes, I can get in a car and drive away. To go to the "lower 47" it is a four hour drive, and I like it that way. We have a true value and an IGA, though the IGA is independantly owned and operated as a "farmers union". I'm not Alaskan,... lol I'm a Maine-Iac
Lower 47? That's pushing it. Of all the states I've been to (I've seen most of 'em) Idaho has been by far the closest to Alaska, and I don't mean geographically. I wouldn't be able to survive here if it wasn't! (as it is I'm still chickening out and running, well ferrying, home with tail tucked between my legs... )

Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
It was a joke,... I've seen the phrase here "the lower 48" and I was just joking. Everyone has a place that's home to them, it's a wonderful thing to know that it's always there for you to come back to. I came back home this summer after being away for a little over a year, so I understand a LITTLE how it is to be homesick. Though my parants are both long gone Maine is and always will be home. My best to you all.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM

One of these years I'll hop in my truck and do the rest of the states. I have around 35 left to go including Hawaii, but you can't drive there.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
One of these years I'll hop in my truck and do the rest of the states. I have around 35 left to go including Hawaii, but you can't drive there.
Well, technically you can... but you'd probably die of either hypothermia, H2O overdose (drowning), being crushed, etc...
But your dead body, if it can continue driving... Might make it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska