Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Advertisements

Just thought of something, I live in Alaska where the duct tape and bailing wire are used everyday. Could McGoober something together like tape on some pontoons onto the sides and use the wire to mount a outboard to the tailgate of the truck. Sometimes I scare myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Red Green could do it. I say you just close the winders REAL tight like and drive like a maniac. I'm sure there's a gas station or 2 down there.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
That's not true. There are many similarities... Maine is mountainous, cold, low population density, etc. Just because it isn't as intense as some of Alaska doesn't mean there are no similarities.
LOL! Too funny. What Maine calls "mountains" we call frost-heaves in Alaska. There are more mountain ranges in Alaska than all the lower-48 combined. We've got national parks bigger than the entire state of Maine. There is one Alaskan for every 527 acres in Alaska. By comparison Maine is WAY overcrowded. As small as Maine is, they still have more roads than Alaska, so it isn't like you can ever be truly remote. Maine simply isn't far enough north to experience the same kind of cold we get in Alaska's interior. The only similarity between Maine and Alaska is that they are both US states. Maine isn't even as far east as Alaska.

Last edited by Glitch; 11-09-2007 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 01:27 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
LOL! Too funny. What Maine calls "mountains" we call frost-heaves in Alaska. There are more mountain ranges in Alaska than all the lower-48 combined. We've got national parks bigger than the entire state of Maine. There is one Alaskan for every 527 acres in Alaska. By comparison Maine is WAY overcrowded. As small as Maine is, they still have more roads than Alaska, so it isn't like you can ever be truly remote. Maine simply isn't far enough north to experience the same kind of cold we get in Alaska's interior. The only similarity between Maine and Alaska is that they are both US states. Maine isn't even as far east as Alaska.
Why the hate? For one thing, the phrase "one alaskan for ever 527 acres" is beyond misleading; nearly all of those people are concentrated in towns. In fact, half of them live in either Anchorage, Juneau, or Fairbanks. Another 57,000 people live in cities of at least 5,000 people.
I'm really surprised at the things you guys are saying. I had no idea some Alaskans are so xenophobic and stubbornly proud. Shame on you.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Could you please not use words we have to look up online???

Xenophobic...fear of foreigners or strangers...

You are making me a Logophobia- Fear of words.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 PM

35 posts, read 117,077 times
Default Things to know about Anchorage.

It is not safe any longer. Just read the headlines of the Anchorage Daily News. Drive by shootings, gangs, rapes.....it is not safe for women. And I am not even talking about crimes against property. The latest news involving an absolutely innocent person- she was shot inside her home by someone hiding in her fenced backyard.
Add to that real "professional" skills of APD when they decide to chase a car thief, who only becomes public safety threat after they start chasing him, thus exposing innocent bystanders to risk of being shot by a police or run over by a fleeing thief. It happened more than once and people got killed or seriously injured because of that practice. I could never figure out why they start chasing them. What is the rush? That is how crime against property becomes a crime against person. Car thief should be caught, but not at the price of someone’s life.
Driving in Anchorage during winter is extremely stressful. You have to have nerves of steel. Darkness and icy roads have no effect on driving habits of many. They continuously expose you and your family to a grave risk of being killed or injured in a car accident. Just read letters to the editor to see people's concerns. Driving to Alyeska (ski resort) is dangerous during bright dry sunny days, think what it is like in a complete darkness and icy roads. City officials keep saying there is nothing wrong with that road.
Come to Alaska after snow has melted- you will see the real beauty-trash is everywhere and it stays that way for weeks, until first city wide clean up that doesn't start until mid May.
Finally winter is over, trashed picked up, and you finally ready to enjoy summer...but at a blink of an eye it is over....and you should have enough patience to wait for another summer.
If you are a single woman or family, think twice before coming to Anchorage.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Xa'at and Warptman: you guys crack me up.

Cheburashka: at least your police DO something about car thieves, which is more than what would happen in WA. Someone steal your car in WA? Too bad. Car theft in W WA is some of the highest in the nation because it's rarely punished, much less pursued.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:25 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I am so enjoying this thread..What a great place to come and laugh a little..I 've had you guys in my subscriptions for a few days now... See you never know whose hidin' in the shadows...

Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,178,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Could you please not use words we have to look up online???

Xenophobic...fear of foreigners or strangers...

You are making me a Logophobia- Fear of words.

Quote:
Xa'at--Why the hate? For one thing, the phrase "one alaskan for ever 527 acres" is beyond misleading; nearly all of those people are concentrated in towns. In fact, half of them live in either Anchorage, Juneau, or Fairbanks. Another 57,000 people live in cities of at least 5,000 people.
I'm really surprised at the things you guys are saying. I had no idea some Alaskans are so xenophobic and stubbornly proud. Shame on you.
Go XA'AT, Go XA'AT!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheburashka View Post
It is not safe any longer. Just read the headlines of the Anchorage Daily News. Drive by shootings, gangs, rapes.....it is not safe for women. And I am not even talking about crimes against property. The latest news involving an absolutely innocent person- she was shot inside her home by someone hiding in her fenced backyard.
Add to that real "professional" skills of APD when they decide to chase a car thief, who only becomes public safety threat after they start chasing him, thus exposing innocent bystanders to risk of being shot by a police or run over by a fleeing thief. It happened more than once and people got killed or seriously injured because of that practice. I could never figure out why they start chasing them. What is the rush? That is how crime against property becomes a crime against person. Car thief should be caught, but not at the price of someone’s life.
Driving in Anchorage during winter is extremely stressful. You have to have nerves of steel. Darkness and icy roads have no effect on driving habits of many. They continuously expose you and your family to a grave risk of being killed or injured in a car accident. Just read letters to the editor to see people's concerns. Driving to Alyeska (ski resort) is dangerous during bright dry sunny days, think what it is like in a complete darkness and icy roads. City officials keep saying there is nothing wrong with that road.
Come to Alaska after snow has melted- you will see the real beauty-trash is everywhere and it stays that way for weeks, until first city wide clean up that doesn't start until mid May.
Finally winter is over, trashed picked up, and you finally ready to enjoy summer...but at a blink of an eye it is over....and you should have enough patience to wait for another summer.
If you are a single woman or family, think twice before coming to Anchorage.
Someone, is this true? No offense, Chebura, but it sounds like maybe you have been living in Anchorage too long and are only seeing the negative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska