Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 PM

307 posts, read 803,070 times

Advertisements

I may be heading to Albany later this month for some job training. I will be staying 2-4 weeks. Any suggestions on some must-see sights while I'm in town? Preferably something within town, but I wouldn't mind to drive a couple hours on the weekends to check stuff out...I've never been in that part of the country before and I'd like to take advantage of it. How's the drive to NYC if I chose to do that? Would it even be worth it for someone completely unfamiliar with the city? Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
I may be heading to Albany later this month for some job training. I will be staying 2-4 weeks. Any suggestions on some must-see sights while I'm in town? Preferably something within town, but I wouldn't mind to drive a couple hours on the weekends to check stuff out...I've never been in that part of the country before and I'd like to take advantage of it. How's the drive to NYC if I chose to do that? Would it even be worth it for someone completely unfamiliar with the city? Thanks in advance for any info!
Drive an hour up the Northway (I-87) and visit Lake George. One of the nicest lakes you will ever see. Another few hours north and west gets you to the Lake Placid/Whiteface Mountain area. Lots there if you are an outdoors person.
NYC is about 150 miles south of Albany - you may want to think twice about driving in parts of New York City (especially Manhattan) if you are not familiar with the area.
Good luck

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM

93 posts, read 242,829 times
You can visit Saratoga (and racetrack).
Adirondacks
If going to NYC, you are better off taking a bus or Amtrak since driving/parking is a nuisance.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Maybe you can check out some nice urban neighborhoods like: Center Square/Lark St. in Albany, Upper Union and the Stockade in Schenectady, Little Italy and the RPI area in Troy. Cohoes is trying to revitalize it's Downtown and Ballston Spa is a nice village north of Albany. Hudson has a nice antique scene and Glens Falls is a nice little city.

You could check out the NY State museum in Albany. The Berkshires of Massachusetts are close by too.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:20 PM

267 posts, read 971,668 times
What kinds of stuff are you interested in? Museums, historic sites, hiking, etc? Would help me answer. When I'm visiting a place I tend to like to take a tour, to give me a general intro. A trolley tour, aquaduck? Kinda cheesy but always fun.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:18 PM

307 posts, read 803,070 times
Nothing specific really, just like to experience something unique while (if) I'm up that way.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 AM

48 posts, read 168,239 times
Don't miss Alive at Five!
The New York Giants will be at SUNY Albany for training camp.
Other stuff here: Welcome to Albany, NY!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM

15 posts, read 24,115 times
You could take a train to NYC one day/weekend.

I'd do a day/weekend in Montreal, and maybe Boston, too.

There are some beautiful buildings in Albany/Troy, I'll say that.

Upstate New York/Adirondack park is beautiful. I'm originally from Baton Rouge and live in Vermont. Vermont is also beautiful.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 AM

109 posts, read 407,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldoutside28 View Post
You could take a train to NYC one day/weekend.
This would be your best bet!

I'm coming back for a visit in July can't wait to see how much more this city is since I departed in 2008.

Go to New York City! Don't hang around the stale malls in and around Albany, the corrupt cops and the burnt out downtown. Let me not forget .. the POT HOLES that never get fixed and ruin peoples cars and the city .. THEY DON'T CARE!

Old 07-10-2010, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
Howe Caverns is only about 45 minutes west of Albany, off I-88.

howecaverns.com

Letchworth State Park is called the Grand Canyon of the East. It's south of Rochester, so about three to four hours away.

nyfalls.com/letchworth-main.html

Then there's the Hudson River Walkway near Poughkeepsie. About 90 minutes south of Albany

walkway.org/

I can't think of any must-see things actually in Albany. Most of the good stuff is outside the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area