Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM

217 posts, read 512,185 times

Advertisements

I know parts of St Lawrence County and find that is is VERY RURAL. My relatives have to be transported to Burlington VT if they have any heart problems. They have to travel from Potsdam to Syracuse to have any type of shopping experience.

I have been through parts of Saratoga however not enough. For those people who live there, can you share what the county is like compared to other counties of Northern NY. How are property taxes? What are the selling points for the area. THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
What exactly are you looking for? Are you looking for a job, a home, schools, shopping, towns? The county is HUGE and it's not all the same. Property taxes vary.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Looking for a job in education, Schools for my children, great area for shopping etc.. and land with or without a home. Love to be close to saratoga Springs with an area that is a little less expensive. Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Schuylerville School District has a good reputation. You can check the schools on: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Saratoga County recently reassessed to market value. Many people are very upset as there is no continuity with values and no answers forthcoming. You might look into areas such as Moreau, Schuylerville (outskirts such as Quaker Springs), Northunderland, Wilton. AFA taxes, due to the reassessment and the lack of basis for their re-evaluation, it's hard to give you an idea about the taxes. On our road, we all have about 3 acres, yet the land values vary tremendously even though they are all classified the same. Supposedly the tax was determined by a computer program...obviously no "idiot check." So people will be filing grievances.

Ten miles outside Saratoga Springs there is land to be bought, with or without a house, reasonable, especially now. Shopping nearby in Wilton.

Another possibility is Glen Falls, where taxes are cheaper.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM

Default Town Information please

Can anyone please let me know which of these towns are closest to Sartaoga Springs and which areas are more pricey for land? Thank you to Ellwood for your information.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM

95 posts, read 191,447 times
Ballston Spa and Malta are pretty close to Saratoga Springs. Clifton Park is a little further.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,818 times
Wilton borders Saratoga Springs to the north, Milton to the west and the Town of Saratoga to the east. Moreau, Schuylerville and Stillwater are relatively close too. The southern part of Wilton is in the Saratoga Springs School District and the northern part is in the South Glens Falls School District.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:06 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
This database may be helpful:

http://saratoga.sdgnys.com/index.aspx

Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 AM

68 posts, read 120,096 times
I'm in Middle Grove- about 8 miles from Saratoga Springs. My house is assessed at $236,000 and my taxes were about $3,600 for the year.

Our house has empty acreage to the sides of it and, sitting on the deck, it feels very rural. Deer, fox, lots of birds, etc. run through the yard on a daily basis.

But we're literally minutes from Saratoga Hospital. It's two turns to get to the hospital and Care Lane- where many doctor's offices are. I used to take my Mom to radiation at Saratoga Hospital and she was very pleased with the folks there- very friendly and accommodating. Now that she's living in Johnstown she misses her doctors here and I'm trying to get her to see her doctors here again.

BTW- our house is for sale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area