U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 12,827,839 times
Reputation: 6642

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that GE or the new jobs in Malta aren't hiring folks even with the openings I've seen.

I still don't think that all of Schenectady and Troy is bad. They are urban and with that, you are going to have your good and bad neighborhoods. I've even heard some people talk about Amsterdam and other smaller blue collar cities in the area, but I don't buy all of the hype in that regard. I doubt they are Mayberry, but they aren't East St. Louis either.
Living in Schenectady and Troy is not a good idea. It's not just because of the crime and drugs, it's also because the people are on the poorer end of the spectrum and therefore are a bit more uneducated and therefore don't have too much networking opportunity to offer to anyone living there. So you cannot really base something just off of it's statistics and numbers on paper.

I've lived around the areas and in them. I've lived in some very tough places and some very nice ones so my opinion isn't a blind one.

I lived in Amsterdam as well for a few years. It has definitely declined. Some violence (not as much as Schenectady or Troy) but definitely a lot of drug trafficking. I had some friends from HS who were involved in bringing cocaine and marijuana up to the Capital Region from the Bronx.

I just don't see why people would choose to live in Albany or the surrounding cities/towns versus somewhere with a better economy, nicer weather, and happier people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
13,944 posts, read 13,035,568 times
Reputation: 24417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
This is all just from my perspective, so don't get offended by my views.
Originally Posted by ss20ts
Wrong! The medical field is strong in the area. However, it's not the ONLY field available. Education and politics are HUGE in the area. So are tech jobs. Maybe you've noticed the area being nicknamed Tech Valley?

Of course it's not the only field available. But how can you say education is huge? School districts around the region are cutting staff and some schools are merging to cut costs. I've never heard the area nicknamed as Tech Valley and I've only heard of one or two businesses going into the area that are tech-based. Maybe I just don't keep up with the flow enough.

People who go to nursing school and are offered a job before graduation is due to the fact that the area has had a severe nursing shortage for years. It is not like that everywhere.

A nursing shortage?! Everyone and their mother seems to be a nurse. I don't see how there could be a shortage.

As for those who go to school for engineering, most engineers I know don't bother to look for a job until they get their master's degree. And even then they have to do their apprenticeship. My cousin has finally finished hers and is studying like mad for the exam she has to take.

Can't really comment on that because I don't know too much about the life of an engineer and the required education, etc.

There's a lot that goes into recent graduates being hired. Your degree isn't the only thing being looked at. And in case you haven't noticed, the entire country has been in an economic downturn which is going onto 4 years soon. Recent graduates will have a very hard time getting jobs compared to folks with 10+ years experience.

Right on. But that has nothing to do with what I said. I was saying that kids who go to school for any type of medical subject seem to get hired almost instantly versus others who study other subjects.
This is all just from my perspective, so don't get offended by my views.


Not offended....Going to educate you a bit.

Education in the Capitol Region is MASSIVE. There's more to education than public schools. There's numerous private schools - CBA, Doane Stewart, Catholic High, Emma Willard, LaSalle, Albany Academy for Boys, Albany Academy for Girls, Holy Names, Bishop Maginn, just to name a few.

Now let's look at higher education:

1. UAlbany
2. St Rose
3. Siena
4. Skidmore
5. Union
6. RPI
7. Russel Sage
8. The Sage College
9. Hudson Valley Community College
10. Excelsior College
11. Empire State College
12. Adirondack Community College
13. Maria College
14. Bryant & Stratton
15. Schenectady County Community College
16. SUNY Delhi has a bachelor's program @ SCCC
17. Fulton Montgomery Community COllege
18. SUNY Cobleskill
19. Albany Law School
20. Albany College of Pharmacy
21. Albany Medical College
22. ITT Tech
23. Mildred Elley
24. Dutchess County Community College
25. Columbia Greene Community College
26. Sage Graduate School
27. Union Graduate College
28. Spencer Business & Technical

That doesn't include the nursing school, welding, radio & tv, CDL, cosmetology, theological, etc, programs. See education is HUUUUUUUGE in the Capitol Region. VERY few areas in the country have this number of higher learning facilities.


Nursing shortage....while it may seem like everyone and their mother is a nurse, there has a serious nursing shortage in the region for years. There is a very high population of older folks and they require medical care. There are also several hospitals in addition to clinics, on calls, and doctor offices.


What gets you hired upon graduation is a number of factors. I know people with low GPAs who were hired before people with high GPAs in the same profession. Why? Extra curricular activities, work experience, know someone, personality, etc. It's not about the degree with most jobs even in the medical field. You can teach a monkey to do pretty anything we can. Personality goes a long way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 12,827,839 times
Reputation: 6642
After living for 9 years in the Capital Region (all around it), I can't say that I agree with you on everything you say, ss20ts. But that's fine; I'm going to agree to disagree as there's no point in beating a dead horse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
 
70,696 posts, read 97,631,260 times
Reputation: 15469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Living in Schenectady and Troy is not a good idea. It's not just because of the crime and drugs, it's also because the people are on the poorer end of the spectrum and therefore are a bit more uneducated and therefore don't have too much networking opportunity to offer to anyone living there. So you cannot really base something just off of it's statistics and numbers on paper.

I've lived around the areas and in them. I've lived in some very tough places and some very nice ones so my opinion isn't a blind one.

I lived in Amsterdam as well for a few years. It has definitely declined. Some violence (not as much as Schenectady or Troy) but definitely a lot of drug trafficking. I had some friends from HS who were involved in bringing cocaine and marijuana up to the Capital Region from the Bronx.

I just don't see why people would choose to live in Albany or the surrounding cities/towns versus somewhere with a better economy, nicer weather, and happier people.
I think you will be disappointed in many cities and metros of any decent size then. Sorry, but none of this is exclusive to the Capital Region cities and in fact, in some regions, the crime is spread out more. I would think that both of these cities would have good and bad neighborhoods and people as well. So, it is a matter of choice and who you are talking about. With colleges in both cities, I'm sure that you have some educated folks in both cities too.

Also, the unemployment rate in the Albany area is actually lower than the national average. It of course will depend on what type of skills and education one has. Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Weather is subjective, as it will depend on one's interests. Even if the weather is nice, you have to consider other factors as well. For instance, i've noticed that you have an interest in moving to Florida. As a state, its crime rate is higher and its unemployment rate is higher. It HS graduation rate is lower than NY's.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-10-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
13,944 posts, read 13,035,568 times
Reputation: 24417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
After living for 9 years in the Capital Region (all around it), I can't say that I agree with you on everything you say, ss20ts. But that's fine; I'm going to agree to disagree as there's no point in beating a dead horse.
I lived there for over 35 years. I know a lot about the antire area. I've lived in the 4 major counties that make the area and in several locations in each. I attended several public schools and colleges. I was never one to sit at home or never leave my neck of the woods.

I don't know what you don't understand. You don't think education employment is a big thing in the area? There are lots of jobs in it that one wouldn't think are in education. It's not just teachers/professors or the administrators.

I have several friends who are nurses currently and others in nursing school. I've had family in the medical field in the area my entire life.

My husband went to RPI for engineering. My cousin went to Wentworth (outside of Boston) for engineering. Neither one has ever had a problem finding a job. Granted, neither one is looking for a job right now. My husband has several places he could walk into tomorrow and have a job. There's places that have wanted to steal him for years. He's worked in his field for over 16 years so he has built up a reputation and worked with people all over the country. That's how you find employment easily. It's not easy for recent grads. It's all in who you know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Graham NC
68 posts, read 107,325 times
Reputation: 88
I work as an office manager at a restaurant in Saratoga Springs. We have approximately 12 of our waitstaff with Masters in Education degrees and teaching certificates. They are all scrambling to try to get teaching jobs. They just aren't there.

That's the only view on employment I have from my current position. Luckily they make decent tips and can make school loan payments.

I'm on my way out of the Capital region myself. My husband took a position in NC with his company and transferred. In just looking for jobs down there, I'm finding many more opportunities for myself than I have here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM
 
70,696 posts, read 97,631,260 times
Reputation: 15469
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathybrj View Post
I work as an office manager at a restaurant in Saratoga Springs. We have approximately 12 of our waitstaff with Masters in Education degrees and teaching certificates. They are all scrambling to try to get teaching jobs. They just aren't there.

That's the only view on employment I have from my current position. Luckily they make decent tips and can make school loan payments.

I'm on my way out of the Capital region myself. My husband took a position in NC with his company and transferred. In just looking for jobs down there, I'm finding many more opportunities for myself than I have here.
I'm not surprised by any of this. Unfortunately, teaching in general is tough outside of certain urban districts, particular regions of some states and special schools.

With the recent growth in NC and the Research Triangle area in particular, I'm sure the restaurant/food service industry is growing as well.

This why skills/education and availability, along with other factors are key. I think researching employment opportunities is more of a science than people realize in terms of not only seeing what's out there, but as well as how one can appropriately present or display what they bring to a position.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
 
95 posts, read 175,668 times
Reputation: 159
ss20ts
Would your husband or cousin be willing to give me career advice? I have a masters in mechanical engineering and gradated a year ago. I also have an ivy league undergraduate and no luck finding a job. I would be interested in any tips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
 
70,696 posts, read 97,631,260 times
Reputation: 15469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshells72 View Post
ss20ts
Would your husband or cousin be willing to give me career advice? I have a masters in mechanical engineering and gradated a year ago. I also have an ivy league undergraduate and no luck finding a job. I would be interested in any tips.
Would these openings work? Mechanical Engineer jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Mechanical Engineer jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

- O'Brien & Gere

Utc Carrier jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Anaren jobs - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-11-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 AM
 
95 posts, read 175,668 times
Reputation: 159
Thanks. I am having a lot of trouble because I don't have any experience. Most of the jobs require experience and won't let anyone with no experience in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top