Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2006, 11:34 PM

16 posts, read 48,810 times

Advertisements

Hello- We are considering a move to upstate New York because we are looking for a lower cost of living and a slower pace. My husband is looking at the Albany area because there seem to be opportunities for employment there, but I am thinking the Finger Lakes area looks better for raising our family. We are looking for (in this order) Low cost of living (we are from Seattle, so housing anywhere upstate looks inexpensive to us ), wonderful schools, and employment opportunities. We have 3 children ages 1, 2 and 6. The six-year-old is moderately autistic, so if anyone has information on school district's special education programs, that would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 11:40 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Both are nice areas, but there are more jobs in the Albany area right now.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 AM
D&T

33 posts, read 175,187 times
Albany has multiple special ed schools that could be very helpful with your son - depending on his particular needs. You could check out Northern Greene county along with the outskirts of the city of Albany. I, personally, would not want my kids in the Albany City school district. There are many good school districts in the area, but do try and avoid Albany City and Schenectady. JMO

Albany will offer a variety of jobs, as well.

I don't know much about the Finger Lakes region regarding employment, etc...

Old 10-15-2006, 09:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Albany probably has the more job opportunites right now. But Ontario County has been called one of the best rural areas to live. Magazines shouldn't be the basis of a move for anybody, but it is a really nice area. It's close to Rochester (30 minutes), so a job shouldn't be too hard to find there either. IMO, Ontario County would offer the more familiy oriented enviorment; while Albany would offer more job opportunites right now.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 31,701 times
Default suburbs of albany

i love where we live -- and my daughter has many special needs. she attends the poestenkill elem school which is in the averill park school district in rensselaer county. she has received special needs care since preschool and is now 8 -- we work with the same people and have developed a fantastic realtionship with them. they are open to me all the time, i drop by constantly, call and ask questions. because of them she is doing great. drop me a note if you want more info.

Holli Boyd

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2006 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: link removed

Old 11-01-2006, 09:52 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,183 times
I've looked long and hard at upstate NY and I think the Albany suburbs are a great place to live. I'll be moving there early next year. My choice was easier because Albany is closer to NJ where my friends and family are. Coming home is easy right down I-87.

However, Rochester and Ontario County also look great. Super affordable housing, plus lakes, mountains, fresh air. It's a tough decision....

Old 11-02-2006, 12:57 AM

16 posts, read 48,810 times
Thank you all for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area