Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,694 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am moving to Albany area in the next month or so and need help figuring out where I should live? I am single, in my 30's, love the outdoors, want a social life, but don't want to be kept up all hours by the college scene or feel unsafe walking home. I am moving from Silver Spring MD - where I rented a cute bungalow house with a back yard, just down the street for an awesome coffee shop, bars, and some shops .... is there an area like that in Albany?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,142 times
Lark Street has the coffee shops and bars and there are nice brownstones surrounding that area, no bungalows with back yards though, for that you'd have to head further west along/south of Western Ave. The area bounded by Partridge, S Lake, Central and Madison is where all the rowdy college kids live so you'll want to avoid that area.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM

46 posts, read 163,352 times
delaware...area

whitehall are is safer...but no good coffee shops...or really any shops

Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,937 times
I grew up in the Pine Hills neighborhood, and it was a nice middle-class neighborhood. Being single, you may not want one of the Colonial houses there, but there are many houses that have been made into two-family duplexes. The problem, as was posted above, is that SOME of these duplexes have been rented to off-campus students. The neighborhood is a short bus ride to U-Albany and walking distance to the College of Saint Rose. Like it or not, Albany is a college town... so unless you're willing to invest in a HOUSE (in a no-apartment/no-duplexes neighborhood) or live in the 'burbs, you'll probably be living amongst a smattering of collegians.

For apartments or duplexes, try the southern end of the Pine Hills neighborhood - south of Myrtle Ave, off of Main Ave. Not many college students there, yet you're still close to the Price Chopper, movie theater, and shops along Madison Avenue. (And, of course, there's also a few bars on Madison.) You can also try the streets off of upper Washington Ave, east of U-Albany: there are small apartments on Lincoln Avenue in this "Upper Washington" neighborhood which allow for privacy, safety, and short walks to Central Avenue (Westgate Plaza and Hannaford Plaza). I have a house in that neighborhood myself, and there's no problem with students... despite its proximity to U-Albany! In fact, I'm one of the youngest people on my block, and I'm 40 years-old.

The streets bordering Washington Park can range from awesome to only okay: Madison Ave (to the south) is okay, but a little unsafe; Lake Ave (to the west) is classy and great; State Street and Willett Street (north and east, respectively) offer the charms of NYC-ish brownstones, but on Willett you face some of the risk of the Lark Street neighborhood, while on State Street it's the prices that'll keep you away. (If I had the money, State Street bordering the park would be my dream; a wonderful taste of classy Manhattan.)

For a quiet, money-is-no-object house, the southern end of New Scotland Avenue (before it becomes suburban "New Scotland Road") offers some pretty sidestreets with suburb-like Raised Ranches; a few nice apartment houses, too... although the stores are out of walking distance. But for ultimate class and comfort there's no beating the virtual mansions on the hilly blocks of Manning Boulevard. *Sigh* If only I had that kind of money.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 PM

46 posts, read 114,138 times
Default Moving to Albany

Sicklebush:

I agree with Mark. I live in NYC but am doing postgrad work in Albany. I would also suggest the South Colonie area. It's quiet and diverse and though walking some places may be an issue in some parts (no sidewalks) it's close to everything - shopping, movies and yes even starbucks. I love it here and actually prefer it to the neighborhoods in downtown Albany.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,694 times
Default Thanks All....

After hours of driving around Albany in a frantic rush to find a place I have ended up on Willett with the idea that I will be near the action for a year or so, can walk to work, and then move to one of the nicer neighborhoods off of New Scotland after I am settled. It looks like I am moving at the right time of year - with the Tulip Fest. and other events popping up around the city.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,142 times
Willet is a great street, I think you'll be very happy there. Some beautiful buildings right on the park!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,937 times
Willett is nice; I've had friends on Willett, in the three identical apartment buildings. (84-88 Willett, aren't they?)

I think Willett has a "NYC feel" to it, with the brownstones facing the park. (Actually, Lark always reminded me of Manhattan, too.) Just remember what I said earlier: Willett has NYC charm, but the Lark Street crowd could pose a security risk. Be careful coming home after dark.

Congratulations,
Mark

Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 AM

143 posts, read 296,156 times
I went to grad school in Alany back in 2000. I lived on Willet st. My apartment was SOOO tiny! I can't even remember my rent from back then, but it was cheap. I lived right across from the park and I think Lark street runs north to south so I was on the corner of willett and lark. It is a great area. I used to intern at the Nelson A Rockefller institute of governement, I also interned at NYS DOB. All withn walking distances of my apartment. In my 1.5 years there I had no problems and I walked everywhere. I ****ing miss that town!

PS It does have a NY feel, like central park or propect park areas of NYC.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:41 AM

109 posts, read 407,827 times
Be ready to pay premium rent for a shoe box sized apartment. Seems the only descent sized apartment are in some of the old building on arbor hill and the south end. But, unless you're ready to enter an urban battle ground I would go in those areas to live.

Rex .. I think your shoebox apartment they'd probably be getting like betwen 750-900 for now. Freak'n ridiculous. Oh .. and then tack on the ridiculous amount for gas/electric service! OUCH! Probably looking at a $1000 if not more.

Hit albany.craigslist.org/apa and take a look at the apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area