Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM

187 posts, read 636,211 times

Advertisements

Hi,

sorry for my english,i am european and only one year in USA.My husband got a good job in Albany downtown. Please give me some advice,where to live.My child (13 y.old)loves nature,hills,green,animals,plants,fresh air.Safety is very important for me,so we can walk and hike around with no fear.
We can afford a rent around 2000 dollar,i think at a house with garden (i love gardening)or big yard.Which familly oriented area with good middle school would you advice me?I am happy to be in four seasons again,CA is too hot for me.

Thank you a lot
B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
Check out Delmar, East Greenbush, and Latham.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM

thanks..where are the best public schools?my son is highly gifted and in gate programm in california.Do they have similar programms in albany??

Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 AM

Here's a good reference. I believe Delmar, a suburb of Albany, is in the Bethlehem school district. Albany itself is at the bottom.

Albany.com - 2008 Capital Region School Rankings For 11 Counties In Upstate NY

Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 AM

57 posts, read 162,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Check out Delmar, East Greenbush, and Latham.
Nyskuna too.. it's actually higher raited..
Guilderland...
Clifton park (not my style imo)
Halfmoon..(cliftonpark basically)

2k a month for rent? Heck buy a house you can buy a very nice one and sell it if you move.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Maybe Averill Park, Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, Scotia, South Colonie or Voorheesville too.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 PM

thanks a lot.i have some other questions..i was told (from californian people) that the mentality on the east coast is different then the one hier,people are more conservative,not laid back,distante and so on,is this true?or it seems like west coast not talk nice about east coast..i am european ,i do not really understand that...and i was told tehnologically california is more advanced..is this true??...

we pay 2500 rent hier in california(good area with excellent school),it looks rents are not so high there...what about prices generally?food,gas,clothes..and so on..

does california has better schools and colleges then new york or the other way?
i prefer new york,albany,i hope is more european,because i miss europe bad..and it has also 4 seasons...
thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza 1313 View Post
thanks a lot.i have some other questions..i was told (from californian people) that the mentality on the east coast is different then the one hier,people are more conservative,not laid back,distante and so on,is this true?or it seems like west coast not talk nice about east coast..i am european ,i do not really understand that...and i was told tehnologically california is more advanced..is this true??...

we pay 2500 rent hier in california(good area with excellent school),it looks rents are not so high there...what about prices generally?food,gas,clothes..and so on..

does california has better schools and colleges then new york or the other way?
i prefer new york,albany,i hope is more european,because i miss europe bad..and it has also 4 seasons...
thanks
I think it depends on where you are on the East Coast. I think it takes some people some time to open up, but when they do, they are generally friendly. This seems to be more the case in bigger cities on the East Coast. Albany should be fine and I think the people in Upstate NY are very friendly for the most part.

Schools are really good here in NY. You might have some iffy schools in urban areas, but even in those schools, you can get your share of kids that achieve at a high level. Some urban schools might have good programs within them too. For the most part though, you can live in any metro in NY and find plenty of good schools.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 AM

What part of Europe are you from? Appearance-wise, the Albany area will probably remind you more of Europe...unless you are from a country like Spain.

There's a cultural difference between east and west coast. People from the east are more open regarding what they think and feel while west coast people are a little more reserved.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:53 AM

i am from germany..
thanks a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area