Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,183 times

Advertisements

Vips Big Boy later became JB's Restaurants. However nothing from the original menu is on the menu at JB's. Which still has a location on 4th street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Is VIPS a chain?

I've never heard of any franchise operating in the United States, but they're in Spain and Mexico:

Grupo VIPS
VIPS

I've been in the Madrid VIPS before (on c/ Fuencarral, I believe) and they weren't your typical chain restaurant. More like a combination of a store (I remember magazines being sold) and restaurant.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 PM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Yeah. It would have had to have lasted until the mid-70's for me to have any memories of it. 3 year old Chap would have been too focused on the pancakes to have remembered anything about the theme/decor.

Chap
It must have turned back into a Big Boy again because I remember it being a Big Boy in the mid-70s and into at least the early 80s. I remember Sambo's in Milwaukee, but not here in Alb. so that was before I lived here.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

64 posts, read 204,926 times
It wasn't the Sambos. It was across Central and west about a block or 2, near the ice arena. We used to go both places when were supposed to be at Highland.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,278 times
I used to cruise Vips, Franks and Macs back in the mid 60's. Good clean fun on the weekends. Memories. It will never be the same even though I wish it could sometimes. A lot simpler times. I used to cruise it in the mid sixties. I'm a guy though.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,509 times
Default Vips Coronado center many years ago

Remember eating at the Vips at the Coronado mall in the 1970's as a kid. Loved the atmosphere and their Big Boy Burger-also remember the Big Boy comic book I would take home with me. I am not sure if there is still a JB's here in ABQ?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie119 View Post
I am not sure if there is still a JB's here in ABQ?
There are a few JB's still in the ABQ area, we go to the one in North Valley on 4th street. I seem to recall someone telling me it is the only family owned JB's.

Rich

Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,222 times
Default Vips Big Boy

I definitely remember Vips. I was stationed in Albuquerque from 1966 to 1969. Had coffee there every night. Loved it. I am passing through on Dec. 29th (2012) Hope to see some of Albuquerque. Been a long time.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,505 times
Talking Vip's burned down

After I left albuquerque in 71 I heard it burned down. It was next door to Fitzgerald's ice cream place (factory I believe, not a restaurant) and that burned down before Vips did & got replaced by a pizza hut.

Now it's a burger king on the whole site. Sambo's was up the street I believe Central and San Mateo.

Lots of fun crusing vips whilst in high school; great burgers, home of the cherry cream coke; you'd buy a cherry coke then when the waitress wasn't looking put coffee cream in it (so there woudln't be an extra charge for 2nd ingredient) tasted better than it sounds.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
If there is anyone out there that used to work at Vip's Big Boy and has a story, photo, or item with the Vip's name and or logo matches, ashtray, menu, ad, etc, please email me. I worked for Kip's Big Boy in the 60's and 70's in OK, TX, KS and had a working great time with many fine people who also worked at a Big Boy restaurant! I do not have a photo of any of the Vip's locations in New Mexico and would cherish one especially from the 60's and 70's ! The Big Boy Restaurants were always Home away from Home wherever you t raveled across the nation! Great foods and service by dedicated very excellent staff and always dependable and consistently top notch. Thanks Marcus markgelhaargelhaar@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: