Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 AM

66 posts, read 109,001 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember Vips from the 60's? I loved their burgers and used to
drive around the place to meet guys and have fun. Never met anyone, but was fun to cruise around and eat their burgers and fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,925 times
I remember the one on Central just west of San Mateo. Loved the Big Boy Sauce and the Big Boy seasoning you could buy and take home.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Talking Vips

I believe that's the one I went to. Also I think that was the only one there in town. Yea, the food was good at least as I remember.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
Big Boy was a chain that had a lot of different regional names.. Virginia had Shoney's Big Boy..
Strawberry pies to go 24x7.. and just down the road from UVA's dorms..

Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Big Boy was a chain that had a lot of different regional names.. Virginia had Shoney's Big Boy..
Strawberry pies to go 24x7.. and just down the road from UVA's dorms..
Yes, Big Boy started in Glendale, Ca in the 40s (I think it was the 40s) We used to eat at the original one. From there the first drive-in was on San Fernando Road just west of Glendale. I think it was actually in burbank or San Fernando. It was called Bob's Big Boy. While in CC in Pasadena we lived at the one right acroos the side street from the campus. I remember living in No Va, going to Shoney's. that had them all through the south. I thought they still had one in Albuquerque, I guess not.

Anyway the hamburgers were great, and the lettuce wedge salad with either blue cheese or thousand island dressing was to die for. Yes, the Strawberry pies were always fresh. I didn't like ther milk shakes, they were too think, but most of the kids loved them.

Nita

Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Smile Vips

I moved from Albuq. in 1969 so I am not sure when the VIPS closed down. Maybe from lack of business?? Also, I think there was a Macs drive in there but I could be wrong. So long ago!

I know in Ca. there are many Bobs Big Boys. Sometime if I ever visit San Diego I will try the burger and see if they taste as good as I remember.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I remember the one on Central just west of San Mateo. Loved the Big Boy Sauce and the Big Boy seasoning you could buy and take home.
If I recall correctly (and its entirely possible that I'm not), I believe this Big Boy location eventually became a Sambo's. I remember going to Sambo's as a young boy and enjoying pancakes with "tiger butter".

With the advent of political correctness, its no surprise that the chain is down to a single remaining restaurant.

Chap

Old 07-26-2010, 01:12 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
If I recall correctly (and its entirely possible that I'm not), I believe this Big Boy location eventually became a Sambo's. I remember going to Sambo's as a young boy and enjoying pancakes with "tiger butter".

With the advent of political correctness, its no surprise that the chain is down to a single remaining restaurant.

Chap
The Sambo's on Central? That survived at least through 72 when I left.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
The Sambo's on Central? That survived at least through 72 when I left.
Yeah. It would have had to have lasted until the mid-70's for me to have any memories of it. 3 year old Chap would have been too focused on the pancakes to have remembered anything about the theme/decor.

Chap

Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Default Vips

Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: