Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM

560 posts, read 1,718,052 times

Advertisements

Definitely drink water... even if you're not thirsty. It's easy to get dehydrated here and not even realize it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:59 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,378,663 times
Yes, lots of water.

We've been here for two years and are in the habit of always carrying water with us.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM

326 posts, read 840,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
LOL

Are you in an air conditioned environment?
That is, NOT using a swamp cooler?
Yes!!! Which is probably part of why I wake up feeling like crap every day!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Thank you all for all the replies! I love water so its not too hard to drink more.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 AM

110 posts, read 366,889 times
We used to tell new comers, "No more 2 showers a day in the summer. You'll dry up like a potato chip."

I'm the worst when it comes to drinking water. It seems my attitude is that water is for bathing. Some people have a better tolerance to dehydration than others, so that pretty much depends on your habits.

You will notice that the NW (valley) is more humid, the closer you are to the river bed. Not only that but farther from traffic noise.

I don't like the NE simply because you can't get away from constant noise. Go 30 miles in any direction and you'll find your ears ringing. I've lived all over this area in the past 50+ years and I'd chose the north valley any time. At present, I'm in Edgewood. I can still hear the traffic on I-40 and I'm a mile away. Truthfully? Less crime in the valley.

Brace yourself for winter. It's even dryer. Heat dries out the air. While you're at home, set a pot of water on the stove at a low simmer to add moisture to the house. Those who have eczema suffer mostly in the fall. Lotion doesn't cut it when the skin is drying out in the fall, you need a heavy cream like Eucerin and watch for dry patches like inner thighs and back in the waist area.Stay on top of it and you'll sail through winter but let it get out of hand and you're in for some misery that won't go away until spring.

My only problems are my hands, as I work in ceramics and my hands stay wet too much. My daughter, though, has terrible problems with the dry skin in the fall.

The dry and cracking nose thing is just part of life for some folks in this area. The best advice is vaseline on a cuetip until the crack is healed and more moisture at home.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 PM

414 posts, read 1,021,973 times
"Bosque" literally means "forest" in Spanish. In Albuquerque it refers to the floodplain forest that borders the Rio Grande. It occasionally catches fire due to some human shenanigans.

The Rio Grande Nature Center is a good place to go if you're interested in checking the bosque out...it's actually a pretty nice place.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM

I saw people swimming in the river the other day... It looks pretty brown.. Is that accepted practice?

I am excited to check out the Bosque it looks fun and has miles of trails!!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
I saw people swimming in the river the other day... It looks pretty brown.. Is that accepted practice?

It is always brown. That is the mud....

There area lot of trails along the Bosque

South of Alameda Blvd, ABQ

Rio Rancho

Rio Rancho, trying to decide if we want to go North or South...

Here is a good guide/map that shows the trail in ABQ: http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/paseodelbosquetrail.html
Rich

Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,691,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post

Not sure whether swimming in the river is accepted practice. It probably is, but I wouldn't do it...however I tend to be excessively squeamish.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,924,777 times
In certain areas of the river, it isn't uncommon to scene biolgists, and biology students, get into the river. However, it isn't all that common of a practice. As with any river, they aren't usually considered all that safe to swim in unless under specific conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque