Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times

Advertisements

Thanks, all.

I've read all the East Mountains threads already -- devoured them is probably more accurate. The occasional snow gridlock doesn't really faze me -- it is what it is. It's not a reason for me to avoid an area.

It sounds like it will be workable. My current area used to be one where we would "drive in" for most everything, But in the last 10-12 years, some large shopping centers have gone in further out toward us (Target, Lowe's, Penney's, Barnes & Noble, smaller chains, chain restaurants). It means the everyday things can be had nearby, so I'm out of the 'habit" of driving into town for most things. The East Mountains area hasn't gotten quite so built up, so driving in to ABQ will seem to be a normal occurrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times
Tijeras Canyon is dicey in the winter along with the fact that Moriarty and Edgewood get 40 inches of snow/year to ABQ's 10 or so. A lot of those goofy Alberta Clippers that Denver currently is in effect the East Valley with snow anytime from October to May. The Sandia's buffer ABQ from a lot of that stuff. It's a nice largely undeveloped region but Tijeras Canyon is no fun in the snow and ice.

Last edited by magnum0417; 04-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 PM

89 posts, read 270,513 times
I live out in Ventana Ranch, which is in the Western portion of the city. Tijeras, is probably closer to downtown ABQ then where I live. It's about 30 minutes to my work beyond Downtown in the worst circumstances. I cannot imagine many places in Tijeras would be any further.

I don't mind the commute, and I can't really imagine others that have experienced traffic elsewhere would have much of a difficult time here.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
Tijeras, is probably closer to downtown ABQ then where I live. It's about 30 minutes to my work beyond Downtown in the worst circumstances. I cannot imagine many places in Tijeras would be any further.

I don't mind the commute, and I can't really imagine others that have experienced traffic elsewhere would have much of a difficult time here.
Edgewood is almost double the distance (27 miles) to Downtown ABQ as is Tijeras (14 miles), both part of "East Mountains". But that is assuming you are close to a major road. Some of the areas I've looked in Tijeras adds 10 miles to that 14 mile "Tijeras" commute.

But, you pretty much need to check out the areas.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-12-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 PM

462 posts, read 1,008,970 times
Default East Mountains - will it seem too far from everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Tijeras Canyon is dicey in the winter along with the fact that Moriarty and Edgewood get 40 inches of snow/year to ABQ's 10 or so. A lot of those goofy Alberta Clippers that Denver currently is in effect the East Valley with snow anytime from October to May. The Sandia's buffer ABQ from a lot of that stuff. It's a nice largely undeveloped region but Tijeras Canyon is no fun in the snow and ice.

In the year and a half that we have lived in Sandia Park, I've only seen one multiple inch snow storm that closed Tijeras Canyon (I-40); however, the road starting from Tramway (in ABQ) going east through Carnuel was open & is open (both directions)... which enables everyone living in the East Mountains to either go home or go to ABQ. The Carnuel road being open is the way that we East Mountain citizens .. get to ABQ & return on those rare multiple inch snowy days. We live at 7,000 ft & we have had no problem navigating with the rare snowstorms that show up in the winter (small Toyotas). We are in a drought situation now (indicated by the fact that we aren't getting many snow storms, etc.) as is ABQ.

The East Mountains (Hwy 14 going north and south) are developed but not excessively. We have (on North Highway 14) a "Triangle Grocery Store" - which offers wine tasting on Thursday evenings; a very nice Greenside restaurant; a Gift shop; Atms; a bank; a dentist; an emergency medical facility; a thrift store; three yoga studios; a gym; multiple churches; a community center; a Subway; two additional restaurants; several gas stations; an art gallery, etc. Tijeras has a very nice library .. that is a branch of Albuquerque's system, restaurants, gas stations, as well as a very active senior center. Citizens have an adequate amount of activities and social life in the East Mountain area to be easily preoccupied with and not have to go into ABQ.

The East Mountains are largely mountainous. Edgewood is less mountainous and more flat. There is a difference.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM

265 posts, read 808,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
the fact that Moriarty and Edgewood get 40 inches of snow/year
40 inches of snow per year? Not in this century! Most I've seen in the past 10 years living here in Sandia Park was a total of 28" in the winter of 2004-05 ... we got 8" in 2001-02, and just under 10" in 2005-06, and the other years pretty much zip, zilch, nada!

I'll bet you we average no more than 10 days per year with snow on the ground, and less than that this winter for sure.

But back to the OP's question, yes, speaking as an East Mountaineer (Sandian? Edgewoodian?) there are times when it's too much bother to drive into Albuquerque. We recently debated whether Anthony Bourdain was worth the trip into town - and though he's probably pretty entertaining, we decided, nah. That's the sort of thing you meant, right?

Fortunately it's PC to support local businesses - we generally find plenty to do over here on the "green side" of the mountains! We define Madrid and Cerrillos as part of our neighborhood too, their little galleries and The Hollar restaurant are fun.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieBelize View Post
But back to the OP's question, yes, speaking as an East Mountaineer (Sandian? Edgewoodian?) there are times when it's too much bother to drive into Albuquerque. We recently debated whether Anthony Bourdain was worth the trip into town - and though he's probably pretty entertaining, we decided, nah. That's the sort of thing you meant, right?

Fortunately it's PC to support local businesses - we generally find plenty to do over here on the "green side" of the mountains! We define Madrid and Cerrillos as part of our neighborhood too, their little galleries and The Hollar restaurant are fun.
OP here. Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about. On another note, is it fairly easy to make friends/acquaintances? That can be difficult in an area where folks buy for the seclusion (which it seems this area is, to a degree). Where we are in Alabama there aren't too many folks who are from anyplace else -- things mostly revolve around extended family and church. I'm thinking that ABQ is enough of a draw for non-natives that there will be at least some quantity of folks from elsewhere. What has your experience been?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM

293 posts, read 971,053 times
Just to give you another opinion... Tijeras and Edgewood are too far out for me. Certainly the actual distance to town isn't that far, but the psychological feeling of being removed from the city was too much. I think it was driving through the canyon that made me feel isolated - there was no alternative if I wanted to go a different route so it seemed constricting and limiting. Getting into town didn't take much time, but it felt difficult - so I think I would have spent far too much time moping around the house feeling like I didn't have options. (again - that's just me... but I figured I'd mention it in case that's something that worries you)

Tijeras is gorgeous; great and interesting houses with sweeping views and space. I don't personally like Edgewood - too flat.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 AM

265 posts, read 808,456 times
Hello OP, sorry I overlooked your second question about making friends ... Our experience has been that while people out here are very friendly, they are also very respectful of your privacy, which means you have to make the effort to actively make friends (if that distinction makes sense?). The best way we found is to signal your interest by joining groups or attending events - there are a lot to choose from, for gardening, knitting, permaculture, exercise, farm & arts tours, etc.

And Cynanthus, isn't it funny, I feel exactly the same way, but in reverse? When I enter the canyon coming back up from town I heave a huge sigh of relief as traffic drops off, the temperature cools down, and the spaces open up to trees ... whew! Aren't we lucky to have the choices between urban/suburban and rural? As my grandpa used to say, "That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla".

Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM

152 posts, read 233,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Plus, the E Mts are no further of a commute than Rio Rancho depending on where you work in town.
YES, BUT: tell that to anyone you are trying to invite to dinner. Folks have a mental block when it comes to the other side of the mountains. We've thrown parties and had dismal turnout because most people say it's too far/strange/weird/dark/rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque