Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 PM

33 posts, read 75,521 times

Advertisements

We may be making a possible move to Bosque Farms mid Sept, ( We just moved to alamogordo about 1 month ago from ohio, and want to move closer to albuquerque.) we just have one question about the area. I know the general land space is about 1/2 acre...considering that, I have 6 NICE dogs that like to be outdoors most of the time... We will obviously consider some sort of crating situation while we are not home if we decide on the area, but we currently live on 1/2 acre fenced-in lot on an 8 acre property so we don't really have to worry about crating. The problem is...when we leave then come home...they all bark like crazy (like they haven't seen us for years) and it will last only for a couple minutes (and as far as i am aware, they are mostly quiet while we are gone, but i can not be 100% on that. i sit at the end of the street to hear if they bark or not) but, it is VERY LOUD. Our major concern is, with each house pretty close together, we do not want to be of nuisance to the area. We are the kind of people who do not want to be of bother to others. I do not want to move my little farm up to the area if it turns out that people in the area will be annoyed by the noise. Do the people of Bosque farms have any issues with dogs barking for a couple minutes? It is obviously up to the neighbors..but for the most part, does anyone think our situation would be bad for the area?
Thank you for your opinions/thoughts and your time reading this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcruz View Post
Do the people of Bosque Farms have any issues with dogs barking for a couple minutes?
I can't speak for over 4,000 in Boscue Farms. The ordinance where I live (City of Rio Rancho) says 20 minutes of constant barking can be cited. There also is a noise ordinance where I live. I can't speak for Bosque Farms. We have friends (10+ years) who live there and have horses, dogs, chickens etc with no issue I am aware of. We hear dogs, horses and coyotes at their place at night.

There are three sections on animal codes for Boscue Farms on the Villiage website: Village of Bosque Farms - Codes and Ordinances You might read them. They may mention Vaccinations, registration etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcruz View Post
I have 6 NICE dogs that like to be outdoors most of the time...
I hear that a lot. We have had dogs continuously for over 30 years. We help rescue dogs. Maybe 30 in the last year. We can only maintain 5 dogs in a household here. Which sometimes makes for a lot of noise.

I have seen problems with barking dogs, dogs running loose, dog attacks, citations written, etc

I don't know what to tell you except here are my dogs:

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM

thank you! that was a very helpful response! that answered my question and i have seen your dogs in many posts, they looks cool and well behaved! as far as our dogs barking, we get irritated after them barking for 30 seconds. haha. but we are generally pretty good at keeping them quiet. our major concern was just the closeness of the neighbors and not wanting to irritate anyone, i suppose. but i really appreciate your input!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
If our Akita Chow or Pomeranian dogs continue barking here in our Alamogordo yard for more than about 5-10 minutes I call them in. They always come running in and if they don't they have some critter trapped out there or something. I still get them in!

Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 PM

thanks elkotronics. Our dogs do not make a peep while we are home. our issue is them being loud during feeding, and when they can hear us coming down the driveway. but other than that, people drive by in awe by how quiet our dogs sit around in the yard. its really funny actually...they drive by like 2mph jaws dropped. haha. but i guess if its only for a couple minutes..i really shouldnt be as concerned as i am. coming from ohio though, usually this is a big problem, as people like to live in bubbles and not be disturbed by anything.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:50 PM

520 posts, read 611,691 times
Lovely dogs, Poncho! Collies are great.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Just a gentle reminder not to let your dogs run loose outside your property in Bosque Farms (or any other farming area for that matter) - rural folks who raise livestock (chickens/rabbits/ducks/etc) take great offense to people's dogs getting into their animals and maiming/killing them. This oftentimes leads to loose dogs being shot on sight as vermin.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Good point, N8! They'll eliminate your stray dog pestering their livestock faster than Steven Seagal will throw an unwanted intruder down to the ground.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 PM

142 posts, read 252,970 times
Like any neighborhood, if you're dogs are obnoxious, then maybe you need to do some training with them to make them not so obnoxious. But bosque farms is semi-rural and many people have yard dogs and live stock. It is exactly the type of place having 6 dogs outside would not raise anyone's eyebrows.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM

ok, awesome! thanks for all the input. i do have an escape artist run away dog, so that is very good to know. we got him when he was older (which i hate to say but will never adopt an older dog again---the dog that causes most of the barking. and it is true, you can not teach an old dog new tricks) and runs away any chance he can get. he is one of our most gentle dogs --the gentlest being our shepherd husky mix...which loves everything from guinea pigs to chickens and goats. i was going to make him my farm yard protector but i didnt want him to be the only dog in the yard, so we got another dog to train like him. so far so good. as for the other dogs, i have a hunting dog with some hunting instincts, and a couple pit bulls which are sweet but play like they've never played before. lots of body throwing. still, wouldnt trust them around my farm animals, my older run away dog is nice, but him and the husky play pretty rough and may cause injury to my ducks or chicken, and then a couple indoor toy chihuahuas.

husky teaching new dog how to play nice with others
http://fromgreentored.wordpress.com/...p-carousel-780
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque