Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
Tucson is building a massive fulfillment center off of Kolb road. Proximity to rail is perfect there. City of Tucson was able to get RFP back to Amazon in a week. Do you think our city government could pull that off?
Not sure, although I really don't think Tucson has a much higher Prime subscriber base (if at all) than Albuquerque. One thing that could go in Tucson's favor is that the Tucson fulfilment center could potentially be used to fulfill Phoenix orders in addition to the Phoenix area fulfilment centers and the Inland Empire fulfillment centers; that is much more difficult for Albuquerque due to its more isolated geographic location. In addition to Phoenix, I think Albuquerque also gets a significant share of orders from the Dallas/Fort Worth area and the Las Vegas area (the latter which we almost never get here in Phoenix). At least a fulfillment center in Albuquerque would relieve those fulfillment centers from having to fulfill Albuquerque orders, allowing them to fulfill more local orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 AM

153 posts, read 211,659 times
We have massive distribution centers now surrounding NM. Perhaps NM will get lockers since that would seem to be more appropriate for a state that may not meet Amazon's requirments for ideal location, infrastructure, or capital to attract a massive distribution center.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:53 AM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
We have massive distribution centers now surrounding NM. Perhaps NM will get lockers since that would seem to be more appropriate for a state that may not meet Amazon's requirments for ideal location, infrastructure, or capital to attract a massive distribution center.
There are lockers at ABQ Whole Foods locations. Hopefully they add more.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:49 PM

480 posts, read 316,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
From that article...

Also:

Amazon will pay you $18-25 per hour to make deliveries in your own car
Online retail giant is hiring to expand Amazon Flex 1-2 hour delivery service in Denver area

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/1...eries-own-car/

also

also

That is not income though, it is Gross Revenue for a contractor. Out of that $18-25, you have to pay self employment tax, business expenses [like vehicle costs], insurance, etc. Ends up way less than $10/hour. Plus no health care coverage either.

I've been a self employed delivery driver in ABQ, it does not mean a great income.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:49 PM

159 posts, read 136,783 times
I could have sworn I saw Bezos walking on Gold near 8th a couple of weeks ago.
I would have thrown a brick at him, but what if it was an innocent look-alike?
We do not need another starvation wage employer here.
I boycott Amazon and you should too.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 PM

25 posts, read 39,592 times
I haven’t read the entire string, but had a little context to add here -

My son recently started working at one of these new distribution centers that is fulfilling the contractor vans. In his case, the warehouse actually got started six months early to take the load off nearby facilities. For context, he’s in Nashua, NH, and the other warehouses that were at capacity were in Northern MA.

So the urgency, or lack thereof, may depend on volumes in neighboring facilities.......

Old 09-24-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmwit View Post
I haven’t read the entire string, but had a little context to add here -

My son recently started working at one of these new distribution centers that is fulfilling the contractor vans. In his case, the warehouse actually got started six months early to take the load off nearby facilities. For context, he’s in Nashua, NH, and the other warehouses that were at capacity were in Northern MA.

So the urgency, or lack thereof, may depend on volumes in neighboring facilities.......
I'm talking about fulfillment centers for storing merchandise, not Amazon Logistics Delivery Stations. I don't see much benefit to the latter without the former in Albuquerque, since Amazon Logistics is heavily tasked with Same-Day and One-Day deliveries in many major metropolitan areas which are fed from a local fulfillment center. This would be impossible without a local fulfillment center. Albuquerque doesn't even have a Sortation Center (another type of Amazon warehouse); packages coming from Phoenix are typically routed through the PHX8 Sortation Center and are routed to local post offices in the Albuquerque area for last mile delivery by the USPS. I don't see a cost benefit of a Delivery Station without a local fulfillment center vs. USPS delivering the last mile.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 09-24-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Considering how rapidly Amazon has been building its fulfillment center network, I was wondering, does anyone think Amazon could eventually build a fulfillment center in Albuquerque or Rio Rancho in the future? It seems like it would be an ideal location to serve the needs of Amazon customers in New Mexico.

Right now Albuquerque is mostly dependent on the fulfillment centers in Phoenix for Amazon orders, with some orders coming from Fort Worth and other fulfillment centers. A new fulfillment center has recently opened in Aurora, Colorado as well, so you may start seeing some orders coming from there as well.

With an Amazon fulfillment center in Albuquerque, that can potentially enable Free Same-Day or One-Day delivery to addresses in New Mexico to Prime customers.

What does anyone here think?
Any city could get one: is it likely? My guess is no.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM

480 posts, read 316,943 times
I've recently seen a lot of ads on CraigsList for Amazon Flex drivers. Thought it was interesting.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
I've recently seen a lot of ads on CraigsList for Amazon Flex drivers. Thought it was interesting.
It is confirmed on the Amazon Flex website that they are hiring in Albuquerque. This is a bit surprising because there are no fulfillment centers in the area, thus they can't offer free same-day or one-day delivery. However, they may be trying to reduce shipping costs.

Currently most Amazon packages to Albuquerque come to Albuquerque come either via USPS or UPS. From what I read, a the typical rate for a small package that Amazon pays is $2 via USPS, $6.75 via UPS Ground, and $7.25 via FedEx Ground/Home Delivery. I think those that come via USPS last mile service from Albuquerque are mainly shipped from Phoenix, while those shipped from elsewhere mainly get shipped UPS. Perhaps a delivery station will feed from multiple fulfillment centers (Phoenix area, DFW area, San Marcos/Schertz, Denver area, and possibly as far as the Inland Empire of California) to lower shipping costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque