Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:17 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,703,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
Wasn't the crash. They closed the three right lanes on I-40 WB at Rio Grande for construction, at rush hour.
They were diverting traffic from I-40 onto surface streets due to a fatal crash. It may not be the only reason for the traffic but then neither is the closing of lanes for construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 02:18 PM

30 posts, read 56,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
It's amazing how huffy people get about traffic in this day and age given the tools available and how many good alternatives exist in this metro.

As someone who unfortunately occasionally needs to get to the west side from uptown during rush hour, I've learned to consult the traffic on a maps app and steer clear of such foolishness. It pays off big time.

Sometimes 40 is a parking lot, sometimes Central or Bridge or Montaño are better options.

Now if you lived in Atlanta, San Francisco, or even LA, you would:
a) face this on a daily basis, and worse on an occasional basis
b) probably have to travel twice as many miles
and
c) have no better alternatives because of poor long-term urban planning and/or topographical constraints

Next time, commute smarter, not angrier.
Or you could (aghast) live closer to work.
People around here don't seem to use Waze. That would help a lot.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,191,399 times
Three right lanes closed on WB I-40 again yesterday.

They were laying new concrete in the middle lanes approaching the river.

Big rigs are getting faster, heavier, and their tires are getting harder. With the little-hills nature of the freeway in that area, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the concrete wears out far more quickly from the hammering than in most stretches.

Imagine the impact on traffic if vehicles start getting flats from spalled and potholed concrete on that stretch.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,513,780 times
Last week I was at the Sunport Davita and wanted to get home without going on I40 due to construction. I took my old bicycle route that I still remember from 30 years ago: Broadway to Bridge (Caesar Chavez) to 8th through Tingley Beach, Central to Atrisco, Hanover onto Coors. Seemed just as fast as I40 and more enjoyable. Why can I remember that after 30 years and not what I have for breakfast yesterday?

Old 02-17-2019, 11:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Last week I was at the Sunport Davita and wanted to get home without going on I40 due to construction. I took my old bicycle route that I still remember from 30 years ago: Broadway to Bridge (Caesar Chavez) to 8th through Tingley Beach, Central to Atrisco, Hanover onto Coors. Seemed just as fast as I40 and more enjoyable. Why can I remember that after 30 years and not what I have for breakfast yesterday?
Cause your getting old... Like me!!!

Old 02-17-2019, 08:16 PM

329 posts, read 512,614 times
I took Route 500 home on Friday. Getting from base to the Rio Bravo exit was the only pain but it was an otherwise nice change to the west side than using I-40.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I vented because they closed off three lanes of a major thoroughfare for construction during a peak rush hour period.

Is it so hard to do construction at night? Many states do this.
Pretty dumb of them, but this is why I use a map route app (google Maps or Waze) even if I am going somewhere I have been 1000 times.

It automatically detects bad traffic/road closures and calculates the fastest alternate route to my destination with directions for every step of the way, not to mention alerts like debris in the road (a huge boon on Albuquerque highways), speed traps, potholes, etc.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 AM

329 posts, read 512,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It automatically detects bad traffic/road closures and calculates the fastest alternate route to my destination with directions for every step of the way, not to mention alerts like debris in the road (a huge boon on Albuquerque highways), speed traps, potholes, etc.
You know you live in ABQ when commuting on I-40 is like an obstacle course.

One day on I-40 WB some commuters and myself almost crashed into an abandoned car in the center lane of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque