Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM

329 posts, read 513,631 times

Advertisements

to have three lanes closed due to 'construction' on WB I-40 during rush hour?

It took me 2 hours to get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Albuquerque-Metro
Crash shuts down all I-40 westbound lanes to I-25 southbound ramp

By: KRQE Media

Posted: Feb 08, 2019 02:13 PM MST
Updated: Feb 08, 2019 04:14 PM MST

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) - Part of the Big-I is still shut down as Albuquerque police investigate a crash.

Police have the westbound I-40 flyover to the I-25 southbound flyover closed.

Albuquerque police have not given any details on what happened or if anyone was injured or killed in the crash.

Traffic on I-40 headed south on I-25 is being diverted onto University.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...amp/1765919755

Old 02-08-2019, 06:38 PM

Wasn't the crash. They closed the three right lanes on I-40 WB at Rio Grande for construction, at rush hour.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,204,220 times
It's amazing how huffy people get about traffic in this day and age given the tools available and how many good alternatives exist in this metro.

As someone who unfortunately occasionally needs to get to the west side from uptown during rush hour, I've learned to consult the traffic on a maps app and steer clear of such foolishness. It pays off big time.

Sometimes 40 is a parking lot, sometimes Central or Bridge or Montaño are better options.

Now if you lived in Atlanta, San Francisco, or even LA, you would:
a) face this on a daily basis, and worse on an occasional basis
b) probably have to travel twice as many miles
and
c) have no better alternatives because of poor long-term urban planning and/or topographical constraints

Next time, commute smarter, not angrier.
Or you could (aghast) live closer to work.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:48 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,299,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
. . .
I get the sentiment. But I must note that I DO happen to live close to work, relatively speaking (i.e., I'm on the east side and I can get to work 100% on surface streets). But I live west of my work, which means yesterday I was caught up with all of the I-40 people who had spilled onto the surface streets in search of relief. My usual 12-15-minute drive home took me 45+ minutes yesterday.

I do, however, recognize that my Very Long Commute Day and Associated Grouchiness would simply be a (twice) everyday event if I were to change places with one of my Corrales/RR colleagues.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I do, however, recognize that my Very Long Commute Day and Associated Grouchiness would simply be a (twice) everyday event if I were to change places with one of my Corrales/RR colleagues.
My wife did it for 13 years. RR to KAFB. 28 miles one way, about 35 minute drive one way. Some of those days started at 05:00 hrs, Some of those weeks were 4 day work weeks (10 hour days).

Old 02-09-2019, 04:43 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,299,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My wife did it for 13 years. RR to KAFB. 28 miles one way, about 35 minute drive one way. Some of those days started at 05:00 hrs, Some of those weeks were 4 day work weeks (10 hour days).
So you have said.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
It's amazing how huffy people get about traffic in this day and age given the tools available and how many good alternatives exist in this metro.

As someone who unfortunately occasionally needs to get to the west side from uptown during rush hour, I've learned to consult the traffic on a maps app and steer clear of such foolishness. It pays off big time.

Sometimes 40 is a parking lot, sometimes Central or Bridge or Montaño are better options.

Now if you lived in Atlanta, San Francisco, or even LA, you would:
a) face this on a daily basis, and worse on an occasional basis
b) probably have to travel twice as many miles
and
c) have no better alternatives because of poor long-term urban planning and/or topographical constraints

I vented because they closed off three lanes of a major thoroughfare for construction during a peak rush hour period.

Is it so hard to do construction at night? Many states do this.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,204,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I vented because they closed off three lanes of a major thoroughfare for construction during a peak rush hour period.

Is it so hard to do construction at night? Many states do this.
Sometimes, yes it is.

Freezing temperatures often make the only time you can practically do certain types of repairs during daytime hours.

Other times the repairs take a continuous period of months.

I don't know the specifics behind the particular traffic snarl you're complaining about; it's well possible somebody screwed up and mis-scheduled it.

If you look at the concrete walls surrounding Coors & I-40, with a bas-relief of the left half of mountains, left half-left half-left half, it was supposed to be left half-right half-left half, etc. but the way the designer numbered them "1A", "1B", "2A", "2B" confused the contractor, who installed them "1A", "2A". Rather than redo them they decided to live with them, but it is an interesting reminder that road construction projects are performed by fallible humans.

Something to think about while staring at brake lights after you forgot to check the maps app.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
If you look at the concrete walls surrounding Coors & I-40, with a bas-relief of the left half of mountains, left half-left half-left half, it was supposed to be left half-right half-left half, etc. but the way the designer numbered them "1A", "1B", "2A", "2B" confused the contractor, who installed them "1A", "2A". Rather than redo them they decided to live with them, but it is an interesting reminder that road construction projects are performed by fallible humans.
Is that why they are doing construction on I-40 WB around Rio Grande?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque