Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:45 AM

35 posts, read 45,593 times

Advertisements

MrGuy, what did you decide? We are looking at NE Heights for the commute and schools and while I am not looking for acerage, I am looking for 4 bedrooms that won't break the bank. Wondering how your house hunting went and where you ended up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 03:44 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,288 times
Seven4and2, I don't think Mr Guy ended up moving here (based on his post history he mentions moving to Phoenix instead) but if you have questions about neighborhoods, housing, etc. please post and ask away (and be sure to mention what breaking the bank means to you)!

Old 08-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
Seven4and2, I don't think Mr Guy ended up moving here (based on his post history he mentions moving to Phoenix instead) but if you have questions about neighborhoods, housing, etc. please post and ask away (and be sure to mention what breaking the bank means to you)!
Thanks, Albuquerque101! I tried to rate you up but apparently I have liked too many of your comments already

Old 08-24-2019, 12:24 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Public school teacher here...in short, don't wreck your (and your kids') life with some hour-long one-way schlep across town for the "best" school. It often does more harm than good, esp. for the kids. And it's a total yearlong PITA. Trust me.
Do your homework... greatschools.com isn't perfect but gives you some good insight on just how massive some ABQ schools are. And the ratings of said schools. Every school everywhere, actually.
1) ABSOLUTELY stay away from massive populations in the buildings: your kid doesn't have a prayer if he/she is student
number 2,146. And good luck with that in ABQ.
2) La Cueva is OVERRATED as a school. Not awful, and certainly decent, just overrated. It's just the kids are higher income (all relative, it isn't Beverly Hills anywhere in ABQ)....but that doesn't mean the teachers or admin or staff are top-notch.
3) nothing wrong with private or parochial if you can do the tuition.
4) most importantly, sometimes 5 minutes away is the best answer, even if it's not the top statistical choice. But again, do some digging. No one needs to chew up a day's hours in preparation for a long-distance school road trip, daily. And the return trip as well. No 7-year-old needs to be getting home at 5:30. Daily. Till age 18. In short....what can everyone live with and smile with?
5) I'm a strong union teacher and I hate charters out of principle (mostly because charter staff make Wal-Mart money and are looking for a better paying gig asap, and you get what you pay for). But East Mountain has a lot going for it, I must admit. But not enough for long commutes. (And be careful of the "unbiased" charter school "lottery"). There's similar options across the metro.
6) Several of us teachers went to Manzano a few months back for a few days of training and some intense student and program observations...I'd also say no, but only because of the enormity of it (typical massive ABQ high school).. Many programs there (and staff there) are terrific and we long-term teachers who have seen it all were flat-out impressed. But send our kids there? No. Just too darned big. If it had 400 students and not 1700? Absolutely.

Last edited by kpl1228; 08-24-2019 at 12:45 AM..

Old 08-24-2019, 02:37 PM

kpl1228 - I realize your post was in response to the OP. I am hoping to capitalize on an active education thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Do your homework... greatschools.com isn't perfect but gives you some good insight on just how massive some ABQ schools are. And the ratings of said schools. Every school everywhere, actually.
I use Greatschools as a starting point but Niche and Schooldigger are worth the read, too, as is the local paper and a tour of the APS district website.

Quote:
1) ABSOLUTELY stay away from massive populations in the buildings: your kid doesn't have a prayer if he/she is student
number 2,146. And good luck with that in ABQ.
So, what do you suggest as an alternative in terms of size? I appreciate a smaller school, too. However, if the smaller schools are in areas that have other conflicts (housing affordability, crime and safety, commute), or there *are no smaller schools* then, as you said, good luck. It seems massive high schools are pretty common in the APS district so what do you suggest as an alternative?

Quote:
2) La Cueva is OVERRATED as a school. Not awful, and certainly decent, just overrated. It's just the kids are higher income (all relative, it isn't Beverly Hills anywhere in ABQ)....but that doesn't mean the teachers or admin or staff are top-notch.
I tend to agree with this, in general. We have had feedback from a couple of people who basically say it's LCHS and nothing else. I wonder how many of the people who throw out that as the end-all-be-all have ever bothered to look anywhere else. However, their average SAT scores are significantly higher than the other comparable APS high schools - 130-170 points higher. Why is that? LCHS has higher graduate proficiency rates, too. LCHS is not my top choice for other socio-economic reasons, but it's hard to deny the numbers. I also wonder how many people think LCHS is the end-all-be-all based on their own desire for status or image rather than the actual education and total experience their student(s) are receiving.

Quote:
3) nothing wrong with private or parochial if you can do the tuition.
Not sure who would disagree with that but it's not in the budget for many people. You vehemently eschew a commute for the sake of schools. I know many who commute specifically to attend private or parochial schools. Which do you see as the bigger trade off in terms of what APS and the ABQ metro area has to offer?

Quote:
4) No one needs to chew up a day's hours in preparation for a long-distance school road trip, daily. And the return trip as well. No 7-year-old needs to be getting home at 5:30. Daily. Till age 18. In short....what can everyone live with and smile with?
Eh. People in larger cities deal with more time away commute-wise and survive. My 7 year old get home between 4:45 - 5:30 pm daily because we both work and she attends after school care (and we live 6 minutes from work). I would venture to guess that is the case for many families with 2 working parents and for single-parent families. I would also venture to guess that housing choice is rarely made on school zoning alone. I would gladly put in 45 minutes each way for a house that meets all our needs, a neighborhood that fits our lifestyle, is within budget, *and* affords schools we love.

Quote:
5) I'm a strong union teacher and I hate charters out of principle (mostly because charter staff make Wal-Mart money and are looking for a better paying gig asap, and you get what you pay for). But East Mountain has a lot going for it, I must admit. But not enough for long commutes. (And be careful of the "unbiased" charter school "lottery"). There's similar options across the metro.
I am not a fan of leaving major life factors up to luck or chance. We currenty live in a state with "open enrollment." What a joke. We decided to buy in-zone for our school of choice and so glad we did. Two years later, the district said that despite the state law, open enrollment was basically maxed out and everyone had to go to their zoned school. I was really surprised when I read about the lotteries there in ABQ. I checked out the waiting list for Cottonwood Classical Prep and was astonished. The waiting list was as long (or longer?) than the number of students accepted. I would rather establish ourselves in a school zone/cluster that we love both the schools and the home and the neighborhood and then do what we can to volunteer with the school. We currently attend a school with outstanding parent involvement and it shows.

I would be curious on what your view of the west side vs east side is (excluding the commute issue). We are considering Eldorado vs Volcano Vista. They seem comparable in testing. We like both for different reasons but are looking at college prep options, tennis, and drama. Moreover, we want somewhere that feels like a cooperative, positive environment with a healthy dose of competition but not so much so that competing is the only measure of success. We would prefer a decently rated middle school (let's face it, there are a couple but middle school, in general, is a hard time for most kids, and ratings are skewed). My 7 year old is both academically and socially advanced but not in need of a gifted program. I have experience as a public school teacher, as well, so I feel I am equipped to help her if we ended up in a weaker elementary school. We specifically need an elementary school with an onsite after-school care program. It seems the east side and west side schools are serviced by a different provider for after-school care but I can't find much in the way of reviews and feedback for these organizations.

Last edited by Seven4and2; 08-24-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque