Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times

Advertisements

I moved to ABQ from Boston but I didn't look for a place to live until I got here. Sounds like you really like to plan ahead. Come back in 10 years (if we are still here) and then we'll be able to help you. The Atrium may have burned down by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 09:31 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I moved to ABQ from Boston but I didn't look for a place to live until I got here. Sounds like you really like to plan ahead. Come back in 10 years (if we are still here) and then we'll be able to help you. The Atrium may have burned down by then.

Wow what a coincidence :-). Three out of 560,000 people in ABQ answer my post, and then it turns out one of them had also moved to ABQ from Boston!! Incidentally, I'm not into horoscopes, but I'm an Aries too :-)... good start on New Age & Shamanism in the Southwest! Is that a "sign" of some sort regarding moving to ABQ - should I just take a peyote & ask a coyote about it??? :-)))) Seriously though, thanks for the input!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
I think if you are not sure about the Atrium condos, there should be plenty of other condos in the area that are more peaceful/nicer and still within those prices. For example if you are open to Rio Rancho I know specifically of a very nice community of condos (it's not gated but it's still nice), and I'm sure Albuquerque proper must have similar.

I wouldn't worry about leaving your stuff locked up in your condo for weeks at a time. Definitely no issues with natural disasters in Albuquerque. Flooding is most certainly not an issue. You would think fires would be an issue but this is not the case in Albuquerque. In NM fires tend to be an issue in the national forest lands in the mountains (the Jemez/Los Alamos seem particularly vulnerable) but not in Albuquerque.

The walking a lot around Albuquerque might be the only thing I'd be a little concerned about. I mentioned how I used to do it a lot, but on second thought I was a young teenager and there were far fewer people and cars at that time. Traffic nowadays in Albuquerque doesn't seem at all respectful, and someone mentioned they're not respectful to pedestrians, so it might be less pedestrian safe than it was when I was living there.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:35 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I think if you are not sure about the Atrium condos, there should be plenty of other condos in the area that are more peaceful/nicer and still within those prices. For example if you are open to Rio Rancho I know specifically of a very nice community of condos (it's not gated but it's still nice), and I'm sure Albuquerque proper must have similar.

I wouldn't worry about leaving your stuff locked up in your condo for weeks at a time. Definitely no issues with natural disasters in Albuquerque. Flooding is most certainly not an issue. You would think fires would be an issue but this is not the case in Albuquerque. In NM fires tend to be an issue in the national forest lands in the mountains (the Jemez/Los Alamos seem particularly vulnerable) but not in Albuquerque.

The walking a lot around Albuquerque might be the only thing I'd be a little concerned about. I mentioned how I used to do it a lot, but on second thought I was a young teenager and there were far fewer people and cars at that time. Traffic nowadays in Albuquerque doesn't seem at all respectful, and someone mentioned they're not respectful to pedestrians, so it might be less pedestrian safe than it was when I was living there.

It's alright, after 27 years of ducking Boston drivers who will drive right over you whenever they are making a right turn (or even when they drive straight through a red light - lots of colorblind drivers in Boston, it seems), I can handle crossing a street/road/highway anywhere. Also, I'm not a poor little old lady but still pretty athletic at 59, and am an offspring of a grandfather who walked 5+ miles per day until 6 weeks prior to his death at the age of 99 (and his son/my father still walks more than that in his mid-80s back in Europe). So, I think I'll be alright in ABQ, I don't expect drivers to stop for anything, and will not walk in front of a moving car.

Also, I am not looking specifically for a quiet area, but am interested in Rio Rancho, yes (as long as it has some form of public transportation to that transport center in downtown ABQ from which I can easily get to the airport).

Old 06-30-2019, 11:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Also, I am not looking specifically for a quiet area, but am interested in Rio Rancho, yes (as long as it has some form of public transportation to that transport center in downtown ABQ from which I can easily get to the airport).
My wife and I have lived in Rio Rancho for the past 20+ years. The public transportation has grown in Rio Rancho, however not much. I see a variety of small bus's carting people around, but I have no knowledge of them or how they work. We each have our own vehicle and there are standby friends and family can cart us around, if need be.

These pages may help:

https://rrnm.gov/2145/Public-Transportation
Albuquerque
Transit

Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
Wow what a coincidence :-). Three out of 560,000 people in ABQ answer my post, and then it turns out one of them had also moved to ABQ from Boston!! Incidentally, I'm not into horoscopes, but I'm an Aries too :-)... good start on New Age & Shamanism in the Southwest! Is that a "sign" of some sort regarding moving to ABQ - should I just take a peyote & ask a coyote about it??? :-)))) Seriously though, thanks for the input!
I'm not into astrology either and not an Aries, it's just a random name.

Quote:
It's alright, after 27 years of ducking Boston drivers who will drive right over you whenever they are making a right turn (or even when they drive straight through a red light - lots of colorblind drivers in Boston, it seems), I can handle crossing a street/road/highway anywhere. Also, I'm not a poor little old lady but still pretty athletic at 59, and am an offspring of a grandfather who walked 5+ miles per day until 6 weeks prior to his death at the age of 99 (and his son/my father still walks more than that in his mid-80s back in Europe). So, I think I'll be alright in ABQ, I don't expect drivers to stop for anything, and will not walk in front of a moving car.
Well one of the things ABQ has ranked first for is pedestrian fatalities, so keep that in mind. My eye doctor was killed while crossing Montgomery about a half mile east of the Atrium. She crossed the street to grab a coffee to take back to her office but never made it. And a coworker was killed crossing Central, both using the crosswalk. Boston drivers crawl in slow traffic and get swarmed by pedestrians at some intersections, while Albuquerque drivers (because of the city's layout) are going much faster and seldom look for pedestrians.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:35 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Well one of the things ABQ has ranked first for is pedestrian fatalities, so keep that in mind.
Oh geez. That's news to me, I didn't realize the driving situation was so bad. That's definitely worse than 20+ years ago. (Although cars in Albuquerque have never paid much mind to pedestrians, cyclists, or motorcycles. I was almost killed twice on a motorcyle in Albq 25+ years ago).

Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 AM

54 posts, read 128,892 times
Quote:
I'm not into astrology either and not an Aries, it's just a random name.
I assumed you drove a Dodge Aries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque