Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 05:39 AM

8,338 posts, read 4,375,272 times

Advertisements

I already asked this question, but inside a somewhat unrelated thread, so didn't get any answers... Anyone knows anything about this condo complex? I am interested primarily in (1) safety, and (2) why are these condos so inexpensive? I am somewhat familiar with the city, and have some vague consideration (very, very vague at this point) of maybe buying a small condo for retirement in ABQ or Santa Fe (a few other cities are also under consideration... all of my life I thought I was going to retire to NYC, now in semi-retirement am finding out that I actually no longer like the way in which NYC devolved, so am thinking about other places).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 AM

No replies on this one either... I guess I should conclude that thus condo complex is not well known, or the area not interesting. Okay. Any other gated condo complexes (preferably 55+, but not an absolute requirement) one could recommend in either ABQ or Santa Fe that meet these criteria? :

(1) It is safe to leave belongings locked inside the condo while traveling away from home for weeks at a time. This includes safety from theft or natural disaster (brush fire, flood).

(2) There is public transportation nearby (a bus or something).
(3) There are small units available for purchase under $200k.

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No replies on this one either... I guess I should conclude that thus condo complex is not well known, or the area not interesting. Okay. Any other gated condo complexes (preferably 55+, but not an absolute requirement) one could recommend in either ABQ or Santa Fe that meet these criteria? :

(1) It is safe to leave belongings locked inside the condo while traveling away from home for weeks at a time. This includes safety from theft or natural disaster (brush fire, flood).

(2) There is public transportation nearby (a bus or something).
(3) There are small units available for purchase under $200k.

Thanks for any input.
I looked at the address on Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/42...4d-106.5973112

My wife has had medical appointments across the street.

We have eaten at Cocima Azul across the street and at the Del Taco down the street

When I take her for her appointment, I go for a one to two hour walk of the area, depending on her scedule.

One of my grandchildren was born at the Womans Hospital about a half mile to the east about 10 years ago.

I have walked through some of the apartment parking lots.

I have walked through some of the stores, malls, etc.

There is a good doughnut shop across the street to the east.

I have met some friendly people on my walks.

I am usually taking photos. Not sure were they are right now, I have over 45,000 photos on one of my sites: https://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho_nm/albums

It does not seem to be a bad area (other than rush hour traffic).

Several buses come down that area...

I have met some friendly people on my walks. Some speak English and Spanish (My native language was Spanish).

I would not mind living in that area, or in those apartments.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
The Atrium area along Montgomery is a busy area with a lot of traffic, and as Poncho said there is a hospital nearby, many businesses, restaurants, a high school, and apartment complexes. It is not the kind of "peaceful" area I would prefer or the kind of area where I'd like to take walks or ride my bike, but your needs may be different. It is very convenient to I-25 and there is a bus route along Montgomery. Will you have your own transportation or would you rely on public transportation?

If possible come out for a visit.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:20 AM

Thanks a lot guys. This is very helpful. Of course I would visit the area, possibly even rent something there for a few months before deciding to buy. I would be walking (I walk a lot and consider 10 miles a walking distance :-) and using city buses, prefer not to have a car (I'm a world traveler, and the car would not be getting any use for half of the year).

Old 06-29-2019, 02:30 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Thanks a lot guys. This is very helpful. Of course I would visit the area, possibly even rent something there for a few months before deciding to buy. I would be walking (I walk a lot and consider 10 miles a walking distance :-) and using city buses, prefer not to have a car (I'm a world traveler, and the car would not be getting any use for half of the year).
If long distance walking is your thing, then Albuquerque is definitely walkable. When I was in high school I used to bike regularly from a lesson I had in the far NE Heights down to the far South Valley and it was quite enjoyable.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
How did you come across the Atrium? I recommend you work with a real estate agent when you're looking to buy. They know the area and can help you choose something that would work for you and it might be something you would never have thought of. Rather than have random people suggest things.

Bus service here is pretty minimal compared to larger cities and pedestrian amenities (like decent sidewalks removed from traffic) can also be lacking in many areas. When looking at bus routes be sure to check the schedules, since some routes may have only one or two buses a day in each direction and no weekend service. This is a very car-centric city. I have done a lot of walking and know that drivers here can be very impatient with pedestrians and not observe your right to cross at an intersection (even when you have a green walk light), or just aren't looking for pedestrians because there hardly are any.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
How did you come across the Atrium? I recommend you work with a real estate agent when you're looking to buy. They know the area and can help you choose something that would work for you and it might be something you would never have thought of. Rather than have random people suggest things.

Bus service here is pretty minimal compared to larger cities and pedestrian amenities (like decent sidewalks removed from traffic) can also be lacking in many areas. When looking at bus routes be sure to check the schedules, since some routes may have only one or two buses a day in each direction and no weekend service. This is a very car-centric city. I have done a lot of walking and know that drivers here can be very impatient with pedestrians and not observe your right to cross at an intersection (even when you have a green walk light), or just aren't looking for pedestrians because there hardly are any.

I have done all of the above in ABQ when I visited in the past (ie, drove, used the city bus, and walked), so I think I have a pretty good idea of the situation - I still think I'd be okay without a car. I am pretty set in my habits, and can work out the bus routes and hiking routes that interest me.

Re Atrium, I just looked for gated communities on Zillow, and two Atrium condos are on the market right now, priced very low compared to my present home condo in Boston MA - they cost 1/4 of the value of my tiny Boston condo even though they are larger. As there seemed to be nothing glaringly wrong with these Atrium condos, the low price puzzled me, so I asked about it. Far from it that I would buy anything without more detailed info (incl from realtors), but this is just a casual inquiry, far from the buying step. I have to remain based in Boston for 10 more years, so I will not be moving to ABQ any time soon, and may decide on something other than ABQ in the end (I am considering a handful of other cities). I find the climate, the interesting Indian/Spanish history/atmosphere, the low cost of living (compared with the coasts) , and the convenient presence of the airport in the city all positive elements of living there. But I am far from any definite decision about moving to ABQ (or to Atrium condos).

Old 06-30-2019, 08:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,288 times
I just found out I can get free rides to my medical appointments (ones where I can't drive myself) since my wife doesn't drive anymore. FYI that part of town is fine. They were probably apts at one time that's why they're cheap. Renting first is an excellent idea.

Last edited by Rich Cabeza; 06-30-2019 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: add

Old 06-30-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I just found out I can get free rides to my medical appointments (ones where I can't drive myself) since my wife doesn't drive anymore. FYI that part of town is fine. They were probably apts at one time that's why they're cheap. Renting first is an excellent idea.

Aha, the rental element of the condo complex probably explains the price! Further internet search suggests that a lot of this Atrium locked complex is still rental. The ads for the two units that are for sale now do not say what the % of owner-occupied units is in the condo complex. In some areas (notably San Francisco, CA) banks will sometimes not lend for purchase of a small unit if the condo (or co-op) building is more than 2/3 rental (ie, it is possible to buy a condo in such a building only for 100% cash, not with a mortgage). Yes, that could be the reason for the low price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque