Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

'Ghetto' refers to the concentration of students in the area. It is not frat row, though. I would say that about 1 in 5 houses on my street is rented by students. Other blocks in the area, ones with apartment complexes, have a higher student ratio.

UNM students, by and large, are a lot quieter than what I have seen in college towns, though.

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Default Student Ghetto

Student Ghetto is a term applied to any area near a/the university
in any and all cities where a university or college resides.

In Albuquerque, it is the UNM Ghetto.

In Columbus, it is the OSU Ghetto.

There is a Pennsylvania State University ghetto

and an Arkansas State university ghetto. ....

.... and so on and so on out the wa-zoo ...

For almost all, it is also a term of endearment.

google "State university ghetto" or "university/college ghetto" if the above is not sufficient.

Generally such areas are "historic" and/or "run-down."

Yes, many consider them to be slums. <== screw em'

I tend to gravitate toward the school ghetto. I friggin
loved the University of Dayton Ghetto area. Loved it!

Last edited by mortimer; 01-10-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 12:45 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
in any and all cities where a university or college resides.

In Albuquerque, it is the UNM Ghetto.

In Columbus, it is the OSU Ghetto.

There is a Pennsylvania State University ghetto

and an Arkansas State university ghetto. ....

For almost all, it is also a term of endearment.

google "State university ghetto" or "university/college ghetto" if the above is not sufficient.

Generally such areas are "historic" and/or "run-down."

Yes, many consider them to be slums. <== screw em'

I tend to gravitate toward the school ghetto. I friggin
loved the University of Dayton Ghetto area. Loved it!

Interesting, we're originally from Indiana and the state universities there do not have student ghettos associated with them (or at least I've never heard of one). But that's probably because they're land grant universities so the cities they reside in only exist because of the university and not vice versa. Or at least they only exist in their current state because of the universities.

The more you know... thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM

281 posts, read 629,364 times
Quote:

Ironically, Wazzu doesn't really have a ghetto. But it's another land-grant university.

-Z

Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I made a page here that might help for some of that question:
Looking at Nob Hill in Albuquerque
I posted on this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-nob-hill.html

However, since I worked that up, google street views has
covered the area 100% (*), so my little site isn't really of much
value any more. Still, since I spent the time and it's still there,
have a look and see if it helps.

(*) UNM Ghetto coverage is really poor on google street views.
Thanks, the photos are very helpful. It looks kind of like what we are looking for in our next city. A neighborhood with a walkable area close by that's also close to where she'd be working. Much appreciated.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM

90 posts, read 235,686 times
I haven't seen anyone posting many things to see/do on your visit. I'd highly recommend Albuquerque's "Old Town" (even though it's a 'tourist trap' it's still fun), and right next door is the city's museum district with the Art Museum, Museum of Natural History, and Explora Science Museum (fun for kids). The NM style mexican food is AMAZING, so you'll def. want to check out some of the local cuisine - it ain't your typical, traditional mexican food - it's MUCH better!

Def. check out the Tram as well. In January, it's probably not the best time to visit the botanical garden, but the aquarium is cool, as is the zoo if you're into that.

If you relocate, there are lots of 'day-trips' that can be a lot of fun: Acoma Sky City, Santa Fe, Valles Caldera, White Sands, VLA Radio Telescope, Carlsbad Caverns (well, maybe 2-days for this one)... The Balloon Fiesta in October, which is right after the State Fair in Sept.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlowe View Post
I haven't seen anyone posting many things to see/do on your visit. I'd highly recommend Albuquerque's "Old Town" (even though it's a 'tourist trap' it's still fun), and right next door is the city's museum district with the Art Museum, Museum of Natural History, and Explora Science Museum (fun for kids). The NM style mexican food is AMAZING, so you'll def. want to check out some of the local cuisine - it ain't your typical, traditional mexican food - it's MUCH better!

Def. check out the Tram as well. In January, it's probably not the best time to visit the botanical garden, but the aquarium is cool, as is the zoo if you're into that.

If you relocate, there are lots of 'day-trips' that can be a lot of fun: Acoma Sky City, Santa Fe, Valles Caldera, White Sands, VLA Radio Telescope, Carlsbad Caverns (well, maybe 2-days for this one)... The Balloon Fiesta in October, which is right after the State Fair in Sept.
Thank you very much. We're going to try to see as much as you can see in a weekend! We're definitely going to try to go up the Tram and we'll try to hit the Museum of Natural History. We're also going to be driving around looking at the housing situation.

Yeah, if we relocate there we'll be looking into the day-trips and outdoor activities. Neither of us has ever lived in an area with much to do outdoors. I'm a big fan of fly fishing and from what I understand NM is great for fly fishing. We're also looking forward to the hiking opportunities.

I'm ready to move right now, just need to convince the wife . Her family recently moved outside of Dallas and they're pushing hard for us to move there... living in Texas would be like my personal hell.

Another question for you guys. How is Albuquerque for allergies (me) and asthma (wife)? Specificially I have fairly horrible ragweed allergies. I can't imagine that it'd be any worse than Dallas, which I understand has a terrible allergy season.

Thanks again for answering all my queries.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
I suffer from both asthma and allergies. I moved here from the east coast and my asthma is considerably better, however I seem to suffer just as much from allergies and the dryness has played hell with my sinuses.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
Thank you very much. We're going to try to see as much as you can see in a weekend! We're definitely going to try to go up the Tram and we'll try to hit the Museum of Natural History.
Be sure to hit the Museum of Albuquerque. While it is mainly an art museum, they have great displays concerning the history of Albuquerque. Well worth it and right across the street from the Museum of Natural History and right up against the quaint back alleys of the Old Town Plaza.

ABQConvict

Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
Another question for you guys. How is Albuquerque for allergies (me) and asthma (wife)?
In general, people who move from a humid climate to a dry one (and vice versa) seem to find at least temporary relief from whatever they were allergic to. Albuquerque's drier climate and cold air may aggravate asthma if a person's main "trigger" is exercise related.

That having been said, I don't think it's possible to predict an individual's response to moving from one locale to another. You might escape a specific allergen you were bothered by only to find something else in the new location. I personally was cured of a serious allergic reaction to bermuda grass when I moved from a very dry to a very humid climate in my younger years and haven't been bothered by another allergen in the various locales I've lived since those days (knock wood!).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque