Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 PM

83 posts, read 227,833 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I live in the NW. How do Public Pools work out here? Do I have to join for the entire summer? Or can I pay as I go? Are there restrictions as to what pools I can go to? Etc.

Back east we could be members to any pool as long as we paid the summer long membership fee. Or you could pay as you go if wanted to only go a few times a season.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 PM

923 posts, read 2,420,346 times
We've been to all but one of these pools on the west side.

You can pay as you go or get a pass. Entrance at most city pools is around $2.50 (for youth -- less for very young children, a little more for adults) except for the West Mesa Aquatic Center. It's $3.00 there, but they have family swim nights on Friday nights where it's only 50 cents admission. In the daytime there are three pools open there -- an indoor play pool with water toys that spray, and a big slide; an indoor lap pool w/ diving boards, and an outdoor pool that also has a slide. Admission gives you access to all three pools assuming there aren't any swim meets going on. During family swim night, I think just the one indoor play pool is open. It's a ways south for us (still on the west side near I-40 and Coors), but it's the pool my kids favor the most.

West Mesa Aquatic Center - City of Albuquerque

Then there's the Paradise Hills pool near Ventana Ranch. It's small but quaint and also has a slide (outdoor pool). It was recently renovated. The cost is about a dollar less than the city pools. This pool is run by the county.
http://www.bernco.gov/upload/images/...Summer2010.pdf

Another small outdoor westside pool is the Sierra Vista Pool. We've never been to this one. It's in Taylor Ranch.
Sierra Vista Pool - City of Albuquerque

There's also the Corrales Pool (outdoor). That pool may be closed for renovation, so call for info at 899-8900.

If you are close to Rio Rancho, you could go to the Rio Rancho Aquatic Center which is next to Rio Rancho High School (an indoor pool):
The Official Site of Rio Rancho, NM - Aquatic Center

Or you could go to Haynes Pool in Rio Rancho which is across the street from Intel (a smaller outdoor pool):
The Official Site of Rio Rancho, NM - Haynes Pool

Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
The indoor choices in Rio Rancho/ABQ make me drool, as I'm going to lose my indoor pool in Alamogordo in about 6 months. It was nice while it lasted.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 PM

923 posts, read 2,420,346 times
We took the kids to the West Mesa Aquatic Center today for what we thought would be a fun afternoon of swimming. The pool opens at 12:30, so we arrived at 12:00 knowing there would be a line to get in.

While waiting in line, at least 100 people cut in line as they arrived at the pool. It was very annoying to see families show up right at opening and just slip into the line or see someone they knew and say, "Hey!" and then step in line with them. The line moved very slowly partly due to this.

We finally arrived near the building entrance at 1:15pm. There were 7 people in line in front of us, when a woman came outside and announced that the pool was at capacity and no one else would be allowed entrance until people left. Since we were so close, we decided to wait. At 1:30 (an hour after the pool opened), 3 people left. A family of 4 people were allowed to enter. We though, "Yay! Three more people and then we're in." At 1:45 the same woman came out and announced that a child had "used the bathroom" in one of the the indoor pools so that pool had to be evacuated to be cleaned which would take at least 45 minutes. She said that that put the other two pools way over capacity. Therefore, no one would be allowed in while the one pool was being sanitized, even if other people left.

Needless to say, we left very disappointed and ended up going to the Paradise Hills pool. I remember last year we arrived at the West Mesa pool after the opening time and found about 100 people waiting outside because the pool was at capacity. I guess this is an ongoing problem now because this never used to happen to us (we've gone to this pool since it opened several years ago), but this has now happened two summers in a row (and two times in a row).

So, I don't recommend going to the West Mesa Aquatic Center in the summer. It's just too crowded and the wait in line is long and hot.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM

28 posts, read 72,419 times
Default Looking to join a country club in the ABQ area

Can anyone here give me any stories, info on which CC might be best for me?
I live in Rio Rancho, but am open to considering CC's further in the city. Tanoan may be the best option for me because I know people who are already members there, but it's not the only option I consider.

Mainly I'm looking for something with good golf, tennis, and swimming amenities, but tennis is perhaps the most important. I don't necessarily need the fanciest of surroundings, but a genteel ambiance is certainly a plus.

Thanks in advance!

TheHikingCat

Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,045 times
Albuquerque Country Club may be a consideration also. Four Hills is too far from you.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,490 times
A co-worker is not a member of a country club but is an avid tennis player. Per my co-worker, Taonan has the best tennis facilities of the country clubs. Avoid Albuquerque Country Club (went downhill since tennis pro left) and Rio Rancho ?Chamisa Hills as the courts are very poor. Although not a country club, my co-worker is a member of the Tennis Club of Albuquerque (TCA) and recommends it. The TCA also has a swimming pool. But I don't think my co-worker has that much of a a genteel ambiance ;-)

Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 PM

28 posts, read 72,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
A co-worker is not a member of a country club but is an avid tennis player. Per my co-worker, Taonan has the best tennis facilities of the country clubs. Avoid Albuquerque Country Club (went downhill since tennis pro left) and Rio Rancho ?Chamisa Hills as the courts are very poor. Although not a country club, my co-worker is a member of the Tennis Club of Albuquerque (TCA) and recommends it. The TCA also has a swimming pool. But I don't think my co-worker has that much of a a genteel ambiance ;-)
Tanoan does seem to be the place to be these days. Four Hills is now Canyon Hills and they're turning it into a crappy corporate for profit CC, I want NO part in that.

I must ask, why is ABQ CC not what it used to be? Wasn't it like, the premier CC in the city at one time?
Yes, I do consider TCA as I played college tennis freshman year at UNM (I'm a sophomore now) and had friends who were members.

I guess that leaves Tanoan and TCA as the major options, and tbh, access to a private golf course is important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque