Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's a thought.

Gross.

Sorry, I tend to skip over posts that come across as shouting.
Well good morning, Drover!
So then why didn't you skip over my post, that you have quoted?
Apparently you don't tend to skip over posts that come across as shouting...
What makes you think I am shouting? Bold type isn't shouting. Full posts done in Caps Lock is. Bold type is used as an accent....bold type is easier to read and is appreciated by millions of people with less than perfect eyesight. Me, I have diabetes and have lost my eyesight to the point where I can hardly see anything anymore.
Oh, but that doesn't mean that I would post to tell you about your usage of the harder to see type. That would be rude.
And even the Caps Lock typing is sometimes used to accentuate text.
I do hope that you understand now why I prefer the bold type and why I use it almost all the time. I don't think many other people here are bothered by it....after all, you've been a member here so much longer than I have and yet I have as many reps, and I doubt that people give me reps just because I irritate them with my style of writing.
I hope you will consider what I am saying and can now deal with it better.

I merely suggested that perhaps Dr. Pepper or Coke would be good for that Vodka.

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-30-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
The most obvious answer is "make spicy bloody Marys." Problem is, I don't like tomato juice and I don't like bloody Marys. But I have this bottle of pepper vodka that I bought as part of a failed cocktail experiment (don't ask), and I'm trying to find some use for it so I don't end up dumping a $27 bottle of vodka down the drain. At this point, that seems to be its most likely fate. Any suggestions to avoid that fate that don't involve tomato juice would be welcome.
Bloody Mary is an acquired taste and the way to acquire the taste is pretty specific.

(i) Go out on labor day weekend and really "burn it down."

(ii) Wake up the next day and feel like warmed roadkill with sand in your eyes but have a tee-time in 45 minutes.

(iii) Pour a bloody and pound it with six Excedrin.

(iv) Decide you really like bloody mary when you realize that you feel great as you step onto the practice green before your round.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Roosty - I actually ended up googling pepper vodka drinks and Dr Pepper with pepper vodka is one of them! Great minds, eh? I'd give that a try for sure. BTW, bold type doesn't bother me but I tend to think of it as a mere preference and not as a need. Thanks for enlightening the crew!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Well Holy Ravioli, I declare! Can I just use Vodka and Dr. Pepper and throw some kind of hot pepper in it?
Aye, and my thanks and thoughts of appreciation to the crew! I wish we had access to background colors to type over....that would be cool

Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
You can make a spicy vodka chocolate or a vodka/Kahlua chocolate cake. That's more a Mexican flavor (maybe add a pinch of cinnamon). Or just your regular deep fudge cake moistened with vodka. Make the regular recipe, then soak a slice and try it first.

If you really just don't like the taste then I'd save it for the holidays to make vodka balls instead of rum or bourbon balls, or along with rum or bourbon balls. Again, chocolate. There's also a savory blue cheese/spicy vodka ball recipe that sounds good to me. That way it's part of an array of buffet items. You may not dig the flavor but I'm sure some of your guests will.

ETA: I find a lot of people who don't like tomato juice just don't like the thickness and pulp. It's nearing the end of summer. If you grow tomatoes, put them in a blender and puree, then strain it through cheesecloth. That'll give you a nice clear (pink-ish) water with pure tomato taste. Try a cocktail with that.

Last edited by Bunjee; 08-30-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Quote:
There's a thought.

Gross.

Sorry, I tend to skip over posts that come across as shouting.

Shouting??? That would be ALL CAPS. I agree 100% with rainroosty. I like a bold print also. Sometimes in different colors.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Well Holy Ravioli, I declare! Can I just use Vodka and Dr. Pepper and throw some kind of hot pepper in it?
Aye, and my thanks and thoughts of appreciation to the crew! I wish we had access to background colors to type over....that would be cool
That would be cool, rainroosty! Why would someone think using a color or bold print is equivalent to shouting?

Anyway, OP, besides using pepper vodka for cooking - a spash here and a splash there in various savory dishes - I'd be willing to try a shot of it straight up! I'll bet it's good. I've tried several infused vodkas at a restaurant in Chicago called Russian Tea Time, and one of them was horseradish, of all things. It was fabulous! It was like drinking liquid horseradish; cleared my sinuses for a week!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
WHAT THE HELL IS WITH ALL THE SHOUTING!!! LMAO

Ok
1) Pepper sauce for a steak. Use the pepper vodka in the final reduction.

2) Redeye gravy put in after you complete the rue portion of the gravy.

3) Any hardy beef stir fry use with the corn starch for the final thickening of the dish.

4)Use in mushroom chicken. The dish with whole pieces of chicken in a mushroom gravy with broccoli florets and sliced mushrooms.

5)Pepper chicken stir fry. Same as beef stir fry.

Anymore and I'll have to send you a bill.

AND QUIT SHOUTING ROOSTY!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:08 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
Mexican Hot Chocolate would be a good use for it as well.

A coffee bar I go to (it's an actual bar, they serve spiked coffee drinks ) serves a mexican hot chocolate drink that is made with irish whiskey, tequila, hot chocolate with cinnamon and chili powder. It's one of my favorite drinks since the cinnamon and chili give you a nice sharp chocolate flavor without actually making it taste spicy.

Substitute the pepper vodka for the alcohol and chili ingredients, and I think you'd have one mean cop of hot chocolate!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Only possible use: Remove bottle from freezer, pour in shot glass, down the hatch. Any other use is posing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages