Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times

Advertisements

Regarding temperature of wine,

I find the simple 20-minute rule works well. Pull out a refrigerated bottle of white 20 minutes prior to drinking or serving, and refrigerate red for 20 minutes before. It's that simple.

Although, I often just drink everyday stuff at room temperature. If you store wine in your basement, this works even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
I should admit I am snobby about the cork. I do like the idea of a cork and have never bought a bottle without a cork. Oddly enough, at the same time, I like the idea of decent/everyday quality wine in a bladder.

Put A Cork In It - YouTube

Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Wow, I refrigerate red wine because it always seemed to taste better. I guess I stumbled onto orthodoxy.
Likely because the wine is/was crap. The cold deadens the taste of wine because much of the "flavor" of wine comes through the olfactory sense. Alcohol evaporation is slowed when the wine is cold, so less of the aromatics are able to hitch a ride... with bad wine, that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
LOL, drinking from a juice glass takes away from the sophistication.

This reminds me of an old friend whose grandfather added ice to his boxed wine.
If I was forced to drink boxed wine, I'd probably ice it down too.

---------
Proper stemware helps keep the wine at a steady temperature and the shape of the bowl/globe enhances the wine tasting experience. Wine glasses have the shape that they do for a few very good reasons. There is nothing pretentious about it. If you drink good wine from a juice glass, you might as well drink directly from the bottle.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:14 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I should admit I am snobby about the cork. I do like the idea of a cork and have never bought a bottle without a cork.
That's another idea whose time has passed. The latest technology for screw on caps is every bit as good, and in some ways superior to traditional corks. And with more and more good wines coming to market with screw caps, it's no longer something to avoid.

And it's just in time, since the cork harvest required in order to supply the expanding world market for better wines is unsustainable.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's another idea whose time has passed. The latest technology for screw on caps is every bit as good, and in some ways superior to traditional corks. And with more and more good wines coming to market with screw caps, it's no longer something to avoid.

And it's just in time, since the cork harvest required in order to supply the expanding world market for better wines is unsustainable.
some very good wines are now being made using screw caps instead of cork. I would take that anyday over the stupid plastic corks many companies are using...You seem to know your wines.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
I admit to having a little drinkie of wine from a juice glass. Those are on the days where I am not about enjoying the experience but trying to relieve stress from a bad day.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Regarding temperature of wine,

I find the simple 20-minute rule works well. Pull out a refrigerated bottle of white 20 minutes prior to drinking or serving, and refrigerate red for 20 minutes before. It's that simple.

Although, I often just drink everyday stuff at room temperature. If you store wine in your basement, this works even better.
This is what I do. White taste better with the edge of the chill off and red taste better at basement temperature.
My favorite glass is the Maker's Mark rock glass that has lost it's red wax I have stemware--for whites, reds, sparkling, etc., but prefer my MM glass.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
This is what I do. White taste better with the edge of the chill off and red taste better at basement temperature.
My favorite glass is the Maker's Mark rock glass that has lost it's red wax I have stemware--for whites, reds, sparkling, etc., but prefer my MM glass.
interesting: I can understand the white but red to me has to be room temp.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
My parents got my SO a gag gift when he passed his CPA exams...a nice bottle of wine (not a gag), and a "Ozark wine glass" (the joke being that we live in Missouri, though not the Ozarks)...a lidded mason jar fused to a stem/ goblet pedestal. I have seen him drink soda out of it, being silly.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
some very good wines are now being made using screw caps instead of cork. I would take that anyday over the stupid plastic corks many companies are using...You seem to know your wines.
Yep, screw tops no longer really have the stigma (and boxed wine is climbing out of its tacky former rep, too). And those plastic corks suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages