Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times

Advertisements

All about Treehouse and Trillium for me lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM

54 posts, read 77,593 times
Anderson Valley Summer Solstice,
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
Sam Adams Irish Red Ale
Oktoberfest (lots of great brewers there)
Avery- Perzik Saison
Catawba Valley "Le Sexxxy Saison"

(the last two I had some over the weekend)

Old 09-08-2015, 08:55 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I choose beer for taste, not for marketing but really...these names...has anyone told the craft brewers they're not funny anymore? The bandwagon of silly names left the station 5 years ago. JMHO, of course!

I think you would be surprised at the taste of these beers.

They are world class and some of the best ales and stouts on the planet.

All three taste amazing.

I could honestly care less what the brewery marketing people name it.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:02 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
My bro in law is a beer snob, and actually works for Upslope Brewing, and he was impressed as well.
I've never quite understood this line of thinking.

It's like hey, my brother in law is a physics snob, he works as a Rocketry Engineer at NASA.

The whole beer nerd or beer snob thing is kind of superficial. Attaching a negative stigma to a person because they prefer a more refined or specialized product.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
I've never quite understood this line of thinking.

It's like hey, my brother in law is a physics snob, he works as a Rocketry Engineer at NASA.

The whole beer nerd or beer snob thing is kind of superficial. Attaching a negative stigma to a person because they prefer a more refined or specialized product.
Ah...being a beer snob isn't considered a bad thing......it's just that someone knows their beer.

Being prentious about it is a bad thing.......but as the Super Bowl Bud commercial showed......bad macro beer drinkers can be prentious.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Ah...being a beer snob isn't considered a bad thing......it's just that someone knows their beer.

Exactly, it is a badge of honor, which is a bit problematic perhaps, but it is better than not being into good beer.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,849,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Being prentious about it is a bad thing.......but as the Super Bowl Bud commercial showed......bad macro beer drinkers can be prentious.
Oddly enough, that commercial aired right after Budweiser acquired one of Seattle's most successful craft breweries (Elysian). The pumpkin peach ale that they make fun of in the commercial is an Elysian beer that debuted during their yearly pumpkin beer festival. That commercial helped convince Elysian's head brewer to leave Budweiser after the acquisition, breaking his contract a bit early.

Commercials like that make me really, REALLY hate Budweiser. The type of customer that they pander to during that commercial has no idea that they have been aggressively acquiring craft breweries.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:21 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
I think you would be surprised at the taste of these beers.

They are world class and some of the best ales and stouts on the planet.

All three taste amazing.

I could honestly care less what the brewery marketing people name it.
Yeah I know, and I don't disagree but it just makes me stop for an extra second at the cooler and wonder if the name is indicative of the brewer's seriousness or lack thereof. Like is he/she just jumping on the "silly name hop bomb" bandwagon or not.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
I've been drinking craft for ages, but one of the things that bugs me about many craft drinkers is their disdain for the whole lager/pils category as "too boring". Seems that many don't appreciate nuance and balance, preferring one-note flavors that stand out.

That said, among the nitro stouts, IPAs and saisons in my garage beer fridge is a six of Guinness Blonde, a decidedly non-craft beer. It's a highly divisive beer on the BA ratings forum, many 3+ scores, also many scores in the 1s. I happen to like it, a lot. I find it like an American Adjunct with more body, moreso than even Sam Adams lager/pils offerings.

I haven't really found a micro brewery that puts out a lager/pils that's worth the price premium. The last one I tried was Lagunitas' lager. It was OK, but here in PA it would run $43/case - and it's just not worth that, IMO.

Anyone have any good recommendations for lager/pils style micros that sell for under $10/six pack?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:50 AM

811 posts, read 1,148,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I've been drinking craft for ages, but one of the things that bugs me about many craft drinkers is their disdain for the whole lager/pils category as "too boring". Seems that many don't appreciate nuance and balance, preferring one-note flavors that stand out.

That said, among the nitro stouts, IPAs and saisons in my garage beer fridge is a six of Guinness Blonde, a decidedly non-craft beer. It's a highly divisive beer on the BA ratings forum, many 3+ scores, also many scores in the 1s. I happen to like it, a lot. I find it like an American Adjunct with more body, moreso than even Sam Adams lager/pils offerings.

I haven't really found a micro brewery that puts out a lager/pils that's worth the price premium. The last one I tried was Lagunitas' lager. It was OK, but here in PA it would run $43/case - and it's just not worth that, IMO.

Anyone have any good recommendations for lager/pils style micros that sell for under $10/six pack?
I totally agree with you. Micro lager/pils are not worth the premium prices. Either they're simply not tastier for the heftier price, OR they aren't really pils/lagers because they are so hoppy, malty, spicy, fill in adjective here... They're good, they're just not pilsners or lagers. Not really. (i.e. Victory Prima "Pils" that is basically an IPA, Nomad Pilsner that is, again, hoppy and spicy. Good stuff, but I just don't think we can call it what it claims to be anymore.).

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with a few of the favorite big-brewery Mexican lagers (ready for the criticism here, but I like what I like, and I am as big a connoisseur of craft beer as anyone): Victoria, Dos Equis Amber, and Negra Modelo (Technically a German dunkel-lager, the last is my favorite of the three & usual go-to.).

For a good, crisp pils, the Europeans still have us beat. I still love Pilsner Urquell (Czech - we're all familiar with this clean, crisp pils) and Würzburger Hofbräu (German - has a touch of bitterness/complexity without losing that clean, crispness) best. Those are the pils that I'm willing to pay a bit more for than our domestic go-to's, more so than any craft/micro versions.

It's all a matter of personal taste, but I definitely agree with you that the micro pils/lagers aren't worth the premium $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages