Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,863 times

Advertisements

Smithwick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:03 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I just recently got back into beer again and have found that my tastes really haven't changed.

My favorite beer is Budweiser.

I know that many "beer connoisseurs" will either laugh or gag at that notion but heck, I must not be alone. Budweiser is the third best-selling beer in the USA, and it is the best-selling full-strength beer (as opposed to "light beer"). Does that make it THE BEST? Not necessarily... but, man, I like it.

That has chapped my dad and my brother to no end, so I have tried many different beers along the way. Back in the day when I drank beer more often than I do now, I used to go to the bar and try various beers. I guess that's weird, because the bartender once asked me in friendly consternation "Why do you always change your beer?". I've found some beers I like but nothing I like as much as Bud.

Others that get honorable mention:

Michelob Lager - Good stuff. A bit more pricey than Budweiser, but a good bet. I like the smell of this one.

Bud Light - Okay, so I don't really go for light beer, but since this tastes pretty much like a weak version of Budweiser, I can drink it if it's there.

Coors Light - Haven't had it in a long time but I remember that I used to like it. It must come from a bottle, however. This one, for some odd reason, nauseated me when it came out of a can.

Rolling Rock - Tried it again recently and found that I didn't like it as much as I recall having liked it in college... but that's probably because I have since discovered Budweiser and I vastly prefer that.

Nothing against any of y'all who like dark beers and craft beers... I just never did. I have tried many a fancy beer that my dad has liked, and they all taste nasty to me. It can't be said that I haven't put forth the effort. I tried Guinness once - that was about as disgusting as a drink can be. To me it tasted like the smell of a dirty ashtray. Of course, nothing tops Magic Hat apricot ale. I couldn't even get one sip of that stuff down my throat.
To each his own and I respect that. I started on Bud and have a few now and then. Simple, uncomplicated and does the trick on a hot day. Same with Michelob. I prefer Coors banquet over CL and really don't care for light beers. When I'm adventrous I enjoy various European lagers. I've tried many of the craft beers and just not my cup of tea. I prefer my beer drinking now to be uncomplicated. Cheers

Old 07-26-2014, 02:39 PM

80 posts, read 146,602 times
I'm also a beer snob. My beer of choice will depend on the day, and there are so many phenomenal beers out there so this is hard to answer but Unibroue makes one of my favs - La Fin du Monde, all Chimays, Weihenstephaner, Rogue Brutal IPA are some that I've enjoyed lately.. Google Craft Beer bars in your area and venture away from the mass produced brands and you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 07-26-2014, 03:34 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Right now I'm drinking Magic Hat #9 Not Quite Pale Ale, and am loving every drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't get this at all. For the style Bud is, you can find far better examples. Here in Indiana, there is a brewery called Upland that has a pilsner in the style of Bud. It is far better than Bud.
It's far better for a person to drink what s/he likes than to worry about appeasing some beer snob and not enjoy the beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
People like what they like. And while I agree with you, Bud isn't terrible, I have no problem drinking it. It's fairly light flavored and crisp, finishes smooth. I find it pretty reliable and with a group of friends who are used to drinking basic macrobrews, it's something everyone will drink
Good point. I'll drink Bud, too ... and enjoy it ... if that's what's being offered.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good point. I'll drink Bud, too ... and enjoy it ... if that's what's being offered.
I'll drink Bud too, if that's what's being offered. But I do have my limits.

I was at a neighborhood party a couple years ago. The hosts had three kinds of light beer only, Amstel, Coors and Bud. I had an Amstel, didn't stay too long and wondered what the hell was wrong with these people. Do they think all their neighbors need to lose weight?

Fwiw, the hosts weren't exactly models of fitness. If I had to guess, I'd assume they simply don't drink beer and probably just asked the beer store what was most popular.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
I don't agree with this, but here is one list of overrated (so-called) beers:

18 Overrated Beers

Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

18 Overrated Beers
I agree with an awful lot of it. The only real objections were to three local flagship beers, and to a current fave, Magic Hat #9.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

18 Overrated Beers
he lost me at Heineken.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
he lost me at Heineken.
Yeah I agree. While Heineken may not be the best beer out there, it is a great BBQ day drinking beer for the summer. Taste really isn';t that bad at all.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
I disagree with the list except for Heineken and Stella. Heineken always tastes skunky to me. Stella isn't terrible but I don't understand why people prefer it over domestic lagers. It's no better than Bud to me but it's twice the price.

Magic Hat #9 has actually gone through the cycle from underrated to overrated back to underrated. #9 was a lot of people's first foray into craft beer, then it became ubiquitous, and now it's the beer beer geeks love to hate for some reason. It is what it's always been- a quite drinkable apricot-flavored pale ale.

Red Stripe is a weird inclusion on this list because I don't think I've ever heard anyone proclaim their love for it. It's what Corona drinkers drink when the bar is out of Corona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages