Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:38 PM

677 posts, read 653,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'll stick with Shiner Bock. I never don't enjoy a Shiner Bock.
You're in Texas, you should really try Thirsty Goat Amber, St. Arnolds Amber, Austin Amber ... so much better than Shiner Bock. It's like someone who swears up and down that they don't need any other burgers, because gosh-darn it Whattaburger is great and never disapoints. Sure, it's better than McDonalds (Coors/Bud), but it sure doesn't compare to a gourmet burger of prime meat expertly cooked by people who really put some love into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
You're in Texas, you should really try Thirsty Goat Amber, St. Arnolds Amber, Austin Amber ... so much better than Shiner Bock. It's like someone who swears up and down that they don't need any other burgers, because gosh-darn it Whattaburger is great and never disapoints. Sure, it's better than McDonalds (Coors/Bud), but it sure doesn't compare to a gourmet burger of prime meat expertly cooked by people who really put some love into it.
I have had those beers. I have had beers from all over the world while actually sitting in those countries.
I went to Germany and had fresh beer in each city. I have had Indian beer in India. Japanese beer in Japan. I am a huge beer aficionado and have tried 50 dollar a glass belgians and rotgut homemade swill.

St Arnold's is good with their seasonal xmas ale.

Otherwise, I find that that while the ones you have mentioned can be good, I have to be in a specific mood for it. Shiner just is always easy to drink and satisfying.

But thanks for the condescending b.s. What are you, 20?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 PM

677 posts, read 653,619 times
Quote:
More like 40 and just as travelled as you. While Shiner is marginally better than the horse pee that passes for most American mass produced beers, in my experience most people who are satisfied eating low quality food or drinking sub par spirits are those who have never really tried or been exposed to anything of real quality.

Call it condesending if you want, but there is somehting objectively better about a gourmet steak versus getting one at Chilli's, there is something objectively better about getting a pasta dish from a high end Italian eatery opposed to the ketchup and macaroni served by Olive Garden, and there is something objectively better about good beers compared to mass produced American crap.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,636 times
Quote:
I have had those beers. I have had beers from all over the world while actually sitting in those countries.
I went to Germany and had fresh beer in each city. I have had Indian beer in India. Japanese beer in Japan. I am a huge beer aficionado and have tried 50 dollar a glass belgians and rotgut homemade swill.

Otherwise, I find that that while the ones you have mentioned can be good, I have to be in a specific mood for it. Shiner just is always easy to drink and satisfying.

texans hating on each other

Old 06-05-2014, 07:09 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
What my favourites are change a lot depending on my mood.

Love
Guinness
Erdinger
Hoegaarden
Raging B i t c h
Arrogant Bastard

Hate
All big American yellow beer
Newcastle Brown Ale

Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM

I don't think Shiner is a great beer but its my go to light freezing cold beer at a bar as its usually pretty cheap too. Nothing wrong with having a stone cold beer you just want for that reason.

Not sure if you can get Buried Hatchet Stout where you are in TX, id definitely reccomend it. The small cans and price are a bit pretentious (IMHO anyway) but holy crap this is up there with my favourite Stouts of all time. I forgot to list it in my favourite beers for right now. Its brewed in Conroe.

Quote:

Old 06-05-2014, 07:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Hoegaarden is wonderful. Especially in the summer.

Shiner is okay. It's nice but I think it's a little overrated. A little too one note and done for me.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Hoegaarden is wonderful. Especially in the summer.

Shiner is okay. It's nice but I think it's a little overrated. A little too one note and done for me.
It is a great summer beer, youre spot on with that and with Shiner. Its not something I love but its a cheap slam a cold beer with a slight bit of flavour. It is to me what the fizzy yellow beer is to most. Fizzy yellow has absolutely no flavour to me except a slight vomit flavour at the back of my throat. Shiner has a slight bit of flavour which is why I find it OK to drink.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,504,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
What my favourites are change a lot depending on my mood.

Love
Guinness
Erdinger
Hoegaarden
Raging B i t c h
Arrogant Bastard

Hate
All big American yellow beer
Newcastle Brown Ale
I am not a huge fan of Arrogant Bastard, but that is a MAN's beer. My favorite from Stone is the Ruination Double IPA. Also hate Newcastle Brown... do you like other browns? I like the browns from Upslope, Big Sky, and Ska Brewing.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:48 AM

I think I have had Ska Brewing's and thats it. I am not a huge fan of the style. I have had an Osha (root) Nut Brown Ale homebrew which was fantastic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages