Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I am a Sauvignon Blanc drinker...in the $25-30 range, I like Cloudy Bay....less expensive everyday, anything from New Zealand, Kim Crawford is good.
Love that NZ sauvignon blanc.
I tried Two Oceans sauvignon blanc and it was not as complex as the others but quite drinkable.

Favorite French reds:
From the Cahors region, such as Clos Triguedina. This southwest region of France has deep, dark, rich wines, sometimes called "black wine."

Malbecs from Argentina are rich and smooth, too.

I've enjoyed Albariño wine from northwestern Spain.

I do like Chardonnay. I think those who say ABC (anything buy chardonnay) are missing out, because there are so many ways to make it. French chard will be different from Californian.
I like both. Chateau St Jean from California, Drouhin Laforet from France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,419,359 times
Two buck chuck

California Pinot Grigio

Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 PM

59 posts, read 106,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Oh boy... it really depends on what I'm eating or doing... but I have been buying a spanish wine by the case... Hecula... with the little back accent slash over the e... my local package store has it on sale for $11.99 a bottle regularly.

I tend to only buy a wine that is rated 90 points or above.
Going to seek this one out. Price is great, too. Thank you!!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Beringer, Sutter Home, Forest Glen all make a white merlot. Not always easy to find, but it is probably my favorite. I used to drink a white wine called Little Rhine Bear, but I don't know if it is made any longer. It was delicious.
Thank you! Think I have seen Beringer in our stores so will try that one. and am going to watch for the Little Rhine Bear you mentioned as well.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Altsheimer Rheinblick Spatlese. I prefer German to French white wine.

Last edited by Bideshi; 08-23-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 12:37 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Bella 52. Think with inflation I think it's now Three Buck Chuck. Whatever, I drink it too.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
A good French Red is all about region and timing. The only wine that won't change with time and region will be those mass produced and even they will change based on the seasonal grapes. I prefer those from the Burgundy Region (Pinot Noir and Beaujolais) and the Bordeaux Region (Cabernet and Merlot). I don't ever pay over $20 per bottle unless it's for a gift. I'm not into collecting & sipping; I prefer enhancing a meal.

There is an ABC Fine Wine & Spirits near my house with a full-time sommelier on staff. I go into the store and and ask for recommendations. Beaujolais Nouveau will be available the third Thursday in November. This is fun! They're usually cheap and to drink now; but again, I ask the expert. Some years I pass, other years I buy a case. LoL!

Wine.com also carries wines that include ratings from respected sources. One time, I printed out a list of the top rated and took it to the ABC store. I bought a couple of bottles and they were good, but I still prefer and trust the advice of my local expert. This sounds like I'm evading your question, but really...it depends! The bottle I have now is a Bordeaux Blend: Comtes de Tastes 2006 (http://shop.abcfws.com/-P15561.aspx - broken link).
You did answer my question. Like you, I rarely spend over $20/bottle, unless a gift/splurge/celebration... plus I'm on a budget. (sigh) Am going to check out the Bordeaux Blend. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:18 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
White Merlot
Yep I have some of the Sutter Home White Merlot myself... sometimes that just hits the spot.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,654 times
I prefer Italian wines.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,171,193 times
On a wine budget these days, as well. Love the Cline "Truck" blends. White Truck earned an 83 in Wine Spectator this month. Red Truck is great, too. And for you white zin & blush wine drinkers, they make Pink Truck! $10 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages