Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Franzia-Chardonnay
That stuff is great, and you cannot beat the price!

It's sunshine in a box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,307,902 times
i'm relaxing with a glass of white zinfandel and it is very good i might add.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,950,122 times
Pinot Grigio - Yellowtail & Luna di Luna are solid brands.

Just made it out to Temecula and did some tastings at Wilson Creek Winery & Vineyards. Everything I tasted was quality, even the couple that didnt match my palate I could still appreciate. They ship.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,481 times
I have some Sutter Home Merlot right now.. it's not my favorite, but it is something to relax with.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,835 times
Cherry Kijafa for a sweet dessert wine. Great with cheeses and fruit, a bit too rich with chocolate.

Wal-Mart sold some white zin for $3 a while back that was to die for. Light, crisp, fruity, and sublimely drinkable. I can't remember the name, but it had a big oak tree on it.

Banfi Classico Riserva Chianti is great as well. Amazing depth of flavor when you cook with it, but also great for drinking.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM

59 posts, read 106,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Reisling's. my favourite.

Found an excellent white from Navarra, Spain : Martin Kodax.
Very nice wine.

Soave, Pinot Grigio and Gavi are all lovely Italian wines.

Chilean wines ahev come on well in recent years.
Hi, Indurain, Have never heard of the wine from Spain or the Soave and Gavi. Will have to check those out. Thank you. Have tried and really liked some Chilean wines, too!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
I love wine....

Italy - Sangiovese, Chianti, Pinot Grigio
Oregon - Pinot Gris
Californian and Aussie Cabernets
Aussie or Argentinean Malbecs
Spain (my favorite) - Albarino, Riojas, Tempranillos

Wine is great!!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
For a simple table wine with dinner I like Louis Jadot Beaujolais or Ruffino Chianti.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
For a simple table wine with dinner I like Louis Jadot Beaujolais or Ruffino Chianti.
I like that Chianti. I'll have to try to Beaujolais. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:27 PM

590 posts, read 1,013,658 times
Italian reds. I don't mean the Bolla, santa Margherita crap. I mean, the real Italians from central Italy.
Real italian reds however can be expensive in the USA, so I alternate with some decent wines I found at good prices, like Shiraz by Wyndham (AUS). These wines are often overlooked and at $ 8-10 bottle they beat plenty of $ 25 California wines.
A good and not expesive American red is the Blackstone Merlot, reasonably priced. The most overrated wines are Californian reds, I would say that 60-70% of them are overpriced (but most people don't know wine, so they buy them thinking of buying something fancy and very good).

White wines: Italian if I need white wine to go with seafood or flavored deli meat cuts; agood Pinot Grigio or Pinot Bianco always work well for me. The best come from the regions: Veneto and Friuli (sometimes written in its entire name: Friuli-Venezia Giulia).
I also enjoy French Vouvray and Chardonnay as a pre-dinner aperitiv. I am still talking about wines below $ 20.00/bottle (except for some Italians).

I had Zinfandel several times at parties or bars, but I definitely don't enjoy it much, too sweet, too fruity, almost an "unwiny" flavor (and yes, "unwiny" is a new word I just made up, if you were wondering).

Finally, one tip for those looking into Italian wines. Always look for this on the bottle:
DENOMINAZIONE DI ORIGINE CONTROLLATA
or
DENOMINAZIONE DI ORIGINE CONTROLLATA E GARANTITA

That's the good wine, that meets all the strict requirements of good wine making. Spain and France also have a similiar system.

Oh, before I forget, check out some New Zealand whites. They are cheap, underrated and at 60-65 degrees they are often a great surpirse with some cheese or salami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages