Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I was the sudafed and drixoral queen prior to 1995 when grape seed extract came into my life. Actually, it was pycnogenol I took for a year and then found grape seed ex to be as good and less money. I have NOT bought an allergy/sinus drug in almost 21 yrs...plus I was a slave to an allergist and his shots etc and what they do...NEVER NEVER getting better.

Pynogenol and grape seed extract are short of miracles. Plus at the lecture on this powerful antioxidant, we were told they MAY prevent cancer(s)...didn't know allergies would be healed. In four days I knew and never touched another drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchworkpam View Post
How does Claritin work in all of this? Is Claritin just like taking Benedryl? Also, are they talking about people who have taken these meds every day for years?
That is explained in the first post.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:46 PM

Default A new study published Mon April 18, 2016

Common over-the-counter drugs linked to dementia - CNN.com

Quote:
A new study, published Monday, offers the most definite proof yet of what scientists have known for at least a decade: that anticholinergic drugs are linked with cognitive impairment and an increased risk of dementia.

Though you may have never heard of this class of drug, you've certainly heard of the medications themselves, including Benadryl, Demerol, Dimetapp, Dramamine, Paxil, Unisom and VESIcare. They are sold over the counter and by prescription as sleep aids and for chronic diseases including hypertension, cardiovascular disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

The new study is the first to examine the physical changes that serve as the catalyst for cognitive decline. Using brain imaging techniques, researchers at the Indiana University School of Medicine found lower metabolism and reduced brain sizes among study participants taking anticholinergic drugs.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/im...ess_041116.pdf

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE The use of AC medication was associated with increased brain atrophy and dysfunction and clinical decline. Thus, use of AC Medication among older adults should likely be discouraged if alternative therapies are available.

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-11-2016 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Add conclusions

Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
My spouse brought this to my attention because I use generic Benadryl as a sleep aid and it helps my GI condition which manifests as intolerant of many foods, not allowed to use the "allergic" word since no anaphylactic symptoms.

Made me sad cause it was so helpful but Alzheimers is in my genes (23andme says so plus family history manifested).
I took Claritin-D for years due to rhino-allergies and it was also so helpful.
I am quitting it, no question.
Why can't they find something I hate is bad for me? Why? Why?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:16 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
My spouse brought this to my attention because I use generic Benadryl as a sleep aid and it helps my GI condition which manifests as intolerant of many foods, not allowed to use the "allergic" word since no anaphylactic symptoms.

Made me sad cause it was so helpful but Alzheimers is in my genes (23andme says so plus family history manifested).
I took Claritin-D for years due to rhino-allergies and it was also so helpful.
I am quitting it, no question.
Why can't they find something I hate is bad for me? Why? Why?
I have many intolerant food issues also. I started using these: http://www.amazon.com/PRO-15-Recomme...ilpage_o00_s00

and they cleared up. I do the subscription, and get 1 bottle every 60 days. I swallow 1 pill each day. I lost 20 lbs in a few months, and I now maintain my weight without even trying. I no longer go constantly between constipation one day, and diarrhea the next. Maybe it'll work for you.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
Thanks for the info. I've used probiotics for many years and they help but not eliminate my food intolerances. I'll bookmark this for future trial. I have VSL#3 (the strongest probiotic) in fridge along with others my gut tolerates.

I just used probiotics to counteract strong antibiotic course but have to be careful even with probiotics as they can cause allergic reactions too for me.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I can't say that I found the medical term "anticholinergic" in the article very helpful, nor the mention of a very small number of drugs. Here, from the Virginia Geriatric Organization (about whom I know nothing), is a rather thorough list of such drugs by category and brand name.

Virginia Geriatrics: Medications to Avoid in the Elderly

Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
So HAPPY to be off those drugs, no memory loss with grape seed ex, to the contrary, improved memory and everything overall.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I can't say that I found the medical term "anticholinergic" in the article very helpful, nor the mention of a very small number of drugs. Here, from the Virginia Geriatric Organization (about whom I know nothing), is a rather thorough list of such drugs by category and brand name.

Virginia Geriatrics: Medications to Avoid in the Elderly
Yes, "anticholinergic" is a real mouthful.

That link you provided is a good resource, thank you for listing it.

The very first post I started in this thread included this link to a far more comprehensive list of AC (anticholinergic) drugs. Here it is again. http://www.agingbraincare.org/upload...legal_size.pdf

Best wishes...

Old 05-20-2016, 04:23 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I have a chemical allergy MCS that Ive had for forever since the 1960s.. doctors dont understand it and cant help me.. and offer me these tablets for other allergies... I told the doctors that they dont help with chemicals and when I tried some they gave me a splitter of a headache.., I take a lot of pills for HBP and dont want any more to mess up my insides if they dont help... Then I got offered steroids and declined... Doctors give out all these pills willy nilly for any problems without investigating and finding out a lot more about these allerigies...More should be done to promote awareness and triggers instead of filling bodies with more pharma rubbish..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies