Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,140 times

Advertisements

Claritin makes me feel odd to say the least. What else can I do for a sinus infection, nasal congestion and post nasal drip. I can not take anything with a decongestant as it makes my heart race. I am on amoxicillin for the sinus infection but need something to help this. My sinuses are blocked and have to drain them. I have done Flonase sensimist and of course Claritin. Can not do Claritin anymore. I want to stop this from going into my chest and lungs. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Sinus issues queen here!

I know this is very weird looking but it works. Netipot. Uses a warm saline solution, goes in one nostril and drains out he other. Takes out all the funk inside. First time is weird but you get used to it.

Relief for me is immediate. If I don't do this, I end up with sinus infection which then leads to bronchitis. Prior to doing the netipot I was on more steriods and Zpacs than I care to remember.

First time my husband saw me do this he says OMG that is so wrong.

Do you go to a doctor? I get a RX made at a compound pharmacy called rescon. Its does not have a decongestant in it.
Rescon used to be a regular RX but the Pharm company didn't get it FDA approved. All it was is a mixture of two RX's they did get approved. So now you can only by it from a compound. Its all that works for me, I can't take clairiton or allegra.

If your doctor is not familiar with the word Rescon, call the compound RX's and ask them. If they don't know I can write down what is in it per my RX.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
The neti pot/nasal irrigation suggestion is good (although if you are really blocked up, it can be difficult to do).

I have had good experience using the Chinese formula Long Dan Xie Gan Wan (or its variant Coptis Purge Fire) to head off the beginning of sinus infections. I'd recommend the Plum Flower brand for the former.

Another possibility is goldenseal, which I have found to be helpful for sinus infections or sinus congestion that seemed like it could lead to an infection.

Also, try to keep your indoor environment humid enough.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 04-04-2017 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
The Netti Rinse bottle works better than the Netti-pot and is less messier. Use warm water with a tiny amount (5 drops) of baby shampoo and you'll get some good relief.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
You need to get rid of any infection first with an antibiotic.

I have been using Flonase, the regular kind in the green bottle. NOT Sensimist. Sensimist is a different chemical entirely that just came out and my pharmacist said a lot of people are saying that it's not working for them. They created it because they couldn't get the taste out of Flonase that people, especially kids, were always complaining about. I'll take the taste if the stuff works. The green bottle is what is still used for prescriptions.

I hope you feel better soon, hang in there

Old 04-08-2017, 10:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The Netti Rinse bottle works better than the Netti-pot and is less messier. Use warm water with a tiny amount (5 drops) of baby shampoo and you'll get some good relief.
Agree for me as well. The sinus rinse bottle has a bit of pressure to really squirt the water up there. It actually has changed my life becuase I used to get CONSTANT sinus infections and now, it's about 3 times a year.

I use the sinus rinse, then Flonase and Astelin and voila! No more infections.

I use the salt packet that comes with the Neilmed Sinus Rinse bottle instead of baby shampoo though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
You need to get rid of any infection first with an antibiotic.

I have been using Flonase, the regular kind in the green bottle. NOT Sensimist. Sensimist is a different chemical entirely that just came out and my pharmacist said a lot of people are saying that it's not working for them. They created it because they couldn't get the taste out of Flonase that people, especially kids, were always complaining about. I'll take the taste if the stuff works. The green bottle is what is still used for prescriptions.

I hope you feel better soon, hang in there
Agree. If there truly is a sinus INFECTION - then antibiotics may be needed first.

I have bad allergies and subsequent sinus infections and my regimen is this:

1. Neilmed Sinus Rinse (daily)
2. Flonase spray (daily)
3. Astelin spray (daily)
4. Sudafed to relieve the sinus pressure if needed (as needed)
5. Allegra as well if allergies are bad (daily)
6. Mucinex with lots of water to help thin everything out. (as needed)

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2017, 05:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
I don't like the squirt bottle, which I find difficult to handle at some point (as it starts to empty).

This is what I use and would recommend for nasal irrigation:

SinuPulse Elite Sinus Irrigation System Allergy Control Products

When I travel I use a neti pot.

As far as antibiotics go, the OP already mentioned using amoxicillin.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:47 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
My father used an old italian folk remedy. He'd put red wine vinegar in a pot, boil it, and breath in the steam. He put a towel over his head to keep the steam in. Stunk out the whole house, but it worked for him.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
WARNING - NO FOR THE SQUEAMISH!

This is gross but one needs to 'clean house.' If you are having a neti issue, you could be too clogged.

My doctor taught me to twist an end of a Kleenex tight and stick up nose. Sometimes if I hit it right it goes into my sinus's and pulls out the crap. If I don't and allegens are seasonally bad, there's plenty to pull out in my nose.

Haven't had a sinus infection in years. I am on shots so if my ear canals start itching, time for a shot.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:05 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Here is a previous thread on this issue. A friend who is 84 just informed me she has asthma that came on later in her life. I've given her a lot of info on grape seed ex and how this antioxidant can help save her some misery.

Sinus infection cure?

I'm into 22 yrs on grape seed ex and I'm 79 soon. No allergy sinus issues AGAIN.

Went thru drugs and allergist appts all my adult life before I found grape seed ex, actually found pycnogenol first and then found grape seed extract...both are short of miracles.

There are 100's of sites about these OPC's but this is one of my favorites, it tells so much.

http://grapeseedextract.com/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-02-2017 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies