Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 04:06 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times

Advertisements

From my personal experience, I don't believe Alternative Medicine is 'alternative' at all. Rather, I think Western Medicine is the alternative for my good health. Western Medicine, in most instances, only treats the symptoms, but not the underlying causes of our dis-eases.

And I fully believe, that 90% of our illnesses are caused by our lifestyle decisions as related to our diets, stress, and exercise levels--and are fully preventable.

Eating garbage foods leads to garbage health. A crying shame, really, that so many of our supermarket foods are garbage.

They're not called "junk foods" without good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 04:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I personly thionk most of theose who turn to it are the desperate lookign for a mriacle really. I don't see that it has much scientific proof other than personnal testimonyy. Plasibo are just as a simailar or greater effectiveness.Had a brother-in law that turned to it and die not to long after when he was doing fine on tradtional medicane.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
texdav....Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother in law.

Myself and the other poeple I know personally who rely upon so-called alternative health care, do so because we value our health above all else. Not one of us is desparate, nor are we looking for miracles. The proof is in the fact that we are all very healthy individuals in our 50s and 60s when most of our contemporaries who rely upon allopathic medicine are suffering from a variety of ills. Science may offer little proof of it's effectiveness, but those of us staying healthy with alternative health care practices place only minimal value upon the proclamations of science.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM

143 posts, read 377,941 times
I think my problem is with the term 'alternative medicine'. It is a hodge podge of unproven, long used medical treatments which may or may not work and have not be researched or rigorously peer reviewed. Some of the stuff may be great and have shown good results, others have not shown positive outcomes, and others are downright harmful.

I don't believe in bashing something simply because it's not accepted in mainstream Western medicine, but I'm not going to embrace something because "people's used it for years!".

As for me, I will stick with good nutrition, exercise and healthy living. If I get sick, I'll go to my doctor.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,020 times
OP, you're pretty much wasting your time asking that question here (unless it's a bogus question), if you want an unbiased and intelligent discussion of the pro's and con's of both alternative and mainstream I suggest you'd be better off asking the question somewhere else.

Without reading the entire thread I would say most responses would be bashing alternative treatments because the only 'recommendation' for any health care treatment which would be given any credence would need the seal of approval from the established "authorities?".

Those of us who are better educated in alternatives are well aware of the pro's and con's of both as we are equally well aware of the numbers of charletans, quacks and bogus remedies in both, hence suitable research needs to be addressed to weed out the snake oils from those which have proven efficacy. Because one will not find that information available in the "authorative?" published literature one needs to work a little harder to find it, but hey, it's worth it. If a person's going to kark it anyway why not remove the blindfold and look to something outside of mainstream which may show promise in a more healthy life, while promoting a better quality of that life!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Two words:

Placebo Effect

Two words old fashoined real HEALTH CARE. "Alernative Medicine" today is
traditional MEDICINE -- two more words--- that has been around for HUNDREDS of years. The problem is, MODERN WESTERN MEDICINE although not NEARLY as effective for chronic and degernative condtions is more PROFITABLE by using DRUGS to no make anyone healthy again but to just COVER UP their symtoms.

The true strength of western medicine is for TRAUMA EMERGENCY care and for some diagnostics but for chronic and degenerative diseases, it is a waste of time and money going to see a regular MD. . They SIMPLY doe NOT have the understanding or training that NDs do about chronic conditons.

Search my past posts for "Naturopaths" to learn more.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Two words old fashoined real HEALTH CARE. "Alernative Medicine" today is
traditional MEDICINE -- two more words--- that has been around for HUNDREDS of years. The problem is, MODERN WESTERN MEDICINE although not NEARLY as effective for chronic and degernative condtions is more PROFITABLE by using DRUGS to no make anyone healthy again but to just COVER UP their symtoms.

The true strength of western medicine is for TRAUMA EMERGENCY care and for some diagnostics but for chronic and degenerative diseases, it is a waste of time and money going to see a regular MD. . They SIMPLY doe NOT have the understanding or training that NDs do about chronic conditons.

Search my past posts for "Naturopaths" to learn more.
Training of ND what training, only in 10 state are required training in all others don't need any type of training.
Oh and I am sorry , western medicine or like you call it modern western medicine is the reason we life longer today,
Natural medicine of the 1800's, 1700's are the reason people lived until their 40's and 50's.
Sorry to say this but you are clueless about real medicine, our education what we do, how we manage disease and how we CURE diseases.
Going to a ND so that he can tell you to take extremely high levels of vitamins or even sell you extremely expensive vitamins is not real medicine.
Oh besides, do you even know who actually discover vitamins and what they do? Yeap western medicine.
Is funny that you say that MD is for the money and ND are not, since medicaid or Medicare doesn't cover it, I guess the only thing ND accepts is Cash. While MD can only charge X amount of money (contracts with insurance company) the ND can charge what ever he/she wants.

Explain this to me, how come people died of little simple infection before western medicine? How come you say we don't cure when you have an infection, antibiotics is given and you get cured? How come in your old fashion way of ND, if a soldier got wounded in battle you had to cut the hand or leg then burn what ever is left to stop the bleeding and killing bacteria in the wound? Why in today medicine that is not necessary?

Old 06-11-2009, 05:10 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Training of ND what training, only in 10 state are required training in all others don't need any type of training.
Oh and I am sorry , western medicine or like you call it modern western medicine is the reason we life longer today,
Natural medicine of the 1800's, 1700's are the reason people lived until their 40's and 50's.
Sorry to say this but you are clueless about real medicine, our education what we do, how we manage disease and how we CURE diseases.
Going to a ND so that he can tell you to take extremely high levels of vitamins or even sell you extremely expensive vitamins is not real medicine.
Oh besides, do you even know who actually discover vitamins and what they do? Yeap western medicine.
Is funny that you say that MD is for the money and ND are not, since medicaid or Medicare doesn't cover it, I guess the only thing ND accepts is Cash. While MD can only charge X amount of money (contracts with insurance company) the ND can charge what ever he/she wants.

Explain this to me, how come people died of little simple infection before western medicine? How come you say we don't cure when you have an infection, antibiotics is given and you get cured? How come in your old fashion way of ND, if a soldier got wounded in battle you had to cut the hand or leg then burn what ever is left to stop the bleeding and killing bacteria in the wound? Why in today medicine that is not necessary?
[Natural medicine of the 1800's, 1700's are the reason people lived until their 40's and 50's.]
-Errrr...that wouldn't be because it's a little early would it, before "modern" medicine took off? not to mention of course the less hygienic social practices and living conditions of the time? I'd like to think we've improved our hygiene, sanitary practices and diet just a tad as a civilization over a couple hundred years.

[how we CURE diseases.]
-Excuse me...did I hear that right? To my knowledge by far the greatest majority of diseases etc etc are "treated" not cured!

[Going to a ND so that he can tell you to take extremely high levels of vitamins or even sell you extremely expensive vitamins is not real medicine.]
-Oh? and modern medicine doesn't prescribe bucket loads of drugs, even extra drugs to rectify side effects of a drug/s one is already taking? and is cheap to boot? can I come and live where you live!

[Oh besides, do you even know who actually discover vitamins and what they do? Yeap western medicine.]

-That's a joke right? don't lose that sense of humour. Yeap, western medicine could hardly give you something and tell you it came from the bark of the surface feeding roots of 200 year old yum yum tree down in dingly dell could they, they had to call it something...I know! let's call it a "vitamin"!

[MD is for the money and ND are not]
-Hey, everyone needs to get paid don't they, ask any corporate big wig? and how cheap is western medicine without some form of health cover or insurance?

[how come people died of little simple infection before western medicine]
-That could be because it was before western medicine came about!

[How come you say we don't cure when you have an infection]
-Because sometimes you don't, it's that simple!

[antibiotics is given and you get cured]
-If that's a broad statement then it's plain wrong, it's the toss of a coin, some have a reaction to antibiotics and some don't. There has *never* been a documented case of a reaction with the "alternative" antibiotic I use.

[if a soldier got wounded in battle you had to cut the hand or leg then burn what ever is left to stop the bleeding and killing bacteria in the wound? Why in today medicine that is not necessary?]
-Now you're just being silly!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:14 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
Quote:
-Errrr...that wouldn't be because it's a little early would it, before "modern" medicine took off? not to mention of course the less hygienic social practices and living conditions of the time? I'd like to think we've improved our hygiene, sanitary practices and diet just a tad as a civilization over a couple hundred years.
Yes and no, is also because of modern medicine, modern drugs and modern therapy.

Quote:
-Excuse me...did I hear that right? To my knowledge by far the greatest majority of diseases etc etc are "treated" not cured!
I can give a list of thousand of diseases that we CURE. There are of course disease that don't have cure(genetic conditions, etc.)

Quote:
-Oh? and modern medicine doesn't prescribe bucket loads of drugs, even extra drugs to rectify side effects of a drug/s one is already taking? and is cheap to boot? can I come and live where you live!
NO, it depends, each patient is different, but if the patient has multiple conditions (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes) then of course the Pt will be on a few drugs.
I live in NYC.

Quote:
-That's a joke right? don't lose that sense of humour. Yeap, western medicine could hardly give you something and tell you it came from the bark of the surface feeding roots of 200 year old yum yum tree down in dingly dell could they, they had to call it something...I know! let's call it a "vitamin"!
Can you please tell me know each vit. was discover before you start talking nonsense here.

Quote:
-Hey, everyone needs to get paid don't they, ask any corporate big wig? and how cheap is western medicine without some form of health cover or insurance?
ND, is not cheap. At least doctors have 11 years of education, compare that to an ND, especially in the 40 states that don't even require one, not even a High School diploma. a subject that you gladly ignored.

Quote:
-That could be because it was before western medicine came about!
??? That is because antibiotics, that western medicine discovered.

Quote:
-Because sometimes you don't, it's that simple!
Really? of course we are not talking about incurable diseases, but to say that modern medicine doesn't cure anything is just crazy.

Quote:
-If that's a broad statement then it's plain wrong, it's the toss of a coin, some have a reaction to antibiotics and some don't. There has *never* been a documented case of a reaction with the "alternative" antibiotic I use.
No it wasn't, if you are in a hospital, and you have a fever. You will get a fever bloods work done, that would included a blood culture and sensitivity. From there we determine the best medicine and kill the bacteria. So it shows how little you know about medicine, and no coin tossing in real medicine.
What alternative antibiotic use? does that even exist?
Also you should know that your "never" is not true.
From Kava Kava, causes liver damage.
Everybody knows about Ephedra.
Vit. A overdose is extremely toxic, etc.

Quote:
-Now you're just being silly!
Really so how come "Natural medicine or pseudomedicine" couldn't cure the soldier? How come modern medicine CAN?
Because ND doesn't do anything.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
cjma79 wrote:
From Kava Kava, causes liver damage.
Everybody knows about Ephedra.
Vit. A overdose is extremely toxic, etc.
I use all of these in moderation with no ill effects. In contrast to Alan Jackson song ( Too much of a good thing is a good thing ), I have found that too much of a good thing is not always a good thing. These are all good supplements. None of them are intrinsically harmful. What casues the harm is the idiotic manner in which some people use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine