Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:33 PM

653 posts, read 816,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hello. So ive got what I believe to be a sinus infection and is causing daily headaches. I've got constant pressure in my face and under my cheekbones by my eyes. Sometimes when I blow my nose, thick yellow mucus is discharged. I went to the pharmacy and bought that sudaphed, the kind where you show id to get. When I take it, the pressure lessens and the headaches all but go away. But they come right back after the 24 hour time period when the sudafed wears off. I work part time, my girlfriend was laid off last month and I cannot afford a doctors visit. Needless to say, health insurance is non existent for me sadly. NY help to get rid of this infection would be great. Thank you.
I've had this for 3 months now. I too don't have insurance. Went to urgent care twice, an ENT once and nothing has helped. When you don't have insurance, doctor's treat you differently. They treat you with the bare minimum. Not once in three months , have I been given a blood test, x-ray or test of any kind. Just been given antibiotics and an anti inflammatory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
Quote:
Hello. So ive got what I believe to be a sinus infection and is causing daily headaches. I've got constant pressure in my face and under my cheekbones by my eyes. Sometimes when I blow my nose, thick yellow mucus is discharged. I went to the pharmacy and bought that sudaphed, the kind where you show id to get. When I take it, the pressure lessens and the headaches all but go away. But they come right back after the 24 hour time period when the sudafed wears off. I work part time, my girlfriend was laid off last month and I cannot afford a doctors visit. Needless to say, health insurance is non existent for me sadly. NY help to get rid of this infection would be great. Thank you.
Hi, I second the use of nasal rinses (very different than using a saline nasal spray though...) but you don't even have to get either a neti pot nor the commercial solution or mix, all you need is to take a trip to a dollar store and head to the baby section and get a nasal aspirator like these ones and prepare your own mixture with one cup of preferably lukewarm boiled and filtered water to which you will add 1/4 tsp. of salt without additives and 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Some of the recipes online differ in the amount of each ingredient but I lean more towards more baking soda than salt because it kills fungus, probably the major cause of most sinus infections to begin with.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Hi, I second the use of nasal rinses (very different than using a saline nasal spray though...) but you don't even have to get either a neti pot nor the commercial solution or mix, all you need is to take a trip to a dollar store and head to the baby section and get a nasal aspirator like these ones and prepare your own mixture with one cup of preferably lukewarm boiled and filtered water to which you will add 1/4 tsp. of salt without additives and 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Some of the recipes online differ in the amount of each ingredient but I lean more towards more baking soda than salt because it kills fungus, probably the major cause of most sinus infections to begin with.
Fungus isn't even in the top 10 for causes of sinus infections....definitely not "the major cause"

The "major cause of most sinus infections to begin with" is viral, by a large margin

The next most common organisms are bacterial
"Bacterial organisms isolated from diseased sinus cavities can include: Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, Staphylococcus aureus, coagulase-negative staphylococci, and, less commonly, gram-negative enteric bacteria."
Elsevier

Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
I would look for a doctor who takes cash patients at a discount, it is possible you have an infection, if that's the case it can get very bad and actually cause scarring that can make you more prone to future issues. You may need antibiotics to get it under control.

For chronic sinus issues, acupuncture can be extremely effective, I hear the word miracle often used to describe it for sinus, and headache sufferers. I realize money is an issue, I would recommend looking for what is called "Community Acupuncture" many places now have these clinics, where you have a private discussion with the practitioner, but you rest with the needles in a group room, the sessions are on a sliding scale starting as low as $15-$20. Check this site to see if a clinic is near you, or just google community acupuncture, as this site only lists members, but there are others who aren't listed.

https://www.pocacoop.com/clinics/

Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
The last sinus infection I had, back in 1998, was brutal. I picked up some Echinasea and Goldenseal extract at the healthfood store and using a bulb syringe, mixed it with very hot UNCHLORINATED water and squirted it up my nose. It took a couple of days of doing this before the infection broke and started to heal. Also, take some vitamin C and get plenty of sleep to help boost your immune system.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
OP, some people swear by Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. The herb Butterbur has been tested against drugs like Claritin and works as well or better. I bought some recently and it does seem to work for me. I would start with the natural stuff before wasting money on a doc. Take a look at the earthclinic site, its very helpful for what ails ya. Cure a Sinus Infection

Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Fungus isn't even in the top 10 for causes of sinus infections....definitely not "the major cause"

The "major cause of most sinus infections to begin with" is viral, by a large margin

The next most common organisms are bacterial
"Bacterial organisms isolated from diseased sinus cavities can include: Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, Staphylococcus aureus, coagulase-negative staphylococci, and, less commonly, gram-negative enteric bacteria."
Elsevier

Really? REALLY?

Fungal Sinusitis

Chronic sinusitis: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Here's one of MANY videos on Youtube which shows a fungal ball being surgically removed, so please get your facts straight next time...

SPHENOID SINUS fungal ball - YouTube

Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Really? REALLY?

Fungal Sinusitis

Chronic sinusitis: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Here's one of MANY videos on Youtube which shows a fungal ball being surgically removed, so please get your facts straight next time...

SPHENOID SINUS fungal ball - YouTube
I have my facts straight thank you

As per usual YOU don't...

From the SAME website you so kindly provided..

Sinusitis

Show me WHERE in the above information "fungal infections" is even listed as a cause of sinusitis???

The FACT remains that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF SINUSITIS IN THE US IS ENVIRONMENTAL, VIRAL THEN BACTERIAL.....

You can "believe" fungus causes the majority of sinusitis if you wish, just like you can "believe" the sun orbits the earth if you like.

Unfortunately for you, the causes for sinusitis are well understood, well studied and not open to debate.....

Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I have my facts straight thank you
As per usual YOU don't...

From the SAME website you so kindly provided..

Sinusitis

Show me WHERE in the above information "fungal infections" is even listed as a cause of sinusitis???

The FACT remains that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF SINUSITIS IN THE US IS ENVIRONMENTAL, VIRAL THEN BACTERIAL.....

You can "believe" fungus causes the majority of sinusitis if you wish, just like you can "believe" the sun orbits the earth if you like.

Unfortunately for you, the causes for sinusitis are well understood, well studied and not open to debate.....

Again, really, REALLY??? Luckily, most who know you here know you just love to argue, but here's another link for you:

Mayo Clinic Study Implicates Fungus As Cause Of Chronic Sinusitis

Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 PM

And from the Mayo Clinic website itself: Research on Chronic Sinusitis, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine