Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie4530 View Post
For me, I tried it for digestive issues. Not only did it not work after several expensive treatments, it hurt like hell. I wonder if I just had an inept pracitioner.
It doesn't hurt at all if done right. Sometimes I would feel a slight electrical tingling but that's all. And it did work. Sometimes it worked right away but for other issues it worked over a long period of time.

I did go to some students one time, supervised by professionals, and had very little success so I think your experience was with practitioners who just weren't very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,758 times
I have used acupuncture for various problems, including low testosterone (medical doctor wanted to put me on testosterone gel at age 35), chronic fatigue, constipation... there is usually at least some improvement. In the case of low-testosterone, the improvement was dramatic (my testosterone went from 170 to 550 over the course of 6 months and a few treatments).

A good doctor trained in Chinese medicine is also able to treat syndromes that your western doctor will just shrug their shoulders at or dismiss as "all in your head".

Accupuncture should not hurt much but you will feel needle sensations. The weaker your body is, the stronger they will be. Usually there are feelings of tingling, sometimes a dull ache at the point of the needle- that's part of how it works, it's called de qi (drawing Qi)

Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Has it helped anyone here with back pain issues? Hubby has had 3 back surgeries and still in pain. Nothing seems to help
I have serious spine problems that seem to hereditary in my father's family, and I had an accident that rather badly bunged up part of my spine. I have had eight operations - one on the cervical spine for three fusions and a prosthetic plate, and five in the dorsal and lumbar spine and have two long bars implanted in the spine. My experience with acupuncture vis a vis the back is this:

1. After the cervical operation although I recovered the ability to write with my right hand and could use the right arm fine, the pains in the trigger points of both trap muscles was just as excruciating as before the surgery. The surgeon recommended three options, and I chose acupuncture, which I had never had and had no particular faith in. I went to a Chinese doctor who had practice in China for years, and them immigrated to the U.S.

The treatments were twice a week, then quickly went down to once. They were sometimes a bit painful in the beginning. After about six weeks all of the pain was gone. After that it has only returned two or three times in one single trigger point.

2. A fractured spine. When I was recovering I got terrific pains in the upper right thigh and inside of the same leg. Accupuncture would relieve the pain to the degree that I could sleep, but in a day or two it would return. Another treatment would be effective in the same way. And after a few weeks the pain gradually faded away, never to return.

3. Doral-lumbar problems. In the earlier stages of sciatic impingement acupuncture was effective in relieving the pain. However, it reach a point over time where it was not at all helpful, and the acupuncturist had said at a certain point that the treatment was going to be no longer efficacious. I continued with the treatments in the face of his protests, but after three more treatments he said that it was not working and that it would not work and flat out refused to continue.

Thus, I was completely pleased with one and two...especially as it allowed me to cut down on using large amounts of narcotic painkillers. In the case of #3, the amount of structural deterioration in the spine was rather extensive, and I am not surprised that it quickly proved pointless.

This is a bit off the thread, but it is appropriate to the question. In the later stages I used the drug Lyrica (which takes a bit of time to get used to), and not in large amounts, and it was effective over a fairly long period.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM

538 posts, read 5,350,268 times
I need a chiropractor or acupuncturist for this pinched nerve in my neck that shoots excruciating pain down my shoulder and arm. My fingers are even numb because it.........going on about 8 weeks now.

Wonder if it will work/help?

The regular doctor gave me pain pills and some steroids. The steroids were only a five day supply and kicked in within 20-30 minutes....no pain at all. The pain pills weren't worth a damn and just make you unable to operate heavy machinery or drive. Practically worthless and I dumped the last of them.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
This is a very interesting thread. I’m going to check into this with our chiropractor who is also an acupuncturist. Both Mrs Aks & myself suffer from some issues that have been talked about here and we might find out acupuncture would help more. Thanks to all for the info.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jade Stingray View Post
I need a chiropractor or acupuncturist for this pinched nerve in my neck that shoots excruciating pain down my shoulder and arm. My fingers are even numb because it.........going on about 8 weeks now.

Wonder if it will work/help?

The regular doctor gave me pain pills and some steroids. The steroids were only a five day supply and kicked in within 20-30 minutes....no pain at all. The pain pills weren't worth a damn and just make you unable to operate heavy machinery or drive. Practically worthless and I dumped the last of them.
Yes you do. 8 weeks is a long time.
Accupuncture can help in this area. I've used it for back pain previously

Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM

16,662 posts, read 17,426,834 times
I have been having acupuncture on and off a few times this year.

It came about almost by chance.

I was on a cruise and my wife persuaded me to go for massage to relieve the tension in my shoulders and lower back pains. One thing led to another until it was suggested I try acupuncture.

Results were noticeable right from the start.

A chance remark by me whilst having treatment on the ship led to an amazing event.

I suffer from Dupuytren's contracture in both hands. I asked, almost jokingly, if acupuncture would help.

Given that I was almost at the end of the cruise the practitioner, who had trained partly in China, gave me an aggressive form of treatment- electroacupuncture.

I could not believe my eyes. After one treatment the pinky of my right hand was straight after having been at an angle of maybe 30 degrees for a few years.

The right hand's pinky is not responding so well, but has improved as I continue to have irregular sessions back in the UK. The lesions are as before, but as I said the fingers are straighter.

My back is a lot better than it was and my shoulders are far more relaxed.

I might add that I worked in medical research for a number of years and have studied conventional medical treatments but as you can tell I am a big fan of this ancient treatment.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
What a great thread.

How does one find a good accupunturist? Look in the phone book? Find good reviews online?

Many years ago a nephew had a football injury (knee) that doctors couldn't seem to help. He had acupuncture and his pain was gone. Forever. He's now in his 50's.

I detest taking pills. I might try acupuncture for a compressed vertebrae.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What a great thread.

How does one find a good accupunturist? Look in the phone book? Find good reviews online?

Many years ago a nephew had a football injury (knee) that doctors couldn't seem to help. He had acupuncture and his pain was gone. Forever. He's now in his 50's.

I detest taking pills. I might try acupuncture for a compressed vertebrae.
Be SURE to find one that practices TCM (traditional Chinese medicine. Either they have trained in China or attended a University. I am being seen by the Dean of a university (natural medicine)where I live, he also has an extensive Western medical background. I would not give him up for the world. You DO want to be sure you get someone with a lot of experience and who knows what they are doing.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:59 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I would recommend it. I actually got the urge to go when I posted in another thread and a CD member told me to try it, too. My therapist had said it for months, but there is nothing like a testimonial!

Mine was actually not too bad cost wise. It was $25 for about an hour and a half. They do the needles and then let you lie and relax while the music plays. Then they came over an talked to you. I even got a sheet with foods that are good for anxiety. I do think it gets exacerbated by my diet.

I am currently in New Orleans and in the process of moving to DC. I am sure it will be lots more expensive there! I am going to try and do it once a week.
People with cost prohibiting them from receiving acu: Google Community Acupuncture in your area-clinics/practices offering this are sliding scale low cost. Another option: Visit an oriental medical school and be treated by interns under instructor/dr. supervision. [In most parts of the country, the degree is a master's of OM and study is 3-4 years full time medical program]. The clinics are great and low cost in my experience. Many schools will also offer specialty clinics including pediatrics, oncology, etc. Worth researching your area to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine