Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times

Advertisements

So let me put it this way, here is James Randi telling exactly what Homeopathy is all about.

James Randi explains homeopathy - YouTube

You decide if its reasonable.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:22 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
If you think this person is telling exactly what homeopathy is about you are sadly mistaken. No, it has never been scientifically proven, to my knowledge. It is not the placebo effect either. It is still in the realm of the unknown and can be reasonably discussed in alt.met. If this thread was meant to start a fight, that is trolling and the thread will be deleted. If you are trolling, you are open to receiving infractions.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you think this person is telling exactly what homeopathy is about you are sadly mistaken. No, it has never been scientifically proven, to my knowledge. It is not the placebo effect either. It is still in the realm of the unknown and can be reasonably discussed in alt.met. If this thread was meant to start a fight, that is trolling and the thread will be deleted. If you are trolling, you are open to receiving infractions.
I know nothing about the OP who posted this but I have used homeopathic remedies with success in the past. A story I heard once but can't recall particulars of, was that there was a physician who set out to prove it wrong. She worked very hard at it and finally concluded that it works--we don't know why it works but it does, is what she said. Many people in Europe use homeopathic remedies and I'm loathe to dismiss them all as misguided idiots.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I know nothing about the OP who posted this but I have used homeopathic remedies with success in the past. A story I heard once but can't recall particulars of, was that there was a physician who set out to prove it wrong. She worked very hard at it and finally concluded that it works--we don't know why it works but it does, is what she said. Many people in Europe use homeopathic remedies and I'm loathe to dismiss them all as misguided idiots.
I agree with you.

Western Medicine is so quick to judge what it does not understand. It's sad, really.

Homeopathy does work, from my experience. I took one class. I am no expert. It is very complicated (in terms of the diagnostics and the prescribed remedies - it takes a lot of inquiry to diagnose something accurately (for instance, a cough has to be dissected to be dry or wet, better with heat or cold air, etc. - there are many variables that have to be considered).

I have a lot of respect for doctors who practice homeopathic medicine.

Too bad the AMA is such a bully.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I've purchased homeopathy remedies, around 20 years ago. I had Bach's Rescue Remedy too in the medicine cabinet back around 1983-4ish (right after I graduated college).

I'm pretty convinced that it was the placebo effect that made it "work." I had no idea how to take them/use them, no idea what they were supposed to "do" to fix what was wrong, how long it was supposed to take to feel effects, or the duration of treatment. So when I finally got around to asking a naturopath what I was supposed to experience - it turned out that my experience didn't even come -close- to matching what I should have experienced. What had happened, was that I put my *faith* in the tiny sugar-coated balls, and it was the faith alone that eased my anxieties (that's why I was taking them).

The "medicine" didn't do a thing. I was able to duplicate this by putting my *faith* in stress balls, and in petting my cat, and in just relaxing silently on the foot of my bed.

It's basically faith-healing. If you believe it can work, it will work. But it's your belief doing the healing, not the product. Doesn't really matter though - as long as it works, it's harmless, and not very expensive.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:52 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I had a friend awhile back who was very knowledgeable about homeopathic remedies. All I know is it even worked for my animals. When one of my cats had some very severe strange symptoms she knew just what to give him and it WORKED! My cat certainly did not experience a "placebo" effect.

That said, no I don't believe it's a cureall, but I do believe it has real value above "faith healing."

Old 11-14-2013, 05:13 PM

My opinion--for what it's worth. As a non believer in homeopathy who was given estrogen quite a few years back. The estrogen almost immediately caused severe pain and a burning sensation in my lower legs. My pcp had no explanation and no cure--he just said it was phlebitis but he had never seen anyone get it in BOTH legs--and he sent me home to just deal with it. I was walking only by holding onto things.

I was scared, and in desperation some friends recommended a woman MD who also used some herbs and homeopathy in addition to conventional medicine. I got right in to see her--she said it was inflammation of the connective tissue, not phlebitis, and proceeded to open a tiny jar and dump a few tiny white pellets under my tongue and that was it.

I protested and probably whined a little, explaining again that the pain was severe and that I had barely been able to walk from my car to her office. I didn't think she was taking me seriously. I did not just want little pellets under my tongue!

I left, downhearted, with a tiny bottle of pellets and directions to take a few every hour.

The burning in my legs was worse when my legs were raised when I sat on the recliner at home and I was telling my husband about it. But I took the next dose of silly pellets. In a few minutes the burning started to subside a little bit. I was able to sit with my legs raised and it didn't feel like my legs were on fire anymore.

Thinking it was probably just my imagination, I didn't say anything but one hour later I took the next dose. Again, there was a noticeable loss of burning. It would decline and then level off.

By bedtime and a few more doses, all burning and pain was completely gone. I experimented with raising my legs on the recliner--and no burning. I walked around the house--and no pain.

So I do believe that homeopathy, in the hands of an expert, does work. I don't put much stock in the homeopathic remedies that are sold in the stores unless you have been diagnosed by one of these rare experts who can direct you to the correct remedy and the proper dosage.

It's another one of these "impossible" things. Who would think that sticking needles into people like acupuncture does would work? It seems ridiculous. I do wish some honest research would be done by open minded people, not just by people trying to disprove it. I believe that the early developers of homeopathy were on to something--I have no idea *what* but the study and development of homeopathy shouldn't have been dropped when regular medicine took over.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I had a friend awhile back who was very knowledgeable about homeopathic remedies. All I know is it even worked for my animals. When one of my cats had some very severe strange symptoms she knew just what to give him and it WORKED! My cat certainly did not experience a "placebo" effect.

That said, no I don't believe it's a cureall, but I do believe it has real value above "faith healing."
Yes, I agree, b/c the first time I tried a HP, I had no faith whatsoever that it would work. It was silicea and I took it for falling out hair, a condition I'd been having for months and I was getting bald patches on my head and had tried a bunch of other (natural) stuff. The other remedies were ones that I felt were more likely to work, like B vitamins, but the only reason I tried silicea was because I read an article, was at my wit's end, and I could get a little bottle at the health food store for $5. I expected nothing at all except a sugar pill but I swear before the week was over my hair stopped falling out and got really springy and fluffy, though it was laying flat before, during the falling out phase and then it started to grow back in right away and I had a halo for awhile. It started back a couple of times since then, I took the S and it stopped. Made a believer out of me. I don't really care why it works as long as it does. I don't tend to discount the placebo effect either, but in my case it was not that. If it was, then why didn't the vitamins work? I actually expected them to.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My opinion--for what it's worth. As a non believer in homeopathy who was given estrogen quite a few years back. The estrogen almost immediately caused severe pain and a burning sensation in my lower legs. My pcp had no explanation and no cure--he just said it was phlebitis but he had never seen anyone get it in BOTH legs--and he sent me home to just deal with it. I was walking only by holding onto things.

I was scared, and in desperation some friends recommended a woman MD who also used some herbs and homeopathy in addition to conventional medicine. I got right in to see her--she said it was inflammation of the connective tissue, not phlebitis, and proceeded to open a tiny jar and dump a few tiny white pellets under my tongue and that was it.

I protested and probably whined a little, explaining again that the pain was severe and that I had barely been able to walk from my car to her office. I didn't think she was taking me seriously. I did not just want little pellets under my tongue!

I left, downhearted, with a tiny bottle of pellets and directions to take a few every hour.

The burning in my legs was worse when my legs were raised when I sat on the recliner at home and I was telling my husband about it. But I took the next dose of silly pellets. In a few minutes the burning started to subside a little bit. I was able to sit with my legs raised and it didn't feel like my legs were on fire anymore.

Thinking it was probably just my imagination, I didn't say anything but one hour later I took the next dose. Again, there was a noticeable loss of burning. It would decline and then level off.

By bedtime and a few more doses, all burning and pain was completely gone. I experimented with raising my legs on the recliner--and no burning. I walked around the house--and no pain.

So I do believe that homeopathy, in the hands of an expert, does work. I don't put much stock in the homeopathic remedies that are sold in the stores unless you have been diagnosed by one of these rare experts who can direct you to the correct remedy and the proper dosage.

It's another one of these "impossible" things. Who would think that sticking needles into people like acupuncture does would work? It seems ridiculous. I do wish some honest research would be done by open minded people, not just by people trying to disprove it. I believe that the early developers of homeopathy were on to something--I have no idea *what* but the study and development of homeopathy shouldn't have been dropped when regular medicine took over.
You probably just had an allergic reaction to something - the estrogen (especially if it was a cream), or even something else you were using while also using the estrogen (in other words, coincidentally). And as with all allergic reactions - the ones that don't kill you, do eventually wear off. All by themselves. So no, I'm not buying that the homeopathy cured you of what was probably just an allergic reaction that had already started wearing off by itself by the time you started taking the pills.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You probably just had an allergic reaction to something - the estrogen (especially if it was a cream), or even something else you were using while also using the estrogen (in other words, coincidentally). And as with all allergic reactions - the ones that don't kill you, do eventually wear off. All by themselves. So no, I'm not buying that the homeopathy cured you of what was probably just an allergic reaction that had already started wearing off by itself by the time you started taking the pills.
I have to respectfully differ. I did not have an allergic reaction. I took estrogen pills and I only took them for a few days. Neither doctor ever mentioned allergy and I wasn't taking anything else. The woman doctor specialized in "female" conditions and she knew what it was. It was not an allergy, not to estrogen or to anything else.

It did not wear off. I described how the pain and burning decreased step by step, little by little, each time I took the pills during the course of an evening. This is after about a week of extreme burning and pain in my legs. That is what happened to me. I was there. You were not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine