Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

First thing in the morning is for me...anything that says it gets rid of bacteria
or toxins is for me! I get the no alcohol thing.
Good luck with this...it seems to be doing 'something'....but I have also
started making a strong probiotic culture of kefir or something supposed to be miraculous and I feel
great from that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Not sure why you'd have a problem with alcohol, Miss Hepburn. Alcohol kills germs on contact. It kills bacteria too. That makes it a perfect candidate for anyone who says "anything that says it gets rid of bacteria." Alcohol should be #1 on your list, because it's inexpensive, easy to apply, and you just have to be 21 or older to get it legally, no need to send away for it on the internet.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,008 times
"Alcohol basically draws the water right out of the body. This by itself or when combined with other factors can lead to dehydration. This is part of what is happening when a person has a hangover. Too much water has been removed form the body and this leaves the body vulnerable to dehydration.
So if alcohol can dry out the mouth then you would want to avoid products that have too much alcohol in them, right? You should know that traditional mouthwash products have high alcohol contents. This can actually cause these mouthwash products to dry out your mouth further."
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Can-C...th?&id=3636683

This is a quote from an online article. I am not saying that using these kinds of products are harmful for everyone but for some the alcohol creates problems.

Last edited by talloolla; 02-26-2014 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
First thing in the morning is for me...anything that says it gets rid of bacteria
or toxins is for me! I get the no alcohol thing.
Good luck with this...it seems to be doing 'something'....but I have also
started making a strong probiotic culture of kefir or something supposed to be miraculous and I feel
great from that, too.
I have been told to do it in the morning and evening - but always on a empty/near empty stomach as it can cause nausea. Also, it does not have to be a very aggressive rinse - which is good because that sounds like a long time to swish madly. Good luck to us both!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
"Alcohol basically draws the water right out of the body. This by itself or when combined with other factors can lead to dehydration. This is part of what is happening when a person has a hangover. Too much water has been removed form the body and this leaves the body vulnerable to dehydration.
So if alcohol can dry out the mouth then you would want to avoid products that have too much alcohol in them, right? You should know that traditional mouthwash products have high alcohol contents. This can actually cause these mouthwash products to dry out your mouth further."
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Can-C...th?&id=3636683

This is a quote from an online article. I am not saying that using these kinds of products are harmful for everyone but for some the alcohol creates problems.
If you drink it, yes. But there's nothing in this thread referencing -drinking- anything. Unless your oil pulling involves swallowing the oil you've spent 20 minutes sluicing between your teeth and gathering the dirt, bacteria, and saliva from. The whole point is putting something in your mouth, manipulating it, and then spitting it back out.

Alcohol won't cause dehydration if you're spitting it back out. Alcohol won't dry out the mouth; your saliva glands keep it moist.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 AM

20 posts, read 54,797 times
I've tried with coconut oil for just a few days so far. My gums used to bleed sometimes when I floss and they don't anymore so it seems to be having an effect. Teeth seem a little whiter also. I've tried to do it for 20 minutes each time. It feels gross in your mouth, like you have mouthful of saliva and that takes getting used to.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,227 times
I tell everyone I know about oil pulling as long as I think they'll be receptive. It's not quackery, but it is strange...

My sister told her coworker who had a horrible toothache. The coworker went home and pulled with olive oil and the pain went away! She told my sister to thank me, because the pain was excruciating.

Another person I shared it with pulled with olive oil also and immediately felt his mouth being cleaner. I have pulled with sunflower oil (mild), grapeseed oil (mild), and pure black sesame oil (too strong). I am sticking with coconut oil and find it easy to do and I think I'm seeing better results with coconut oil--and mine is refined, too! Maybe because coconut oil just naturally has a lot of healing powers. The coconut oil quickly dissolves in the mouth.

Results?

* Tingling in hands and feet greatly reduced. Tingling used to come when I knit, crochet or hold steering wheel when I drive. Felt it when I woke up in morning. Now? No tingling when I drive and sometimes very, very light pain when I get out of bed.

* Cleaner mouth. No plaque, fresher breath...

* No tooth pain. My dentist can't figure out why I have pain in one area, but I it doesn't matter, since I refuse to let him drill or cap it. Coconut oil (and oregano oil) will relieve toothaches, so pulling with coconut oil should be 10x better than just applying it to the pain.

* Better skin? I don't know...my husband told me my skin looks radiant.

* I guess my teeth are whiter.

It might be curing other problems I don't know about. I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., which oil pulling is suppose to be able to cure. There are so many benefits, they say, and it's so easy. I do get lazy at times, but now it's a ritual: first thing in the morning while I make breakfast for the kids and pack their lunches.

So I'm oil pulling and paying attention to my body's pH level and I feel great. Everyone in the house got sick recently. My 3 year-old sneezed on me, coughed on me...his spit landed in my eye a couple of times when he talked. My husband felt miserable and tried to share his pain with me. I felt like I was coming down with something and quickly took my fish oil and nipped it in the bud.

Oh, sorry...you asked about oil pulling and I'm now talking about something else. Oil pulling--tell everyone you know, but be prepared for them to think you're nuts.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Oil pulling is on the front page of cbsnews.com this morning.

Quote:
"Oil pulling" used by some to boost oral health: Does it work?

Most nights you might swish mouthwash around your teeth to stave off cavities and gum disease, but some folks are turning to a more slippery solution to gargle: oil.

Oil pulling -- or swishing and gargling oil in the mouth -- has long been used in traditional Indian culture because it was thought to prevent disease and eliminate toxins from the body. As CBS affiliate KHOU in Houston points out, some modern practitioners believe it improves oral health.

"Oil pulling" used by some to boost oral health: Will it work? - CBS News
And here's more on it from the Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine..

Tooth brushing, oil pulling and tissue regeneration: A review of holistic approaches to oral health

Old 03-13-2014, 01:53 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Oil pulling is on the front page of cbsnews.com this morning.

And here's more on it from the Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine..

Tooth brushing, oil pulling and tissue regeneration: A review of holistic approaches to oral health
Wow, that's great. Thanks for sharing it. There are so many natural remedies out there and some really are scams, but with this one, I thought--what the heck? I have everything I need at home, so I gave it a few tries and I think it works! I hope others will try it too.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,934 times
I've been oil pulling with coconut oil for 2 wks now and loving how it makes my mouth feel ! My lips are softer and healthier looking, my teeth are whiter and I feel like I've been to the dentist for my annual teeth cleaning. Actually it's been a year since I've been and my teeth look better than they do after the dental hygienist cleans them !

I wish I had taken 'before' photos. I've had the teeth whitening done before at a dentist and saw no change after paying a large amount of money and going through a very inconvenient process. I'm telling friends and family to give it a try. It definitely can't hurt and the cost is minimal. YMMV !!!

Oh yeah I forgot. I was watching the show "The Doctors" on Wednesday afternoon and they brought up coconut oil at the end of the show as one of the best products under $6 for overall health using it for your mouth health and on your skin as well as cooking with it. Not really news to me as I've been using coconut oil for several years now, as well as coconut milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Wow, that's great. Thanks for sharing it. There are so many natural remedies out there and some really are scams, but with this one, I thought--what the heck? I have everything I need at home, so I gave it a few tries and I think it works! I hope others will try it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine