Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd try it as I have coconut oil (I have a strong gag reflex but I really like coconut so thought it might work) - did NOT work, how can you stand to have it in your mouth until it melts? I had to spit it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
So it only took a few months for the "cavity" to go away? I've heard similar stories, but don't know of anyone personally who's been able to reverse a cavity. Some people have said their filling popped out as the tooth healed itself. That's pretty amazing and I hope my daughter will see similar results.

I made an appt for the fillings, but I'm going to cancel it. My daughter can't handle getting a vaccine, so I'm not sure how she'll do with fillings. The doctor said if she's that's queasy about needles, then she can get laughing gas instead. Uh...no thank you.

My daughter gagged at the thought of oil pulling, even though she sees me doing it. She finally agreed to do it, so I am praying that it will improve her dental health.
Yes I just don't even know if there was a cavity b/c that was a different dentist, and now I've gotten back from the new dentist today and he did find another one and he showed it to me--this one actually takes photos, which is fascinating. This cavity is after OP for a couple of months, mostly every day.

However, it does stand to reason that a cavity can heal, given the right conditions. Teeth are bones and bones can heal, right? I read an article once by a woman who gave her son some Weston Price x-factor butter oil, and that healed his cavity within a month or two, and I've heard some pretty amazing claims for the stuff, but when I went back and tried to find the article again to post on here, I couldn't. If I find it I'll put it up though.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I thought I'd try it as I have coconut oil (I have a strong gag reflex but I really like coconut so thought it might work) - did NOT work, how can you stand to have it in your mouth until it melts? I had to spit it out.
I had to start out with a tiny amount, nowhere near the tablespoon that I've read is recommended.

It also helps to heat it, either by placing it in a cup and partially immersing the cup in hot water, or in the microwave.

I also alternate between coconut oil and olive or sunflower oil, whichever I have handy. You might want to try an oil that's liquid at room temperature.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I just tried it for the first time, about a tsp of coconut oil and I gently swished it around for twenty minutes. After the first few minutes it wasn't at all unpleasant, and after I spit it out, my mouth felt (and still feels) fantastic! Also, the coconut oil leaves a very slight but pleasant taste.

I am going to give this a try in the morning!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:21 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just tried it for the first time, about a tsp of coconut oil and I gently swished it around for twenty minutes. After the first few minutes it wasn't at all unpleasant, and after I spit it out, my mouth felt (and still feels) fantastic! Also, the coconut oil leaves a very slight but pleasant taste.

I am going to give this a try in the morning!
Agree! It leaves the teeth and oral cavity feeling clean and refreshed, just like when you come out of the dentist's office after a cleaning.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:28 PM

823 posts, read 1,783,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
My 7 year-old refused to oil pull, but I didn't give up, especially after the dentist found some small cavities in her mouth. On the first try, she gagged. Now she can swish coconut oil for about 2 minutes before she spits it out.

I thought having the solid coconut oil in my mouth would be weird, but I use about a teaspoon and it melts very fast. I just finished a jar of refined coconut oil and can't wait to start the unrefined version. Give it a try again. It's not that bad and you'll get used to it.

Black sesame was just too strong. I have not tried olive oil, because olive oil can have a strong flavor also. Coconut oil is very mild.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I really want to try this but the thought of it grosses me out. Is it not as bad as I'm imagining? Do people build up to the 20 minutes? I guess I will try tomorrow as I have coconut oil but I am curious as to how others started.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I really want to try this but the thought of it grosses me out. Is it not as bad as I'm imagining? Do people build up to the 20 minutes? I guess I will try tomorrow as I have coconut oil but I am curious as to how others started.
When I first started I did about 2 minutes worth. I did a small amount, no more than a teaspoon full. After a couple of days of doing that, I became more used to it and increased the time. I'm doing about 10-15 minutes now and still about a tsp full or maybe a little more. I try to start it just before I'm going to be busy with some task, and before I realize it, the time has gone by.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times
I confess that I am not currently pulling due to a spontaneous trip to a house we are working on to make livable. No creature comforts here and I just can't bring myself to doubt. However, before I left home I did find sone success. I failed at doing this first thing in the morning. It just made me gag and feel nauseous. I was however able to get through about 5 minutes of swishing AFTER my morning coffee. I am not sure if it was having something on my stomach or having a taste in my mouth but it worked. I am looking forward to getting back home and starting again.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Here is what surprised me. After doing it twice yesterday (the first time just a few minutes, and the second time for 20 minutes) I was surprised to find myself looking forward to it today. I am using coconut oil and only about a teaspoon. Is it my imagination or does it cause a decrease in appetite? I say that because it seems to maybe coat the mouth? Anyway, after the initial shock of how it feels, I am over that now and have no problem holding it in my mouth and swishing it around for ten minutes or so - after that I get a little antsy.

But I love the way my mouth feels afterwards and I really actually like the mild coconut taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine