Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:05 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If by "curing cancer" you mean it killed the patient then yes I'm sure some cancers could be "cured" by drinking hydrogen peroxide.

FDA Warns Consumers Against Drinking High-Strength Hydrogen Peroxide for Medicinal Use
Hum... the same could be said of 'standard' cancer treatments

The link says "one related death in Texas..." (before 1989) -- I just would have thought there would/could have been WAY more, if it's so dangerous.... just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:53 PM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This on takes the cake.

Any chemist (which I am) knows the H2O2 is a potent oxidizing agent. It CREATES free radicals which PROMOTE oxidation. In fact, it is used to catalyse many free-radical reactions. In this regard it isn't chemically different than the tube of catalyst they give you to harden auto body filler. The only reason it's not doing major, acute damage to you is that it's also unstable and readily decomposes to water and oxygen. However - it does so by a free radical mechanism that generates hydroxyl radicals. Did you know that hydroxyl radicals are responsible for the decomposition of plastics (as when it gets old and brittle)?

Using it topically in dilute form is one thing. Drinking it is quite another. And if you think it "cured cancer" then it either wasn't cancer or it was in remission anyway. And if you believe that eating foods "rich in natural antioxidants" is the way to go, then drinking this stuff is completely undoing any benefit that all your blueberries and pomegranates might bring.

Feel free to believe that this is doing you some good, if your belief system causes you to think that well established science is a plot or just propaganda from the industrial/chem/pharma/govt machine. Good luck with that.
Hydroxyl radicals. Good to know. Just so I'm crystal clear, those radicals negate the additional of hydrogen and oxygen to cells?

I have used it a few times to see the effect. The first few times I most definitely felt a surge in energy (not placebo effect ) i was assuming it was from the oxygen although I understand o2 is a free radical. My lungs do not take in enough due to some minor lung compression from scoliosis. Last few time, i felt pressure behind my eyes- as if i swallowed hydrogen peroxide kinda feeling- so i stopped.

It's still in my freezer. Would love to know any other good uses for it besides chucking it.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Hydroxyl radicals. Good to know. Just so I'm crystal clear, 1. those radicals negate the additional of hydrogen and oxygen to cells?

I have used it a few times to see the effect. The first few times I most definitely felt a surge in energy (not placebo effect ) i was assuming it was from the oxygen although 2. I understand o2 is a free radical. My lungs do not take in enough due to some minor lung compression from scoliosis. Last few time, i felt pressure behind my eyes- as if i swallowed hydrogen peroxide kinda feeling- so i stopped.

It's still in my freezer. Would love to know any other good uses for it besides chucking it.
1. This statement has no basis in chemistry or cellular biology.
2. No. O2, oxygen, is not a free radical. It is a relative stable molecule unless acted upon is some way. A free radical is a structure with an unbonded electron that is able to chemically react with whatever is in proximity (on a molecular scale). Free radicals can cleave DNA, polymerize monomers, depolymerize polymers and much else. They are also at the root of many (most!) degradation reactions. O2 DOES cause oxidation to many materials.

Moderator cut: please, you can disagree but do so politely. No bashing

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-02-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Hum... the same could be said of 'standard' cancer treatments

The link says "one related death in Texas..." (before 1989) -- I just would have thought there would/could have been WAY more, if it's so dangerous.... just sayin'
Since H2O2 isn't regulated by the FDA and any moron can drink peroxide if they choose without it having to be reported to any regulatory agency, there likely have been WAY more injuries and deaths.....just saying

Also, unlike 'standard' cancer treatments which actually have a track record of curing cancer, the next person "cured" of cancer by drinking peroxide will be the first, seeing as it has never happened before

Old 09-03-2014, 01:54 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Kletter,

It is a disappointment to ask a legitimate and relevant question from a professional "chemist" on a message board yet not get an actual answer. I have been interested in this subject for a while and was very excited to see that a professional chemist was chiming in to help myself and others understand it better.

I did some more layman research on O2 and free radicals . My research indicates that although O2 is NOT a free radical, it is a precursor to many free radicals (or most or all?). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And please forgive my "tablet typos" in the first part of my question. What I was wondering was that if you were to add pure hydrogen and oxygen to the body, not in H2O2 form, would this in any way be helpful to the body?

Thank you.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Kletter,

It is a disappointment to ask a legitimate and relevant question from a professional "chemist" on a message board yet not get an actual answer. I have been interested in this subject for a while and was very excited to see that a professional chemist was chiming in to help myself and others understand it better.

I did some more layman research on O2 and free radicals . My research indicates that although O2 is NOT a free radical, it is a precursor to many free radicals (or most or all?). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And please forgive my "tablet typos" in the first part of my question. What I was wondering was that if you were to add pure hydrogen and oxygen to the body, not in H2O2 form, would this in any way be helpful to the body?

Thank you.
Actually I think I did answer the question "Hydroxyl radicals. Good to know. Just so I'm crystal clear, those radicals negate the additional of hydrogen and oxygen to cells?" Unfortunately the question itself doesn't just make sense chemically. "Adding pure O2 and H2 to the body" also needs a lot of restatement to make sense. When you breathe you're adding oxygen to the body. When you breathe O2 from a tank you're adding more oxygen. Does this have any effect? Well, maybe, if your lungs don't work right or you have a heart condition. Sitting in a hyperbaric O2 chamber would add O2 to your body, but it's far from clear what that would accomplish. I'm not aware of effect of breathing or otherwise ingesting hydrogen. Free hydrogen (the gas) has no direct biological effect that I'm aware of. Anyway, talking about radicals, O2, H2 etc in isolation is a very incomplete way of thinking about what's going on at a cellular, biochemical level. Biology just doesn't work that way.

As for O2 being a precursor for radicals, that's kind of true. Peroxides are a broad class of molecules centered around 2 oxygen atoms in a line. If the bond between the oxygens is broken the result is 2 free radicals. But you don't get peroxides from gaseous oxygen, they are formed by much more complex pathways. The bottom line, IMO, is that unless you have a lung or heart problem, adding or subtrating O2 from your system (except by breathing) is trying to outsmart a very complex system - your body - that works quite well. When skiing at high altitude I've been known to take oxygen hits. Truth be told I couldn't say that it had any effect, at least not on me at 12,000 ft.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 09-04-2014 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: omitted a key point

Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If by "curing cancer" you mean it killed the patient then yes I'm sure some cancers could be "cured" by drinking hydrogen peroxide.

FDA Warns Consumers Against Drinking High-Strength Hydrogen Peroxide for Medicinal Use
Nobody flat out drank it and nobody used high strength peroxide. It was food grade and highly diluted. You may not have caught that in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine