Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Agree?
As a guy who likes an occasional adult beverage or two, I make sure to take plenty of milk thistle and I've been doing it for years now.

Hope it's doing me some good.
I wanted to point out that many of the benefits come from its bitterness. So you do not get all the effects if you take it in a capsule. For example milk thistle only cleanses the liver and stimulates the gallbladder when used as a bitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A naturopath told me that an MD had a case of poisoning and he knew enough to call the naturopath and get milk thistle before the person's liver was poisoned. I think it was a mushroom the person had eaten and it kills the liver. Anyway the milk thistle saved the person's life. Good stuff.
Enjoy!

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...oom-poisoning/

Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 AM

566 posts, read 1,107,069 times
Quote:
Miss H -- I did know that the liver repairs itself, but didn't specifically know when.
I take the milk thistle with my dinner each night.

I also take acidophilus pills each day to help with digestion.

The kind of stuff that your doctor will never tell you!
Someone sent Me the following in an email when I voiced concern over wine drinks. But I didn't really pay attention since I do Milk Thistle regularly and have stopped drinking TOTALLY for five months now. Just don't want to chance anything. Will take resveratrol in some other fashion ;-):

Liver Regeneration – Glycyrrhizin, a compound found within licorice, and which we recently featured as a powerful anti-SARS virus agent, has also been found to stimulate the regeneration of liver mass and function in the animal model of hepatectomy. Other liver regenerative substances include:
  1. Carvacrol (a volatile compound in oregano)
  2. Curcumin
  3. Korean Ginseng
  4. Rooibos
  5. Vitamin E
[view the first-hand biomedical citations on the Liver Regeneration research page]

Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 AM

6 posts, read 5,301 times
I've also heard about milk thistle. Its really great for the liver. I'll be in your touch till your next updates. Keep it up.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Agree?
As a guy who likes an occasional adult beverage or two, I make sure to take plenty of milk thistle and I've been doing it for years now.

Hope it's doing me some good.
Yes. So are artichokes and if you ever want to do a liver cleanse, raw beet juice will really help to purge your liver. They say to go slow with beets and start out only putting 1/4 beet in your juicer. I decided to ignore the warning and put a whole one in mixed with a bunch of celery. Wow talk about getting rid of gross stuff far beyond the usual poop the next morning. Beets really work!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Yes. So are artichokes and if you ever want to do a liver cleanse, raw beet juice will really help to purge your liver. They say to go slow with beets and start out only putting 1/4 beet in your juicer. I decided to ignore the warning and put a whole one in mixed with a bunch of celery. Wow talk about getting rid of gross stuff far beyond the usual poop the next morning. Beets really work!
One thing I grow every year is beets. I seem to be good at it! Right now I'm just eating the greens but when the beets themselves are large enough, we'll be devouring them. I didn't know they were so cleansing but my husband and I both love beets and we always feel better after eating them. What a great all around vegetable!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:42 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One thing I grow every year is beets. I seem to be good at it! Right now I'm just eating the greens but when the beets themselves are large enough, we'll be devouring them. I didn't know they were so cleansing but my husband and I both love beets and we always feel better after eating them. What a great all around vegetable!
The important thing to remember is to get the maximum benefit from any plant, it needs to be consumed raw and ideally right after it is harvested from your organic garden.

However after it is cooked, about 25% of the benefits remain. Cooked foods are so addictive unfortunately. I love steamed beets with a little balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard. I figured out the recipe after buying some fancy marinated beets from Whole Foods. The mfr was charging some ridiculous amount of money for them. They tasted so good and the "secret" ingredients (that weren't so secret were listed on the packaging) included balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard. If you add lemon juice and minced garlic, it makes them even better. So needless to say, I never waste money buying those in the store. Rather I buy the organic beets; cut them up into bite size pieces, steam them and pour the marinade over them and let them sit for a while.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The important thing to remember is to get the maximum benefit from any plant, it needs to be consumed raw and ideally right after it is harvested from your organic garden.

However after it is cooked, about 25% of the benefits remain. Cooked foods are so addictive unfortunately. I love steamed beets with a little balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard. I figured out the recipe after buying some fancy marinated beets from Whole Foods. The mfr was charging some ridiculous amount of money for them. They tasted so good and the "secret" ingredients (that weren't so secret were listed on the packaging) included balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard. If you add lemon juice and minced garlic, it makes them even better. So needless to say, I never waste money buying those in the store. Rather I buy the organic beets; cut them up into bite size pieces, steam them and pour the marinade over them and let them sit for a while.
Mine are organic, that's one of the main reasons for having a garden in the first place. We just eat the beets steamed, same with the greens. I may try the vinegar and mustard some time but we love them just as they are. (Can't stand garlic whether it's good for you or not.)

Old 06-04-2015, 01:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
There's an even better liver supplement that contains it - it's SAT by Thorne

Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
A simple ultra low carb paleo style diet where you eliminate all but say 50-100 grams of net carbs per day while exercising and losing weight will do much more for the liver than any supplement.

Excess carbs (mainly fructose) and excess calories cause non alcoholic fatty liver disease. A low carb routine is the cure. If you have a pink tongue, clean breath, and feel good, there's no real reason to do anything.. you are healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine