Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 04:50 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Agree?
As a guy who likes an occasional adult beverage or two, I make sure to take plenty of milk thistle and I've been doing it for years now.

Hope it's doing me some good.
I love Milk Thistle, especially by Gaia Herbs. They are the best!!

I usually take milk thistle with N-A-C and glutathione. Citrus is also a great cleanser.

Whatever you do try to avoid buying or consuming non-organic white sugar, which is formaldehyde.

Dandelion tea is also beneficial in liver cleansing.

And, for overall health, add trace minerals if you use a filtration system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
There's a good liver supplement you can buy by Integrative Therapeutics (an excellent manufacturer of other supplements, too)--Lipotrophic Complex. It's got methionine and choline in it, folate & some herbs, which are good for the liver. Can prevent Fatty Liver specifically. This article has solid research about it.
Choline Metabolism Provides Novel Insights into Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and its Progression

Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Let me blow the trumpets again for milk thistle.
My liver enzymes were elevated each of the last two physicals I had -- in '08 and '12.
I started taking milk thistle daily after the '12 physical. Had a new physical done a few weeks ago, blood work ordered and just got the results. My liver enzymes are now normal. This stuff works!!! No side effects -- should be taken by everyone.....if your liver is functioning well, that's a big step towards good health.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
I only eat bananas.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:32 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Charles22 -- All you eat is bananas...nothing else. Am I missing something here.

I've been using Milk Thistle for years. I just looked at my last labs and numbers are good for my almost 78 yr old liver, we are numbers we all know that huh....my dad abused his liver all his life and I'm sure they never did labs for him way back and he lived to almost 96...not saying to do what he did but just sayin, mom too but she did not imbibe alcohol.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-11-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 02:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Let me blow the trumpets again for milk thistle.
My liver enzymes were elevated each of the last two physicals I had -- in '08 and '12.
I started taking milk thistle daily after the '12 physical. Had a new physical done a few weeks ago, blood work ordered and just got the results. My liver enzymes are now normal. This stuff works!!! No side effects -- should be taken by everyone.....if your liver is functioning well, that's a big step towards good health.
Can you share what dosage you took? Do you think your liver enzymes would have returned to normal anyway, without the milk thistle?

I know the VA uses milk thistle for alcoholic liver. I'm not a drinker but I take milk thistle and have been told that if you can only take one supplement, this would be it. The liver is a vital organ. (I think my liver damage was caused by birth control pills.)

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-11-2016 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 06:27 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Our vet actually prescribed 150mg of milk thistle and 525mg of SAM-e for our 90lb 11 year old lab to get his liver numbers to a better place before surgery. It worked.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Can you share what dosage you took? Do you think your liver enzymes would have returned to normal anyway, without the milk thistle?

I know the VA uses milk thistle for alcoholic liver. I'm not a drinker but I take milk thistle and have been told that if you can only take one supplement, this would be it. The liver2 is a vital organ. (I think my liver damage was caused by birth control pills.)

Sure thing. I am currently taking (2) 175mg capsules each night with my dinner. The suggested dosage is 1 capsule, but I double it.
P.S. I'm not a daily drinker by any means, but I've enjoyed my beverages over the years. I'm doubting that the enzymes would have corrected themselves without the milk thistle, considering they were elevated in both of those physical exams, 4 years apart.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:42 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Sure thing. I am currently taking (2) 175mg capsules each night with my dinner. The suggested dosage is 1 capsule, but I double it.
P.S. I'm not a daily drinker by any means, but I've enjoyed my beverages over the years. I'm doubting that the enzymes would have corrected themselves without the milk thistle, considering they were elevated in both of those physical exams, 4 years apart.
Thank you. It's a VERY important supplement.

Mine is 175 mg milk thistle extract seed that contains 80% silymarin 140%. It says to take it three times a day with liquid before mealtimes. I wonder if it's better to spread the dosage apart as they say or take the two at once as you do. This gets expensive but it's worth it.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you. It's a VERY important supplement.

Mine is 175 mg milk thistle extract seed that contains 80% silymarin 140%. It says to take it three times a day with liquid before mealtimes. I wonder if it's better to spread the dosage apart as they say or take the two at once as you do. This gets expensive but it's worth it.

I don't think that will make much of a difference either way.
In any event, maybe these postings will help some people. It's amazing to me how many people never look to investigate natural herbs & supplements. It never even crosses their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine