Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

For those who FEAR iodine, look at seaweed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11376555

I worked with some seaweed years ago but decided Iosol was best in my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:42 PM

Found this book with the further reading I'm doing on the iodine and diabetes issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Iodine-Crisis...&sortBy=recent

Old 10-22-2016, 11:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I'm not sure who these people are who FEAR iodine? And the use of the word phobia is inappropriate.

I eat seaweed (kombu, wakami, etc.), yogurt, etc.

I'm all for getting your RDA, but why the push for additional iodine?

While I don't get my info here, it is a site you will listen to:

Too Much Iodine May Lead to Subclinical Hypothyroidism

....The new study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, revealed that study participants taking relatively higher doses of supplemental iodine -- 400 micrograms a day and more – paradoxically began developing subclinical hypothyroidism. The finding highlights precisely why you need to be very careful with taking supplemental iodine, as taking too much can lead to health problems.

In fact, I don't generally advise taking iodine supplements like Lugol's or Ioderol, .....

Natural Dietary Sources of Iodine in Food

The upper limits for iodine are listed below. These levels do not apply to people who are taking iodine for medical reasons under the care of a doctor.

Life Stage Upper Limit
Birth to 12 months: Not established
Children 1–3 years: 200 mcg
Children 4–8 years: 300 mcg
Children 9–13 years: 600 mcg
Teens 14–18 years: 900 mcg
Adults: 1,100 mcg

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-Consumer/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-22-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not sure who these people are who FEAR iodine? And the use of the word phobia is inappropriate.

I eat seaweed (kombu, wakami, etc.), yogurt, etc.

I'm all for getting your RDA, but why the push for additional iodine?

While I don't get my info here, it is a site you will listen to:

Too Much Iodine May Lead to Subclinical Hypothyroidism

....The new study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, revealed that study participants taking relatively higher doses of supplemental iodine -- 400 micrograms a day and more – paradoxically began developing subclinical hypothyroidism. The finding highlights precisely why you need to be very careful with taking supplemental iodine, as taking too much can lead to health problems.

In fact, I don't generally advise taking iodine supplements like Lugol's or Ioderol, .....

Natural Dietary Sources of Iodine in Food

The upper limits for iodine are listed below. These levels do not apply to people who are taking iodine for medical reasons under the care of a doctor.

Life Stage Upper Limit
Birth to 12 months: Not established
Children 1–3 years: 200 mcg
Children 4–8 years: 300 mcg
Children 9–13 years: 600 mcg
Teens 14–18 years: 900 mcg
Adults: 1,100 mcg

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-Consumer/
That is you, but I'd say the majority and most here on C-D fear iodine use. Look at the Iodine Crisis book, most are deficient. And I'd say MOST in the U.S. don't consume enough sea foods.

Also, I've been on iodine groups and want to keep my breast tissues with enough iodine. All body tissues need iodine. That's good that you feel you are getting enough.

Look at the newest info on diabetes and iodine...how many doctors talk to their patients about this nutrient.

And then there is the fluorides that most in the U.S. ingest that pulls iodine from their bodies.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:00 PM

My multi vitamin contains 100% of RDA of iodine.

Did someone TELL you they have a fear of iodine? Does a friend go to shrink for her phobia of iodine?

I'm just wondering who these people are that you are talking about?

Old 10-22-2016, 12:09 PM

I don't trust the U.S. RDA's...we in the U.S. have twice the breast cancers as those in Japan where most I've read get about 12mg of iodine with their foods.

I know when I've skipped my drops of iodine I end up with breast pain and tenderness...so I've learned just with this experience.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't trust the U.S. RDA's...we in the U.S. have twice the breast cancers as those in Japan where most I've read get about 12mg of iodine with their foods.

I know when I've skipped my drops of iodine I end up with breast pain and tenderness...so I've learned just with this experience.

The Japanese also eat very little protein, lots of rice, and veggies.

There diet is so different from most Americans - why pick out the iodine?

Old 10-22-2016, 05:30 PM

Aren't seafoods protein for the japanese. Why do I choose iodine and the japanese is because much is reported about two variances in iodine intake. Here is an excellent amount of info from
Dr. Myhill in the UK.

Iodine - what is the correct daily dose? - DoctorMyhill

For example I had a salmon filet for my breakfast today and to me that is my protein.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 PM

Here is another school of information and Halide connection is mentioned, as is the Japanese connection. No where have I mentioned mega dosing, please be clear on that. I'm comfortable with my 1-3 drops daily which is under 6mg. I happen to think the U.S. RDA of 150mcg is LOW. Just like most of everything, there are 100's of links and each one can be a little different. I know I feel good on what I do and appreciate no breast pains and do believe all our tissues need iodine. On the mega dosing, I've read it's used in some cancer treatments. I'm open to that.

And just perhaps due to low iodine intake by MOST, we have more HypoT health issues. I know I went for 10 years with what I believed was a sluggish thyroid and maybe IF I had been aware of iodine back then maybe I could have fixed it myself. Now I'm on thyroid med for about 14 yrs and I'm not going back to try to change things.

Iodine: How Much is Too Much? | Paleo Leap

Old 10-23-2016, 05:45 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I do agree that perhaps a large majority of people in the US are deficient in iodine, due to not eating enough seafood or sea vegetables. My entire life I ate a lot of seafood, plus I have taken kelp supplements now for 30 or 40 years. I have NO deficiency whatsoever, my thyroid is very healthy.

Too many people don't like fish or seafood or eat poor quality stuff. I personally eat a lot of sardines, which is one of the healthiest foods you can eat, they are nutrient dense and low calorie - lots of protein, potassium, magnesium, omega 3s etc. I eat them a few times a week in addition to other seafoods (and the kelp suppelments.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine