Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Here is more info for those who would rather NOT do cataract surgery. I was told about 20 yrs ago I had cloudy eyes. I was in my 50's.

Cataracts - WholeHealth Chicago

They did not recommend magnesium?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They did not recommend magnesium?
So, not every site recommends EVERYTHING!!!!! Like people no site with information is Perfect and knows it all.

Thinking about this whole cataract surgery and millions are done. I can hear it now...a patient goes in for eye exams and the eye doc is saying, looks like cataracts are forming on your eyes, it could be a matter of time before you NEED cataract surgery. That was pretty much the dialogue to me 20 yrs ago but I guess I was deep enough into alternative healing to "hold off" and do nothing, keep taking my grape seed extract (21 yrs soon). Not knowing I was doing good for my eye health too.

This surgery is not inevitable for everyone. I'm seeing thru this more and more. Again another distrust for the surgery world vs helping the patient with Prevention to do NO surgeries.

More surgeries keep the surgeon in a more comfortable lifestyle.

Antioxidants to keep our eyes healthy...Prevention Folks!!

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-02-2016 at 06:19 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 07:05 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Well, in my case, I did not want to prevent cataracts; in fact I wanted to get them. My eyesight was very, very poor. Glasses for me were at least $800. My eye doctor would only tell me that I had the beginnings of the beginnings of cataracts.

A few years later she said my eyes would now qualify for surgery. Hoooray!

It's not that I did anything to help the cataracts get worse (although I was tempted, lol.) I continued to wear sunglasses and I still took my antioxidants (although I had no idea they could help prevent cataracts.) I just waited and when it was time for my next eye exam she said she could not correct my eyes with new glasses. I had sort of been wondering why I kept needing more light to see and now it made sense.

My vision isn't perfect now and I still need glasses but at least I'm no longer blind as a bat like I used to be. If I lost my glasses now, I could still get around. I could get out of the house in case of emergency, something I used to worry about before when I could barely see my hand in front of my face and definitely couldn't see across the room except for a blur. At my age, I've had very few surgeries and I'll do anything I can to never need hip or knee replacements--but this cataract surgery has improved my vision dramatically. I haven't seen this well since I was about five years old--to me it's a miracle.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 PM

I don't know any other stories like yours. My eyes have always been pretty good although I'd had corrective lens since my early 20's. One eye was 20/200 called lazy eye, the other eye was pretty good. Reading glasses needed since my early 40's I think. But I do believe for MANY, cataract surgery can be prevented.

My corrective lens haven't changed in over 7 yrs, so I guess for me, I'm doing something good.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 PM

My Mom got cataracts and they fixed her vision at the same time as the cataract removal...... she was so happy. All paid for by medi care or caid?

I just had my eye exam and the technology now is incredible. Computer mapping of the back of my eye, mapping of the moisture and curvature..... it's like the future. He could tell I had high blood pressure and allergies.

The only thing my eye doctor is big on is fish oil and only a certain process that makes it the most potent.

I certainly don't feel my doctor is uneducated in any area and certainly not hiding any information from me.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My Mom got cataracts and they fixed her vision at the same time as the cataract removal...... she was so happy. All paid for by medi care or caid?

I just had my eye exam and the technology now is incredible. Computer mapping of the back of my eye, mapping of the moisture and curvature..... it's like the future. He could tell I had high blood pressure and allergies.

The only thing my eye doctor is big on is fish oil and only a certain process that makes it the most potent.

I certainly don't feel my doctor is uneducated in any area and certainly not hiding any information from me.
There is a whole population of people who would rather not have surgery of any kind. I'm one of them and regret pretty much every day the hip job that I live and limp with and hope I can walk when I get up.

My mom did the surgery too and I think OK, drops every day etc. but OK. As I said millions do the surgery and if that's what they want, ok for them. There are always risks to any surgery. I prefer no surgery.

MOST MD's make their living with drugs and surgery. They are not into prevention. The majority of our population is NOT into prevention, slowly working toward that end, but it's a conventional medicine population. I've been at this for over 25 yrs and still learning to stay out of docs/hospitals.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-04-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 10:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Here is more info for those who would rather NOT do cataract surgery. I was told about 20 yrs ago I had cloudy eyes. I was in my 50's.

Cataracts - WholeHealth Chicago
From the link you provided...

"Cataract surgery is truly a wonder of modern medicine"

"While no medicine is available to reverse cataracts"

"Once a cataract has formed, it cannot be reversed and surgery may be needed to remove it if there is interference with vision"

Old 09-11-2016, 02:31 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
MOST MD's make their living with drugs and surgery. They are not into prevention.
That is false. MDs recommend things to prevent disease every day, including lifestyle changes - diet and exercise - and such things as vaccines.

For example, any MD who treats hypertension, diabetes, or heart disease will recommend lifestyle changes as the first step in addressing the condition.

Very few MDs dispense medications, so they do not "make their living with drugs". They do not earn more whether they write a prescription during an office visit or not.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is false. MDs recommend things to prevent disease every day, including lifestyle changes - diet and exercise - and such things as vaccines.

For example, any MD who treats hypertension, diabetes, or heart disease will recommend lifestyle changes as the first step in addressing the condition.

Very few MDs dispense medications, so they do not "make their living with drugs". They do not earn more whether they write a prescription during an office visit or not.

I totally agree, but want to add:

Most people will NOT instigate the lifestyle choices made by their doctors and it is no uncommon for them to get mad at the doctors for that recommendation and want medication.

They want the easy fix. So are a lot of these posts recommending taking supplements............ it's just a different pill.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 PM

If most took food based supplements and herbals, they could escape toxic lab produced drugs.

If one is so against supplements why start arguing about the negatives. I take both but MOST supplements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine