Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The operative phrases here are bolded. Just because YOU BELIEVE it doesn't make it any more true or any more effective. Perception is reality for an individual person but it doesn't mean it is actually reality. You have convinced yourself without any actual fact to back it up.

I'm sure you haven't heard about "processing fluency". Here's a simplistic way to describe it: The more a person thinks about an idea the more easily their brain re-travels that particular mental pathway. The more the brain travels that pathway the more pleasure it gets. The person ends up more and more likely to believe the idea the longer they retrace those mental steps.

Marketers trying to sell you something know this...it makes their world turn. Potential customers do all the work but the marketer reaps the reward. Don't take my word for it....educate yourself and read about it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...22103116305595
So what have the surgeons done with all their elective surgeries and replacements? Not a business?

I will choose to do less invasive work any day vs who knows how many years of recovery from those surgeries. I live with one now 8 yrs.

Why do you think surgeons do cortisone, HA injections etc for all their troubled joint patients and then the patients end up doing replacements, and some like myself don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 12:21 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Why do you think surgeons do cortisone, HA injections etc for all their troubled joint patients and then the patients end up doing replacements, and some like myself don't.
It makes logical sense to try non-invasive treatments before taking on the obvious larger risks of surgery. Some people do get some benefit from cortisone injections at least temporarily. There are probably patients who are not in a position to jump straight into joint surgery at a given moment. Might be financial, might be due to another medical issue, might be because they don't have insurance coverage.

As for a surgeon "selling" potential patients on the idea of joint replacement...well, the big difference here is that there is proof it is an effective option; lots of proof on the hoof so to speak.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-09-2018 at 12:39 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
So what have the surgeons done with all their elective surgeries and replacements? Not a business?

I will choose to do less invasive work any day vs who knows how many years of recovery from those surgeries. I live with one now 8 yrs.

Some people may still end up doing joint replacements, but it may be years later. I have a friend who had a knee in bad shape starting in her late 20s/early 30s and she was able to put off replacement until her late 50s. I would say it is a huge benefit to put off joint replacement for almost 30 years. She was really happy that she was able to go that long without doing the replacement. Most surgeons are not really happy to do joint replacements on young, otherwise healthy young people. She was a fit woman with a healthy diet when I met her after she had her knee replacement. She worked out daily, ate a vegetarian diet, and owned a small farm/was very outdoorsy.

I had another coworker who got a knee replacement and I would estimate she is only in her early 40s and obese. She was instructed to lose weight but by the time I moved to a new job, she had made no progress. Do I think that knee will be a success? Likely not... many unsuccessful replacements are a result of people not following their doctor’s recommendations. Even with the injections, the failures are also often a result of people not following the recommendations. Some people don’t do PT, some people don’t follow through with all their appointments, etc. That’s not to say that there aren’t people like you who unfortunately still end up with failures despite all the best efforts— all joint replacements and surgeries carry some risk (I know I’d have problems with many artificial joints since I am allergic to metal, for example, but if someone didn’t know- I just can’t imagine!).

Old 11-10-2018, 11:51 AM

And the majority of the population go thru life and do no replacements in spite of joint issues. I did a replacement and live with all the complications.

I'd like to come back to this info so putting it here.

https://www.carolinahand.com/platele...ked-questions/

Further reading one has to be off anti inflammatory pain meds for a good amount of time before and after PRP....that would be tough as I deal with so much bodywide pain.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-10-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 12:30 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
And the majority of the population go thru life and do no replacements in spite of joint issues. I did a replacement and live with all the complications.

I'd like to come back to this info so putting it here.

https://www.carolinahand.com/platele...ked-questions/
From your link:

"What is the “typical” response to PRP treatment?
Research and clinical experience suggest that PRP can successfully treat pain from chronic degeneration and tears of tissue tendons, and pain from mild-moderate joint articular cartilage degeneration. It is important to understand that PRP isn’t a miracle cure. The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC estimates that their success rate for the platelet-rich plasma treatment, or PRP, is between 60 and 75 percent. (success is >50% relief of pain)."

That means 25% to 40% get less than 50% relief of their pain. Meanwhile, 95% of knee replacement patients are satisfied with their results. Note that PRP is not even a consideration for those with severe degeneration of the joint.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:05 PM

And it's true isn't it, once the knee is replaced with metal/plastic parts, cartilage is essentially all gone. I don't know about that 95% ... we don't know for sure just how many. I dread going thru the surgery/rehab and end up with a lot of issues, I've been that route already.

If I can achieve 50% or so without that drastic surgery I'm fine with that...I'm not doing marathons.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:17 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
And it's true isn't it, once the knee is replaced with metal/plastic parts, cartilage is essentially all gone. I don't know about that 95% ... we don't know for sure just how many. I dread going thru the surgery/rehab and end up with a lot of issues, I've been that route already.

If I can achieve 50% or so without that drastic surgery I'm fine with that...I'm not doing marathons.
The cartilage is essentially "all gone" before the knee is replaced. The entire joint is replaced. That is why it is called "total knee replacement".

Old 11-10-2018, 02:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:

You are 80. Many people need joint replacements in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. They want to be more active and 50% may only cut it for 5-10 years and they will still need the replacement.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:34 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The cartilage is essentially "all gone" before the knee is replaced. The entire joint is replaced. That is why it is called "total knee replacement".
I suppose there could be patients who don't believe what pre- and post-replacement x-rays actually show.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From all I hear from that about cartilage being all gone, if a person can bend the knee and walk there is cartilage there. It's when the knee isn't even bendable, frozen stiff, there is no cartilage...there is a difference.

Darrow came out and said it today on his hour program, there is so much more money to be made by medical providers with surgeries. So many more involved in them all, before and after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine